LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

New Exhaust, Thoughts...

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-08, 03:27 PM
nosechunks
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Brandicus
^umm... Im pretty sure neo recommends the h pipe in his writings.. you might want to reread that.
He recommends H pipe, and i recommend X pipe, maybe you re-read my post?

i cannot see an H pipe perform better in any way. You do not want to keep anything separate in an exhaust or intake in N/A applications. Using an X pipe will blend exhaust pulses together so as bank 1's pulse will scavenge bank 2's exhaust pulse efficiently and vise versa.

An H pipe, I feel is to square to flow well enough to scavenge as efficiently as a good X.

The pulse would have to make 2 hard non mandrel bent 90 degree turns where as the X pipe is blended and its just a change of direction rather then flowing an entirely different path all together. Also the length of the pipe the pulse travels isn't changed either as they meet at the same point and no matter witch way they turn theres the same distance to the tip.

Either way, i doubt the change from X to H is incredibly noticeable as it effects flow only at its near highest critical speed inside the tube, and at that type of flow horsepower is more effected then torque witch can not be felt.
Old 02-18-08, 04:58 PM
Brandicus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nosechunks
He recommends H pipe, and i recommend X pipe, maybe you re-read my post?
Originally Posted by nosechunks
And x-pipes aren't a restriction as Neo states, They flow better and scavenge exhaust better then an H pipe.
didnt mean any offense, I hope you can see where I misunderstood you?

nevertheless neo thanks for the input, I appreciate it.
Old 02-18-08, 07:58 PM
nosechunks
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its cool dude, no problem. just the internet.
Old 02-18-08, 08:24 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I use 2 1/4 stainless steel piping with a magnaflow x pipe.
For maximum reliability and years of service make sure all piping is stainless steel and not aluminumized.
I can always hear a tinny weak sounding exhaust by the high pitched noise coming from it . I have no droning and no pulsing with only 2 L-sportline exhaust and a complete new set of pipes right from the cat which needed to have the o2 sensors re welded on to give more clearance and rebuild much better Y's.
Old 02-19-08, 07:50 AM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In Texas the muffler guys will not touch the O2 sensors. It is cool you were able to move them as that is the only place on my car that still hits on higher speed bumps. For now I am stuck with that area being lower but atleast all the resonators are gone. I used aluminized rathe than stainless to save bucks - sounds like you went first class
Old 02-19-08, 06:13 PM
hobojoe
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea, good call dont know if they will move them or not here in colorado and neo as to your last post, it sure does sound like a "sound" decision to me
Old 02-19-08, 06:56 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Hehe..

Yeah good call on the stainless through and through.

I thought about that,.. your catalytic converters are going to turn the combustion gas's into harmless water.. That water will run down your exhaust pipes, and often just sit in there.

If the inside isn't stainless then it will (eventually) rust through. Stainless will make a big difference, although it takes a long time for the pipes to rust through from the inside out. So if you don't intend on keeping the car for more than 5-6 years,.. not a huge thing to go with aluminium. (imo)
Old 02-19-08, 07:51 PM
hobojoe
Lead Lap

yea though im in the works of turning it into a show car/ daily driver lol so i would like to keep it if the motor goes im going to get a new one soo... might as well go with stainless since it looks better too!
Old 02-19-08, 07:54 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Neofate
Hehe..

Yeah good call on the stainless through and through.

I thought about that,.. your catalytic converters are going to turn the combustion gas's into harmless water.. That water will run down your exhaust pipes, and often just sit in there.

If the inside isn't stainless then it will (eventually) rust through. Stainless will make a big difference, although it takes a long time for the pipes to rust through from the inside out. So if you don't intend on keeping the car for more than 5-6 years,.. not a huge thing to go with aluminium. (imo)
lets be clear, aluminum CANT rust.

ur talking about aluminized STEEL tubing
Old 02-19-08, 08:14 PM
hobojoe
Lead Lap

lol correct you are but isint it just easier to type aluminum hehe!