LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Looky what I finally got.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-08, 12:58 PM
shonn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Balling
ugh

more megan?
with all the fantastic options out there....megan?
i could have sworn this was a lexus board, not a 240 board
Megan coilovers are made at the same factory as alot of the other "namebrand" ones. And I don't have 1800 for the JICs' I want. And these megans do both what I want. 1)To slam my car. 2)Keep the ride quality when slammed. And you are correct this is not a 240 board. Because am I gonna be road racing or drifting??? I just need the adjustability and the decent dampening for daily use.
Old 02-25-08, 01:06 PM
flipicanez
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know what the Megan bashing is all about. While some people would argue that many companies went out of business because of the rip-off brands, many others have lowered their prices in order to compete and stayed in business. From what I hear Megan is not bad stuff (even tho Mugen prolly has a few bones to pick with Megan) and it competes in quality. It gives poor-not-so-rich-bastards like me a chance to do some nice stuff and enjoy our cars.

And btw the car is bangin' at that level.
Old 02-25-08, 01:26 PM
Balling
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeha, but your driving luxury cars, buy products that meet that level, not honda/240 level.

and if youd look, there are other options out there for the same price range, from KNOWN manufacturers....just takes a little searching
Old 02-25-08, 02:35 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Balling,

Do the Megan coilovers perform less than stock oem ? Is the ride quality worse?

If not, then Megan coilovers are above Lexus level. Price doesn't always dictate quality. Often in the aftermarket realm higher quality is for much lower price than OEM. Just how things work.

I am legitimately asking this question because I do not know the caliber of these coilovers.
Old 02-25-08, 02:40 PM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

all i can say is that the few hundred bucks i saved by going megans is going to let me get some wheels sooner. going down the road, nobody can tell the difference between megans or anything else. they ride great and they'll get me as low as i want to go. if i didn't have 4 other project cars, i might spend a bit more on something with a better name, but, i have to split my meager income between 4 cars...
Old 02-25-08, 02:55 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm on your side psi. I think paying 'More' for *brand* is bordering on idiocy when it comes to prooven products.

Its like a Power steering rebuild kit. You can get them for 11$ from the right place, and they are part OEM quality, and part slightly better than OEM quality. You have to think about what you are buying sometimes.

Places commonly charge 40,50,60+$ for a rebuild kit, that is a bunch of rings of rubber/plastic. Which is a cost of pennies basically in manufacturing. The price is up because it is a 'lexus', import, not a high demand part and so forth. Because people will PAY that, because they want the OEM parts. This doesn't mean aftermarket manufacturers can't build the same thing, or even better for alot less. Especially when it comes to very simple design elements. Gaskets/seals and such for the aforementioned are not hard to design. Get specs, factory uses the same material, or a better grade material.. and there is the product.

The Megan coils are made in the US? That takes some of the pricing out. They are meant for high end cars like , oh say, a Lexus. But also will go on sporty cars like say a 240.

Again, if the coils are the exact same as factory or even better (due to adjustability, being *New* so the performance is better than worn out coils, and so on).. Then it is silly to spend twice as much for OEM.

Now this seems more like , why not buy X brand, they are better. Sure, I bet they are. Though you had/have a purpose/need to be filled. Ride height and comfort. Your coils , reportedly, fill that need. The other coils advantages might be? More adjustability? Better handling? (IE: Better than stock).. Better ride than stock? hrmm.. I dunno. However you didn't need whatever benefits the 'other' brand(s) provided. As you said, spending X dollars on these coils that are just what you wanted,.. has you into your next modification that much sooner.

Silly discussion,.. I'm not arguing with anyone here, so noone take it that way -- People have their opinions on what is good/bad/trash .. and we all should respect them. To each their own. If I like Brand A,.. and you Brand B -- I shouldn't push A on you , and you shouldn't push B on me .. unless someone is asking something like I'm considering brand A .. but my goals are XYZ,.. would brand B be better for my goals?

Nonetheless -- You seeemed to get those on pretty quick. Do you have a shop? If not, do them with jack stands? -- Are they a pretty easy bolt-on?
Old 02-25-08, 03:43 PM
Dutch
Pole Position

guys, pay no attention to Balling. hes staioned in japan so he gets the real deal for less cash.
Old 02-25-08, 05:04 PM
Balling
Pole Position

has nothing to with it man.
I order alot of stuff for the US for my car as well as here in japan.

Its just my 2C on cheaping out thats all
Old 02-25-08, 05:34 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Forum Moderator

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

has nothing to with it man.
I order alot of stuff for the US for my car as well as here in japan.

Its just my 2C on cheaping out thats all
i think ur taking it too negatively, yes, Megan is NOT as respected a brand, AND its more than likely not even up to same quality as a brand such as Lock Smice or Buddy Club, but the issue comes to a point where money is concerned, in the US 1LS guys simply DONT HAVE many options for coilovers, the next cheapest (and readily available) option is JIC, which is literally DOUBLE the price. now, if there was an importer of Lock Smice that could price them withing several hundred dollars of the street price of the megans, then i would agree with you that it is indeed, cheaping out.
Old 02-25-08, 05:51 PM
Balling
Pole Position

Well, there might be an importer for 3 brands that make LS1/2/3x coils
Veryyyyy soon.
Old 02-25-08, 07:24 PM
j stuff
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

balling

i got tein coilovers for my GS4 for 1300.

I could have gotten endless zeal for around 1800 but i was new to the coilover game and wanted to try coilovers everyone had a good grasp on. No one can give a good review of zeal. Hell for them it costs $2500! I know of only two people on CL that have zeal compared to hundreds that have Tein. civics have tein. does that make me at the civic level? Is there really even a price level when it comes to quality parts? A fully done civic that may not be very cool to us can cost 5x more than a VIP car with wheels drop kit and paint. We praise the VIP car more even though the civics parts and time were more

So which one is a more respected company? Obviously Zeal. But the tein worked GREAT. The coilovers stayed on for 3 months then i sold it here on CL. It kept its value as well.

If someone has megans and wants to sell them down the road they wont have a hard time selling easily. However if someone got $2000 zeals and wanted to sell them thatd b pretty damn hard

u have to look at it from different angles.
Old 02-26-08, 01:54 AM
shonn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well all I have to say is, the megans are WAAAYY better then the stock suspension. I'll point out why: 1)32 way adjustable dampening 2)Adjustable ride height 3) AFFORDABLE

And also I DID search for other brands around the same price, AND the only brand that is around $850 is D2 racing ones. Other then that, maybe a set of used ones. And i'm definetly NOT paying 800 for used coilovers. So please be my guest and post up some other options that are even remotely close to $850.
Old 02-26-08, 02:35 AM
Balling
Pole Position

Originally Posted by j stuff
balling

i got tein coilovers for my GS4 for 1300.

I could have gotten endless zeal for around 1800 but i was new to the coilover game and wanted to try coilovers everyone had a good grasp on. No one can give a good review of zeal. Hell for them it costs $2500! I know of only two people on CL that have zeal compared to hundreds that have Tein. civics have tein. does that make me at the civic level? Is there really even a price level when it comes to quality parts? A fully done civic that may not be very cool to us can cost 5x more than a VIP car with wheels drop kit and paint. We praise the VIP car more even though the civics parts and time were more

So which one is a more respected company? Obviously Zeal. But the tein worked GREAT. The coilovers stayed on for 3 months then i sold it here on CL. It kept its value as well.

If someone has megans and wants to sell them down the road they wont have a hard time selling easily. However if someone got $2000 zeals and wanted to sell them thatd b pretty damn hard

u have to look at it from different angles.
tein is a reputable company, with time attack cars, drift cars, JGTC background

megan is not
dont EVER put the two in the same league.
Old 02-26-08, 02:36 AM
Balling
Pole Position

Originally Posted by shonn
Well all I have to say is, the megans are WAAAYY better then the stock suspension. I'll point out why: 1)32 way adjustable dampening 2)Adjustable ride height 3) AFFORDABLE

And also I DID search for other brands around the same price, AND the only brand that is around $850 is D2 racing ones. Other then that, maybe a set of used ones. And i'm definetly NOT paying 800 for used coilovers. So please be my guest and post up some other options that are even remotely close to $850.
get what you pay for brotha

32 way dampers dont mean anything if you cant notice the difference between each click
Old 02-26-08, 03:19 AM
flipicanez
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeha, but your driving luxury cars, buy products that meet that level, not honda/240 level.

and if youd look, there are other options out there for the same price range, from KNOWN manufacturers....just takes a little searching
You missed my point, its because of these cheap parts that the prices can be kept under control. If you're like my freeking wife who buys a purse solely on the price tag (and trust me she got some UGLY Gucci purses) then don't let me stand in your way, go ahead and let the $5000 piece of plastic suck you dry.

Besides I have a daughter that I can take the savings and uhm, pay for the deductibles for her monthly chemotherapy, keep up her guitar lessons, pay for her tuition at a private Lutheran school so she doesn't end up with the elitist little "I pay too much because I have to show that I'm better then everybody else" attitude.

I do say this with all due respect. And Megan is a known brand, perhaps a tad lower respect then Tein, but I aint gonna hate on the person who tries to save a little cash.

Last edited by flipicanez; 02-26-08 at 04:01 AM.

Quick Reply: Looky what I finally got.....