LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Help electrical issues.

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-08, 11:28 PM
newbsc400
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help electrical issues.

Before I get bashed by the search ****'s I have done my search to no avail. I have a 90 ls 400 and since i bought the car a year ago I have had a few minor electrical issues. they are as follows:

1. No power mirrors (defrost works but cant adjust them)
2. No cigarette lighters ( they worked at first but about no they dont)
3. No seat heaters
4. Temp needle stays at the top of gauge. (not an over heating issue just a faulty gauge.
5. Keyless entry not working

Any help or links to where I might find information about how to address these issues would be great. I am at my wits end with these problems and I would love to fix them.
Old 02-15-08, 12:31 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

did you check all of the fuses....

you kinda need to tell us what you have/havent tried if u want us(me) to tell you not to just go search...
Old 02-15-08, 01:01 AM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by newbsc400
Before I get bashed by the search ****'s I have done my search to no avail.
lol! I hear you on that one,.. Sometimes people just want a 'fresh' answer to their specific question. Everything is always a little unique, or many times.
I have a 90 ls 400 and since i bought the car a year ago I have had a few minor electrical issues. they are as follows:

3. No seat heaters

This would all lead me to believe bad fuse(s). This should be fairly obvious, and if you haven't checked all those fuses then shame on you.. -- No really, check those fuses, *and* check every other accessible fuse under the hood and in the car. Sometimes they daisy chain.

Other than that if fuses are good, you might want to pull them all out (of course only the applicable fuses, not ALL fuses in the car )and put them back in one at a time. (Even going so far as to put new fuses in anyway just in case they have gone bad over the past 20yrs.. I've seen fuses not work that the circuit is not broken in, and they are cheap).

If it is definitely not fuses, It is going to be some type of electrical problem (of course),.. that will need to be traced down. I can't help you here, but you might could search for wiring diagrams to your car and trace some of the wires yourself, and use a tracer/short detector and other misc tools (multimeter) to find the fault(s).

Here is a thread on seat heaters not working, maybe it will lead you in a proper direction:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ight=bad+fuses

4. Temp needle stays at the top of gauge. (not an over heating issue just a faulty gauge.
The instrument clusters on our cars go bad in sequences,.. no specific order.. But any part of it can just drop dead at any moment. I would chalk this up to a bad capacitor or some circuitry on the board itself. The sticky in this forum section talks all about how to deal with the gauges.

But to make it easier --

The gauge thread is:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-1st-and-2nd-gen-1990-2000/40025-instrument-cluster-circuit-board-is-bad-1000-bucks.html

and a 'speedometer needle' (I know its not the same, but they all work in a similar fashion) thread is here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=225935

Several things here.

1) Do you have the 'remote' button switched off to the left of your steering wheel? There is a button that turns this function on and off.

If it is on,.. then it could be a part of the electrical (fuse) problem that has that part de-activated atm.

That is the most obvious.

2) The battery in your key,.. its old , no? have you tried replacing it? It isn't a hard job at all.

Lastly -- A good thread about disfunctional keyless entry is here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...+entry+problem

Any help or links to where I might find information about how to address these issues would be great. I am at my wits end with these problems and I would love to fix them.
That is all I can think of at the moment,.. hopefully you can find at least a shred of hope from that.

Godspeed,
Old 02-15-08, 07:10 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Before I get bashed by the search ****'s I have done my search to no avail. I have a 90 ls 400 and since i bought the car a year ago I have had a few minor electrical issues. they are as follows:

3. No seat heaters

Check fuses for all your electrical issues. If they are blown, replace them, if they blow again, take it to a professional to figure out why they blew.

As far as your temp gauge, try replacing the temperature sender. It is located on the water inlet housing, you're going to have to remove your intake, passenger side engine cover, and passenger side ignition coil to reach it. But it's a little tricky when ordering the part, our cars have four temperature sensors. One is on the radiator for fan control, and three on the water inlet housing - one for ECU, one for cold start injector, and one that send the temperature to the gauge. It's probably a $20-30 part, but make sure you order the correct one.
Old 02-15-08, 07:54 PM
newbsc400
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info my bad on not letting you guys know that yes I have checked the fuses and none are blown. I wasn't looking for a quick answer just some links. Thanks again I will try these solutions and threads.
Old 02-15-08, 08:05 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Thanks for the info my bad on not letting you guys know that yes I have checked the fuses and none are blown. I wasn't looking for a quick answer just some links. Thanks again I will try these solutions and threads.
When you say your heated seats dont work - when you press on the buttons, do the buttons light up and the seats do not warm up, or even the buttons do not light up?

Both mirrors and both cigarette lighters are out as well?

I know worn out wires on the trunk hinge can cause all kinds of electrical problems, but mostly related to the tail and brake lights.
Old 02-15-08, 08:08 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Oh, yeah, also as far as the remote entry, check that it's on - theres a button on your dashboard. If it is on, check the battery. Also, sometimes the ignition cylinder wears out, and even when you remove the key from the ignition, it still "thinks" the key is in the ignition, and wont let you use the remote entry. When you remove the key and open the door, does your car start making the beeping sounds? If it does, thats your problem.