LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

OverDrive Light Flashing

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-08, 11:22 PM
Tibbetsni
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy OverDrive Light Flashing

The overdrive light on my dash has been flashing since I got the car a month ago, so I'm not sure if it is going into overdrive or not. When I click the overdrive button, the light stays solid, as it should. Does anyone know what could cause this. The car shifts very smooth, and I have already changed to fluid and filter. Plus I tapped in a drain plug for easier maintenance. Oh, it's a 91 LS-400.

Last edited by Tibbetsni; 02-13-08 at 11:24 PM. Reason: forgot
Old 02-14-08, 11:03 PM
qha_vn
Pole Position

seems that the car is in ECU test mode, not remember for sure

to get rid of it, you may want to remove your battery pole - for several minutes and plug it in again. or you may want to remove EFI fuse instead to retain radio station setup, seat and steering wheel position...
Old 02-15-08, 01:13 AM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

To answer your question I am fairly sure when it is flashing it is going into overdrive. If you drive the car on the highway.. Leave the buton flashing,.. and get up to about 60mph. Then press in the button. If it immediately gears down, it is working as intended.

To stop the flashing I haven't a clue, besides what gha vn mentioned.

To help you with that go to this thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...emove+efi+fuse

I would highly recommend pulling the Fuse as opposed to the terminal and waiting. It is easier, faster, and less hassle by far.

Let us know if it does gear down, and if that fuse fixes the flashing.

Otherwise, are you enjoying your new ride? How many miles?
Old 02-15-08, 11:09 AM
LexLS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It means that you have transmission codes stored. A flashing O/D OFF light is just like the check engine light. See my website for a tutorial on how to read the code(s).
Old 02-15-08, 11:20 AM
Tibbetsni
Driver School Candidate

[QUOTE=Neofate;3280306]To answer your question I am fairly sure when it is flashing it is going into overdrive. If you drive the car on the highway.. Leave the buton flashing,.. and get up to about 60mph. Then press in the button. If it immediately gears down, it is working as intended. QUOTE]

The car does not gear down, but the light does stay on when pressed. I'm going to try the ecu reset. Will a code reader get the codes from the transmission as well as the engine?
Old 02-15-08, 11:25 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

there is something WRONG with the transmission, you need to take the car to either a dealer or a transmission shop specializing in toyotas.

most likely either the trans ecu (integrated with ECM), wiring harness, or dead solenoid.
Old 07-01-09, 04:26 PM
Funkdoobiest
Driver School Candidate

Update please?
Old 07-02-09, 04:25 PM
3UZFTE
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As LexLS said, there is a code stored in your tranny ecu. It is flashing to notify there is a problem and it will not engage O/D. When it flashes, it will not engage overdrive regardless of whether it's switched on or off as it does this for a "limp-in" mode. LexLS has a great site to help you check the code, once you are able to read the code, let us know and we can help. My O/D light was flashing, and it said I had a faulty 1-2 shift solenoid, took it out, soaked it in PB blaster, and put in T-IV fluid, and haven't seen the code yet.
Old 07-02-09, 08:36 PM
Funkdoobiest
Driver School Candidate

I wanted an update to his fix for this problem.
Old 07-07-10, 06:09 PM
lowKut
NELOC Moderator

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Funkdoobiest
I wanted an update to his fix for this problem.
I just came back from a 300 miles trip and started receiving the flashing overdrive light on my dash. I myself would like an update on this after 1 year later of someone else asking for the same

Is this something that i need to look into right away or would it go away on its own...sorry, there is just too many diff responses on this.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-09-10, 03:23 PM
lowKut
NELOC Moderator

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Just a quick update on my flashing overdrive dashboard light... knock on wood I am no longer getting it. I would still like to know what the cause was/is and any early prevention measure that can be taken now.
Old 07-23-21, 10:08 PM
Kclark253
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LexLS
It means that you have transmission codes stored. A flashing O/D OFF light is just like the check engine light. See my website for a tutorial on how to read the code(s).
what website? I have a 92 with 250k miles that i recently bought and fixed. I dont think the car is shifting into 4th gear. When your transmission is running codes does that ussually mean that its on its last legs?
Old 07-23-21, 11:32 PM
Yamae

Received 884 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by Kclark253
what website? I have a 92 with 250k miles that i recently bought and fixed. I dont think the car is shifting into 4th gear. When your transmission is running codes does that ussually mean that its on its last legs?
Didn't you see the link?
Old 11-15-21, 10:55 AM
greenrider
Driver School Candidate

Post Cluster Repair

Originally Posted by LexLS
I read on your website that you removed and repaired your cluster and after that the air bag light was on and it would not go out. You listed a way to remove the code and the air bag light went out. This happened after removed the cluster and turning the car on.
I had the same issue except I also got a flashing check engine light and flashing O/D light.
How do you clear the lights and the code? I was told the ecm computer was in diagnostic mode.
I had an extra ecm and replaced it and the O/D light was gone. Now I want fix it and put the original one back in.
Old 11-15-21, 11:43 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 313 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by greenrider
got a flashing check engine light and flashing O/D light.
How do you clear the lights and the code? I was told the ecm computer was in diagnostic mode.
I had an extra ecm and replaced it and the O/D light was gone. Now I want fix it and put the original one back in.
Clearing the codes on the OBD1 is just unhooking the battery for a short amount of time. Which you hopefully did when you changed the ECU.
The airbag light you mentioned is a whole different ordeal.

Quick Reply: OverDrive Light Flashing