LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Please Help - Slight Hesitation On The 2nd Shift With Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-08, 08:40 AM
topgun129
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Help - Slight Hesitation On The 2nd Shift With Transmission

Hi Everybody!

Nice to see such a strong Lexus community online!!!

(I have to say... When I drive my LS400 I think to myself if there are others out there that really appreciate such a well built, long lasting machine...I'm glad to see there is!).

Anyways, I have a 1993 LS400 with 120,700 miles. My problem is that last week my car got stuck in a parking spot which was covered in ice. The car took a half hour to get out (actually it didn't get out - i had to call a tow truck) which involved A LOT of high rpm spinning in reverse and drive. I even tried the car in L and 2. I would say that it took a heavy strain on the transmission.

Now fast forward a couple of days later and I feel as if the 1st shift is as smooth as it always has been. (You know how the shifts are in these LS400's... you can't even feel it!) but in the 2nd shift I feel as if there is a little resistance and harder shift. Not as smooth. The car kind holds back for a moment then pushes you slightly forward when it shifts.

The 3rd and so forth are fine and like the 1st where you can't even feel it (you have to look at the rpm to really notice it). Also when I shift from park to drive the car immediately is ready to move forward...there is no delay in response for the car to get going (that has always been like that) so nothing changed there.

I'm afraid that there might be some heavy damage done (hopefully not, but when it comes to transmission i don't have a clue about anything). Any suggestions or comments on what I can do to get things back to normal???

Thanks and I look forward to your responses.
Old 02-12-08, 09:19 AM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome to CL. Not sure of you damaged any internals with getting your car out, etc. I guess it is possible. Do you change your fluid on a regular basis? There is a drain plug on my 95 and I am pretty sure you have one also. You can drain between 2-3 quarts and refill through the fill stick.

When you check fluid it should be pink/red, not brown. If it is dark and smells burnt I would try to change the fluid as a start. I did mine Saturday and it took 15 minutes. Afterwards the shifting was a bit smoother or atleast it seemed like it was.

You can get ATF TVfluid as low as $6.50 from a dealer so a few quarts won't set you back much and if it is not regularly changed it is worth it bro.
Old 02-12-08, 12:15 PM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You probably just cooked the fluid a bit. The transmission cooler that comes with the car is just barely, and I mean barely, adequate. All that stationary spinning created a lot of heat within the transmission, most likely wearing out the fluid in a rather short time frame. However, the A341E is very robust, and it is unlikely that there is any permanent damage done. Perform a drain and fill at the very least (a flush would be best) and see if there is any improvement. If you do go the drain and fill route, and you notice an improvement after just one drain and fill, I would still go ahead and do it again at least 1-2 more times after that to change out a greater quantity of fluid. It's an easy process that you can do in your own garage in less than a half-hour's time.
Old 02-12-08, 03:25 PM
topgun129
Rookie

Hi,

thanks for the replies.

i did look at the fluid and it was light red to medium red in color and had a somewhat sweet smell to it. not a burnt smell.

Changing the fluid is no problem and makes sense. But will it be okay if I wait 2 months to do the flush? (since the weather is horrendous outside (chicago) and i prefer not to give the car to a shop and do it myself. ) I just hope waiting that long will not cause any other sort of changes or problems for the transmission???

i also just checked my service history from the dealership (which came from the previous owner) and there is no mention of transmission fluid or filter change. so this is definately a possibility.

thanks!
Old 02-12-08, 09:41 PM
Bill Dowd
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I would take the car to a good transmission shop and have them drop the pan to see if there is any metal or clutch material in the pan. I have been hanging out at a trans shop for 30 years and from the knowledge I have obtained I would get it in ASAP to make sure there no metal or clutch material going throught the total trans. From what you described I would get it checked you could possible do some damage to the trans.
Old 02-12-08, 09:59 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Anything is possible, and that you substantially notice a difference now means something is different.

I would not wait 2 months to do anything about it to be honest. Alot of damage can occur in that time frame. I personally don't think any major damage could have occured, but obviously something happened.

At the very least get the tranny fluid swapped. If you have to wait 2 months because of 'weather', either wear a few layers and just do it yourself.. Or just take it to any express oil, or shop and have them swap the fluids out.

If you don't feel they are reputable, then bring your own Tranny fluid, tell them you have always used this and would like them to utilize this fluid. It will take them about as long as it does to change your oil. So it isn't any going to a shop and leaving it type of deal.

Afterwords drive it easy, let the new fluid get worked in and mixed with the remnants of the old. Then after 15-20miles you might want to put a little pressure on the transmission to see if it changes.

I know a local tranny guy here after such 'suspect problems' -- will swap out the fluids (does a complete drain/fill/drive/drain/fill ) and then actually take it out on the road and gun it once or twice to get it to really push on the bands and other internals. It is part diagnosis part to work the fluid in. (Probably part unnecessary lol).

Going and dropping the pan and having a look at it would, obviously, be the most cautious way to go.. Though personally I would simply swap out the fluid and see how she acts.

If she continues to act up then I would get the Transmission checked out. Sometimes these problems are as Bill says, moving parts that can continually do damage if they aren't removed. Sometimes it is just some unfortunate permenant damage that will leave your transmission shifting rougher than it once did, however it won't change from this 'new' normal. I would guess if you flush your fluids and after 50miles (a day or two) it still shifts rough into second you probably are going to have to deal with the way it shifts until you want the tranny repaired. Which is a waste of money (imho).

Hope it is an easy fix, and your Lexus goes back to smooth attitude of 'old'.
Old 02-13-08, 07:40 PM
Bill Dowd
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Neofate I agree with what you say about swaping out the old fluid, and I still think it wouldn't hurt to take a look at the pan. If there is no metal or other material then I would go ahead and fine some one to do a complete fluid change out. I use a trans cooler and just unhook one side and hook a hose to that part and let it run a gallon of trans fluid into a gallon jar. Then justhook the old hose put in 4 quarts of new trans fluid and away you go. I use mobil one synthetic fluid due to the hot climate here in Southern California and I also drive into cold climates which allows the trans to have fluid moving in cold weather. I have pushed toyota trans over 400,000 miles just by changing out the fluid every 25,000 miles and using synthetic trans fluid. I also use the same trans fluid in my power steering and so far no problems with leaks At 197,000 miles. The tech at lexus/toyota lead me to the usage of snythetic fluids
Old 02-14-08, 08:13 AM
topgun129
Rookie

Hi Everybody,

As per the advice given, I won't be waiting to get the work done. I know of a reliable mechanic in the area, and of course the lexus and toyota dealership in the area.

I'll let you all know how it goes.

My hope was to keep this car running as smooth as possible since they are built like tanks, but even a small thing like this gets me worried b/c in the future it could exponentially cause problems down the road.

Well, I'm keeping my fingers crossed!
Old 02-14-08, 09:28 AM
topgun129
Rookie

one thing i forgot to mention was that i noticed that after this incident while driving the car - when I start driving and the car is cold the hesitant shift is not even there and there is no probelem, but when the car is warmed up and driving after 20 mins. or so then the 2nd shift gets hesitant and noticeably differnt than the 1st and 3rd shifts.

Also on differnce on using Type T-II fluid (says it in the owners manual) or T-IV? I took a look at lexls.com and it mentions T-IV. I was leaning towards the IV. Any comments?

Last edited by topgun129; 02-14-08 at 12:35 PM.
Old 02-14-08, 02:34 PM
breakb
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tell me if it works. i have the problem in my SC400, but it's on my first gear shift, into 2nd, and sometimes 3rd. but most of the time just 2nd. my tranny oil looked good too, gonna try do a flush anyways, maybe take it to a mechanic i know.

Peace out