LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Stability Control ever save you?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-08, 06:43 PM
tbilisi79
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Balling
or you can be super advanced, and take your foot off the gas.....
WHat is that?? I never let go of the pedal once I start the car. It is floored all the way from the moment I put it in Drive!!!
Old 02-14-08, 07:41 PM
Balling
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

right on brotha!
Old 02-15-08, 07:45 AM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

or you can be super advanced, and take your foot off the gas.....
In my situation I doubt you wouldve been able to squeeze out of the scenario without comming all the way around or slamming into a car...

The way my car was pointed, when the missle-beep came on I thought it was locking on to a parked car and getting ready to slam into it. It was insane though, I never had a car take over so quickly to the point where I was like, WTF just happened?
Old 02-15-08, 01:50 PM
rs8829
Driver School Candidate

I was going around a turn onto a freeway on ramp and it was a little wet, needless to say, I was going to fast and the dash beeped and my rear end was sliding and as soon as the beep went off the DSP kicked in and made the necessary correction to keep me out of the bushes.

Every car on the road should have this system.
Old 02-15-08, 04:33 PM
Balling
Pole Position

Originally Posted by TJW98LS
In my situation I doubt you wouldve been able to squeeze out of the scenario without comming all the way around or slamming into a car...

The way my car was pointed, when the missle-beep came on I thought it was locking on to a parked car and getting ready to slam into it. It was insane though, I never had a car take over so quickly to the point where I was like, WTF just happened?
why did you let it get that far?
as soon as you feel it slip you should be off the gas countersteering, and applying light brake pressure

for some reason in the snow, i can drive a -1x* cambered car with 300HP sliding everywhere, and STILL have complete control, without any help from fancy traction or stability control.

i just think all these aids are slowly killing the true driver input of driving a car. Its meant for the people that cant differentiate a fully inflated tire from a half inflated while driving. or cant tell when timing is slightly off but the way it accelerates, along with a host of other things most people cannot FEEL, but instead rely on lights, and sounds to tell them.
Old 02-15-08, 09:04 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

as soon as you feel it slip you should be off the gas countersteering, and applying light brake pressure

for some reason in the snow, i can drive a -1x* cambered car with 300HP sliding everywhere, and STILL have complete control, without any help from fancy traction or stability control.

i just think all these aids are slowly killing the true driver input of driving a car. Its meant for the people that cant differentiate a fully inflated tire from a half inflated while driving. or cant tell when timing is slightly off but the way it accelerates, along with a host of other things most people cannot FEEL, but instead rely on lights, and sounds to tell them.
The reason was because I came around the corner too fast while the road had debris on it and the front of the car made the turn perfect, but the rear end slid out faster than what you think. It wasnt that I had the foot on the gas either (I let off right about the time I turned the wheel), it was because the rear of the car was still moving in a different direction causing it to slide sideways. And I can drive my car in the snow and ice without traction control as well and still maintain perfect control of the vehicle. Its not that I have bad driving skills, it was because I was being ignorant and but at the same time concentrating more on people/cars other than the mud around a turn.

Inflated tire - Solid feel and fll response
Half inflated - Sluggish feel and response...then the car pulls to the side with that tire...
All Tires half inflated - You pretty much bottom out your wheels on every bump, cornering is terrible, traction is loose, and your RPMs will be relitively higher due to the extra effort pushing the wheels.

Not too hard to understand.
Old 02-16-08, 05:57 PM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by greyBLITZ
^ Where did the heated seats come from? lol. Although it is strange that a '97 didn't come with TRAC, I thought it was standard?

So unless I'm mistaken, TRAC is just another butterfly valve in the throttle body that modulates your throttle right. And VSC controls the brakes to ensure each wheel is spinning at the same speed. Whenever traction is lost in the '99 LS, I can hear a strange "springy" (like boing), sound, so is it safe to assume that is the VSC working? Because it never beeps in that situation. But the beeping comes when you are losing traction hardcore...Is there another stability system that I'm not aware of? Or is the computer saying you are in some major trouble and thats why it is beeping? Seems to me like it is supposed to inspire some sort of panic lol.
TRAC is a tad bit more sophisticated than just a butterfly valve. It also brakes the rear wheels to combat wheelspin.
Old 02-16-08, 06:18 PM
PK_Celsior
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I drive like ballin . since my car doesnt come with trac control. all i have to do is depend on myself as a driver.