LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Seafoam!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-08, 08:12 PM
Ls4hundred
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry to revive an old thread but I just bought my first can of seafoam and it says 1 can is able to treat up to 25 gallons of fuel so is it safe just to pour the whole can into my tank (23.5 gallons) or is that excessive?
Old 03-04-08, 08:59 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

its a waste IMHO, you'll see better results through the intake/gas/oil combo.
Old 03-04-08, 10:25 PM
jcrome04
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just did 1/3 the can in the tank today. I was at about 3/4 of a tank. and within minutes noticed a difference.

and so did the people behind me when I gun it hahah they get a little blast of smoke and a nasty smell letting them know they got owned by a Lexus and are eating it's farts! hahahaha
Old 03-05-08, 07:26 PM
psilosin
Rookie

weird...I didn't think seafoam caused any noticable smoke when added to the gas tank, thought it only did that when sucked in the intake. Good to know.
Old 03-08-08, 02:33 PM
drewkaree
Rookie

I just added an entire bottle to my gas tank last week, and the mpg difference with just that is definitely noticeable. If it SAYS it treats up to 25 gallons, then YES, it's safe to add to a full tank of fuel. Whether it's worthwhile to add that much at one time is clearly open to debate, as PD points out.

IMO, it's far and away better at cleaning the fuel system components than any other "magic in a bottle" stuff you can buy. I dumped a can of Seafoam in the wife's Olds and had the exact same results - NOTICEABLE difference in mpg's. I have no idea about the service done on my Lex in the past, but I do know how we treated the Olds, and I'd add an entire can of Seafoam every time I use it in the gas tank. It's made THAT much of a difference that I'm now a sold-on-it believer in the product.

Giddyup!
Old 03-08-08, 04:59 PM
KilaWombat
Lead Lap

I need to get me a can of Seafoam and try this. Where are you guys buying it from?
Old 03-08-08, 05:08 PM
flipicanez
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KilaWombat
I need to get me a can of Seafoam and try this. Where are you guys buying it from?
You can get it at PepBoys or AutoZone. The bottle looks like this:
Old 03-08-08, 05:37 PM
KilaWombat
Lead Lap

Right on, there's a pepboys around here so I'll check it out in a little bit. Thanks.
Old 03-08-08, 05:58 PM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've always purchased SeaFoam at Napa.
Old 03-08-08, 07:58 PM
drewkaree
Rookie

Where to get Seafoam in my area (Wisconsin):

AutoZone
Checker
Wal-Mart
Menards (hardware store)

Menard's was the cheapest place for a single bottle, but AutoZone sells it by the gallon for a stellar price.
Old 03-09-08, 04:41 PM
KilaWombat
Lead Lap

I just picked up a can of seafoam, but which one is the brake booster line? (99 LS)
Attached Thumbnails Seafoam!!!!-img079.jpg  
Old 03-09-08, 05:24 PM
Ls4hundred
Driver

So, from what I can tell, no one has given a definitive answer as to whether or not seafoam fouls the plugs up. So once and for all, does it? I can't afford to buy new plugs right now lol.
Old 03-09-08, 06:38 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

everyone's saying it doesnt...
Old 03-09-08, 07:34 PM
drewkaree
Rookie

Originally Posted by KilaWombat
I just picked up a can of seafoam, but which one is the brake booster line? (99 LS)
Your pic kinda degrades when I enlarge it, but from what I can tell, the upper hose in that pic is what you're wanting to use.

You'll be able to tell because that hose will connect to a metal line that forms a right angle.

As for fouling the plugs, I just emptied my tank after using a full can in the gas tank. No fouling whatsoever. The plugs actually seem cleaner. To me, the stuff is apparently supposed to act as a cleaner, meaning you blow off/burn off all the waste you're wanting to eliminate, with the end result of everything being cleaned off.

When used in the crankcase, you're ending up with a liquid in a closed environment, which is why you'll want to change the oil and filter, because all the crap is contained in your oil/filter. Used in the brake booster and gas tank, it's burned off during normal combustion.

Just my opinion, but my eyes at least verify the plugs aren't fouled
Old 03-10-08, 10:57 AM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ls4hundred
So, from what I can tell, no one has given a definitive answer as to whether or not seafoam fouls the plugs up. So once and for all, does it? I can't afford to buy new plugs right now lol.
I had the same concern from reading many threads on it..

It does not foul the plugs.. I think, just speculative, there might be a .001% chance it will foul a plug (A PLUG), .. but is , obviously, highly unlikely. Unless you think 1 in thousand chance is likely.

Honestly, I think most people would be willing to take the bet that if it fouls your plugs they'd buy you new plugs and wires

Just go for it,.. you'll feel better for it, and so will your vehicle.

I actually put it in my crankcase, gas, and vacuum line. Then drove it 50-70miles and immediately changed the oil. It will seperate from the oil and look rather funny draining out of the oil pan.. but it isn't harming anything (Just don't leave it in your crank case for a month .. get the oil changed, or change it yourself within a day or two maximum of putting it in).

Some people only use the brake booster,.. some only in the gas tank -- Some use a sort of combination , two of the three.. Then others just do all three.

I haven't read of any reports of any regative side effects (unless you count white smoke out of the exhaust for 10 minutes negative) from the utilization of this product.

Quick Reply: Seafoam!!!!