LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Top Gear: 1990 LS 400 vs. 735i vs. 420 SE vs. 4.0 Sov.

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-08, 07:54 PM
omarg
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i love boring. keeps me from breaking the law.

I really want a newer BMW though. A loaded 2 year old(2006) 330i manual sport would be perfect.
Old 03-02-08, 08:10 PM
jcrome04
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lexus is no where near "american-style"

since they rarely break down! hahaha
Old 03-03-08, 09:42 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Well I can't argue with the fact that Lexus does not have as much Heritage as it's European rivals, but then again, Lexus has been around for not even 20 years. However, as far as innovation, Lexus has accomplished way more than anyone else in these years. From the first LS400 with all aluminum DOHC V8 engine, luminous gauges and build quality that set the new benchmark, to todays LS600h - the most advanced car in the world.
I personally am not convinced about the Lexus LS600h. I've always wondered how an overweight and overpowered sedan like the LS600h is supposed to get "good fuel economy" once you leave an urban environment. It just doesn't work. I would rather have an LS460 as this car doesn't pretend to be green. Needless to say I am not a fan of Lexus hybrid, especially because I think they were initially marketed in the wrong way. They are marketed as fuel efficient cars in Germany when they clearly aren't. They're low emission cars, but not cars that get great gas mileage. I speak fluent German and I recall reading a GS450h 100,000 km test which the magazine Auto Motor und Sport conducts with selected cars. In mixed driving, the GS450h always returned a fuel economy rating of 12.5 L / 100 km which is about 18.8 mpg. The only area where the GS450h performed well in terms of fuel consumption was in the city.

Hence I wouldn't call the LS600h the most advanced car on the planet if it can't return good gas mileage, as was advertised by Lexus. If it offered V12 performance and V6 fuel economy, then maybe yes. But it doesn't. Besides, in this class, every car is pretty much equal. I would say the LS, S class and A8 are tied in this class for the first spot.

No offense.

Originally Posted by Och
As far as the global appeal, it has to do more with the dealer network, there's simply not enough dealers in Europe, and a lot of people don't even know what Lexus is. Same as in US not many people know about Fiat, Pigeout, Citroen, Alfa Romeo, etc.
Dealer network is only a small part of the big problem. Lexus tries to sell cars in markets where fuel economy is important and where several engine capacity or fuel consumption taxes are in place. People here make fun of say a BMW 520i or a Mercedes E200 Kompressor. Well? In markets like Japan and other Asian countries cars like that have more appeal than say a Lexus IS250 as they're more fuel efficient and offer adequate performance.

Hey, I work and live in Germany. I've been here for a year and half now and I see this everyday. When you see a BMW 5 series or a Benz E class here it is usually a model with a small gasoline or diesel motor under the hood. Not a big V6 or V8.

Cheaper trim levels are also a must. The Europeans don't mind a luxury car with smaller engines or cloth seats. As long as the car is for example comfortable/sporty or has the BMW/Benz badge etc. it is still considered a great buy. And mind you, Lexus prices have gone up here. You might get more standard features with a Lexus, but they still lack the appeal of their European competitors in the European market because of what I just said in my above paragraphs.

I think Lexus should simply dump the reliance on hybrids for the European market and offer a proper diesel IS (IS220d isn't that good I am sorry to say), GS, RX and LS and a V6 SC.

Originally Posted by Och
As far as motorsports, as far as I know Toyota competes in quite a few, especially in Japan.
Toyota has long history of motorsport, true. However, Toyota has competed in motorsport events that most auto enthusiasts don't consider anything fancy. Toyota has done well in WRC, almost won in Le Mans once but are performing poorly in Formula One.

The topic here is Lexus though: it has zero motorsport heritage. I wouldn't say the Rolex Series is a good means of bragging about motorsport success since this might work in the US (if even), but it won't work on global scale.

Originally Posted by Och
There's absolutely nothing wrong with 4 cylinder cars and cloth seats, however they don't belong on a Luxury car. See, this is a common misconception that people in Europe don't like American luxuries. They simply can't afford them, and they cant afford to fuel up thirsty V8 engines, as well as European ridiculous taxes. Now, I don't know if you guys in Europe consider Russia a part of Europe, but I grew up in Russia, and I can tell you that people over there are sick and tired of European and Russian cars, most of which are noisy, underpowered, come with manual transmissions and virtually no luxury features.
That is not quite true.

In my time in Germany and Europe I've seen that these people tend to examine things from a "Do I really need this?" point of view. These days European mainstream and luxury cars come with the necessary features needed for comfortable driving, which means electric windows and air conditioning. Everything else can be ordered extra if someone really needs it. As an American, I know how back home the average luxury consumer is a bit on the spoiled and perhaps "lazy" side and wants everything to be fully automatic such as the seats, transmission etc.

There are many wealthy Europeans who drive BMW 320i's or Audi A4 1.8T's or a Mercedes S class with a V6 diesel or gasoline engine. Luxury doesn't have to be about excess and wastefulness. In a manner of speaking I could claim that Lexus is wasting their time with hybrids and should offer a V16 LS and a V12 SC because luxury is about being wasteful etc. It isn't. Europeans are all about sensible luxury these days. My car is the base model C200 CDI: I love it.

Claiming that most Russians are sick of the underpowered and stripper European cars is a bit ignorant, don't you think? The average Russian I can imagine would be happy if you gave him a car: any car. So if I decided to gave farmer Igor in Rutnya a 1970s Ford Fiesta, he would be the happiest man on the planet I imagine.

Originally Posted by Och
And once we're talking about Russia, Lexus is gaining a great momentium over there, and is becoming increasingly popular.
When you say Russia, you have to say Moscow, because the purchasing power in Russia is concentrated in Moscow, not Murmansk, Vladivostok or some small village in Siberia.

In Western Europe it is different. People in smaller towns can afford a Lexus, but don't. Lack of dealer networks, engine options and brand image are the main factors. On a side note, it is possible to have some Lexus' serviced in Toyota dealers. The IS for example can easily be serviced by most Toyota dealers. A GS, however, cannot. Interesting.

Originally Posted by Och
Well if you're satisfied with your car, more power to you. I'm sure it's a nice car, but it's simply not in the same class as anything Lexus has ever made, besides maybe ES250.
I tend to see myself as a realistic person and this means I look for realistic real-world performance. My car, which is a company car (owning a car here is expensive) has very nice performance. The acceleration is fluid (0-62 mph in under 10 seconds) and the agility is not bad at all. Even better is the fuel economy. This car is probably slower than the ES250 but it beats any Lexus ever made in terms of gas mileage, even the IS220d, which has gotten poor reviews here I am afraid to say.

Originally Posted by Och
Oh really? So people in the 90ies wanted an outdated car that looked like it was designed in the 70ies, without modern luxury features and **** poor handling? Without true electronic fuel injection and recirculating-ball steering? I don't buy it. MB was just milking the W126, and when LS400 lit a fire up their butt, they rushed out with W140, which was literally a rushed out efford and ever since MB's quality ranking took a dive.
Incorrect.

The W140 was by all means a proper Mercedes'. The W220 was the problem child and that was the successor model. Where did you get that idea that W140 was "rushed"? It wasn't.

The W126 wasn't a poor handler at all. In the early 1980s my father drove a second hand 300SD Turbodiesel which was excellent condition. He kept this car until 1994 and I had ample opportunity to drive it. Let's just say that for a large car like the W126 handled very nicely. Do you really think that most people will take a W126 on a track and abuse it? I don't. The only time a W126 will have "poor handling" is when the driver takes it to the extremes - and the LS400 won't do well here either.

And to me the W126 is one of the most elegant luxury cars ever, more elegant than the LS400, which was more dynamic and sporty looking but lacked elegance. Again, my personal opinion and the original LS400 is my LS of choice.

Again, my personal opinion.
Old 03-03-08, 09:52 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Ross LS400
Jump across the channel to Britain and see how wrong you are.
I think you need to leave London from time to time to see how wrong you are, my friend.

The vast majority of Lexus sales in the UK have been in, guess where? London. Hybrid sales have increased there because of a man named Ken Livingston (who happens to be the mayor) and introduced a little irritating law called the "Congestion Charge" - from which hybrid cars are exempt because of their lower emissions.

Outside of London, you won't see many Lexus products. You'll see Toyota's, but no Lexus cars. I've been to the UK last May and did a road trip with several friends. We rented a little Ford Fiesta and proceeded to drive along the Southern English coast (Portsmouth, Southampton, Port Isaac etc.). Did we see many Lexus cars? Nope, virtually none. We saw so many Audi's and BMW's that we got sick of them, but pretty much no Lexus cars.

Of course, claiming that ____ sells so many cars based on personal observation through sight is one of the worst means of judging the success of a brand in a particular market.

However I do recall reading that the vast majority of Lexus sales in the UK are concentrated in London. Let's not forget that there are many Americans living in London that feel comfortable with Lexus cars.

The UK also doesn't represent European car buying habits.
Old 03-03-08, 09:53 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
I know most W126 and W140 in Russia came stripped, even without headrests. And most W126's were diesels.
Two things:

One, headrests were standard on all W140's.

Two, no W126 diesels were sold in Europe. The W126 diesels were only sold in North America. The first S class diesel to be sold in Europe was the W140 S350 Turbodiesel.
Old 03-03-08, 09:59 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jmd93
ive been looking for this video for ever and to Dustin v, i dont want to try to fight with you or anything, but you have to remeber, lexus isn't like a european car becuase it isn't european, but im sure you know that
Hello JMD,

I am not here to pick fights, I am here to talk about cars and Lexus.

I know that Lexus isn't "European" but my points are that they should adjust/adapt to the European market and not try to sell American style luxury here.

I guarantee you that if Lexus offered more diesels and smaller engined gasoline cars coupled to cheaper trim levels their sales would be higher. Add to that expanding dealer networks and you're making the right move.
Old 03-03-08, 10:05 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Oh yeah, fun-to-drive is another subjective issue.

I've driven extremely slow cars which I thought were more fun to drive than some extremely fast cars I had driven.

I've driven cars that handled poorly and thought they were more interesting and "fun" to drive than a better handling car.

It's all about opinion.
Old 03-03-08, 10:18 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by DustinV
I personally am not convinced about the Lexus LS600h. I've always wondered how an overweight and overpowered sedan like the LS600h is supposed to get "good fuel economy" once you leave an urban environment. It just doesn't work. I would rather have an LS460 as this car doesn't pretend to be green. Needless to say I am not a fan of Lexus hybrid, especially because I think they were initially marketed in the wrong way. They are marketed as fuel efficient cars in Germany when they clearly aren't. They're low emission cars, but not cars that get great gas mileage. I speak fluent German and I recall reading a GS450h 100,000 km test which the magazine Auto Motor und Sport conducts with selected cars. In mixed driving, the GS450h always returned a fuel economy rating of 12.5 L / 100 km which is about 18.8 mpg. The only area where the GS450h performed well in terms of fuel consumption was in the city.

Hence I wouldn't call the LS600h the most advanced car on the planet if it can't return good gas mileage, as was advertised by Lexus. If it offered V12 performance and V6 fuel economy, then maybe yes. But it doesn't. Besides, in this class, every car is pretty much equal. I would say the LS, S class and A8 are tied in this class for the first spot.

No offense.

Dealer network is only a small part of the big problem. Lexus tries to sell cars in markets where fuel economy is important and where several engine capacity or fuel consumption taxes are in place. People here make fun of say a BMW 520i or a Mercedes E200 Kompressor. Well? In markets like Japan and other Asian countries cars like that have more appeal than say a Lexus IS250 as they're more fuel efficient and offer adequate performance.

Hey, I work and live in Germany. I've been here for a year and half now and I see this everyday. When you see a BMW 5 series or a Benz E class here it is usually a model with a small gasoline or diesel motor under the hood. Not a big V6 or V8.

Cheaper trim levels are also a must. The Europeans don't mind a luxury car with smaller engines or cloth seats. As long as the car is for example comfortable/sporty or has the BMW/Benz badge etc. it is still considered a great buy. And mind you, Lexus prices have gone up here. You might get more standard features with a Lexus, but they still lack the appeal of their European competitors in the European market because of what I just said in my above paragraphs.

I think Lexus should simply dump the reliance on hybrids for the European market and offer a proper diesel IS (IS220d isn't that good I am sorry to say), GS, RX and LS and a V6 SC.

Toyota has long history of motorsport, true. However, Toyota has competed in motorsport events that most auto enthusiasts don't consider anything fancy. Toyota has done well in WRC, almost won in Le Mans once but are performing poorly in Formula One.

The topic here is Lexus though: it has zero motorsport heritage. I wouldn't say the Rolex Series is a good means of bragging about motorsport success since this might work in the US (if even), but it won't work on global scale.

That is not quite true.

In my time in Germany and Europe I've seen that these people tend to examine things from a "Do I really need this?" point of view. These days European mainstream and luxury cars come with the necessary features needed for comfortable driving, which means electric windows and air conditioning. Everything else can be ordered extra if someone really needs it. As an American, I know how back home the average luxury consumer is a bit on the spoiled and perhaps "lazy" side and wants everything to be fully automatic such as the seats, transmission etc.

There are many wealthy Europeans who drive BMW 320i's or Audi A4 1.8T's or a Mercedes S class with a V6 diesel or gasoline engine. Luxury doesn't have to be about excess and wastefulness. In a manner of speaking I could claim that Lexus is wasting their time with hybrids and should offer a V16 LS and a V12 SC because luxury is about being wasteful etc. It isn't. Europeans are all about sensible luxury these days. My car is the base model C200 CDI: I love it.

Claiming that most Russians are sick of the underpowered and stripper European cars is a bit ignorant, don't you think? The average Russian I can imagine would be happy if you gave him a car: any car. So if I decided to gave farmer Igor in Rutnya a 1970s Ford Fiesta, he would be the happiest man on the planet I imagine.

When you say Russia, you have to say Moscow, because the purchasing power in Russia is concentrated in Moscow, not Murmansk, Vladivostok or some small village in Siberia.

In Western Europe it is different. People in smaller towns can afford a Lexus, but don't. Lack of dealer networks, engine options and brand image are the main factors. On a side note, it is possible to have some Lexus' serviced in Toyota dealers. The IS for example can easily be serviced by most Toyota dealers. A GS, however, cannot. Interesting.

I tend to see myself as a realistic person and this means I look for realistic real-world performance. My car, which is a company car (owning a car here is expensive) has very nice performance. The acceleration is fluid (0-62 mph in under 10 seconds) and the agility is not bad at all. Even better is the fuel economy. This car is probably slower than the ES250 but it beats any Lexus ever made in terms of gas mileage, even the IS220d, which has gotten poor reviews here I am afraid to say.

Incorrect.

The W140 was by all means a proper Mercedes'. The W220 was the problem child and that was the successor model. Where did you get that idea that W140 was "rushed"? It wasn't.

The W126 wasn't a poor handler at all. In the early 1980s my father drove a second hand 300SD Turbodiesel which was excellent condition. He kept this car until 1994 and I had ample opportunity to drive it. Let's just say that for a large car like the W126 handled very nicely. Do you really think that most people will take a W126 on a track and abuse it? I don't. The only time a W126 will have "poor handling" is when the driver takes it to the extremes - and the LS400 won't do well here either.

And to me the W126 is one of the most elegant luxury cars ever, more elegant than the LS400, which was more dynamic and sporty looking but lacked elegance. Again, my personal opinion and the original LS400 is my LS of choice.

Again, my personal opinion.
I'm just going to comment on a coupe of things. First of all you have GS450h and LS600h. Yes, they do not offer the fuel economy of 4 cylinder models, but GS450h and LS600h both perform better than GS350 and LS460 respectively, and return better fuel economy, while adding features and performance. Don't forget, they are luxury cars and their main purpose is luxury and performance. And performance they do offer. I haven't driven LS600h, but GS450h is nothing short of amazing. Its just a fraction of a second slower 0-60 than a BMW 550i, but it has the most amazing passing power I have ever experienced. The torque of electric motor and CVT transmission is instant, just step on the gas and it grunts like a bat out of hell, no waiting for downshifts or turbo spools. With such responce you wont have a problem outgunning more powerful cars in the city and highway driving.

Second your comment about Russians. Sure, if you gave someone that doesn't have any car at all a 1970 crapbucket with tires, they would be grateful. But give them a choice between their Lada and a Lexus, and what do you think they will prefer. I remember when we picked up a relative from JFK airport, who came here for the first time around, and drove him off in my parent 4runner they used to have. He was amazed, he couldn't believe the car was driving with virtually no engine noise, vibrations, manual tranny, etc.

As far as everything else, lets just agree to disagree. You seem to believe that fuel economy is the number one priority, even in luxury cars. I also think that fuel economy is one of the top concerns, even in luxury cars, but as long as it does not compromise luxury, which is about excess.
Old 03-03-08, 10:26 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Two things:

One, headrests were standard on all W140's.

Two, no W126 diesels were sold in Europe. The W126 diesels were only sold in North America. The first S class diesel to be sold in Europe was the W140 S350 Turbodiesel.
That can't be, because these W126 diesels were all over Russia. They had shortages of petrol fuel in the early 90ies, and with some modifications these cars ran on industrial grade diesel fuel that was readily available.
Old 03-03-08, 10:28 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Hello JMD,

I am not here to pick fights, I am here to talk about cars and Lexus.

I know that Lexus isn't "European" but my points are that they should adjust/adapt to the European market and not try to sell American style luxury here.

I guarantee you that if Lexus offered more diesels and smaller engined gasoline cars coupled to cheaper trim levels their sales would be higher. Add to that expanding dealer networks and you're making the right move.
Yeah, but why should Lexus adopt to European market, when there's Toyota that seems to be doing just fine over there? I'd rather see Lexus remain exclusive.
Old 03-03-08, 10:34 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Oh yeah, fun-to-drive is another subjective issue.

I've driven extremely slow cars which I thought were more fun to drive than some extremely fast cars I had driven.

I've driven cars that handled poorly and thought they were more interesting and "fun" to drive than a better handling car.

It's all about opinion.
I know what you mean, kind of. Sometimes you can take a Lada with 60hp and 155mm wide worn out tube tires, virtually no insulation, manual tranny, no power steering, no power brake, and any other nonsense. It is as raw they get, and boy is it fun to throw that thing around some corners. Sure it will accelerate and handle pathetic, but that engine noise, tire squeel, smoke, and body roll will make you giggle like a baby. But the fun stops if you have to drive that crapbucket on daily basis.
Old 03-03-08, 02:39 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

DustinV iagree with you on most if not all of your points. Besides for lexus trying to become european. I like the idea of having diesels and v6's in cars like the s,e, and c class. I also like the fact that we can get smaller engines in smaller cars, ex. the bmw 323. Although not available here, to my knowledge, we can get them from canada. I used to think that i was the onlyone who thought this but guess not . But i guess the reason that cars like mb and bmw couldn't do that here is because even as important brand is to americans, they need everything to be done for them or to be as luxorius as possible. As to having no leather, no a/c, and other key elements in a mb or bmw, they would rather just buy a toyota or subaru. On a side note, the subaru legacy is one of the bnest cars for the money i think . So in other words, i agree with what you are saying and glad you and me share the same thought on it well most of it
Old 03-03-08, 02:41 PM
tbilisi79
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
I know what you mean, kind of. Sometimes you can take a Lada with 60hp and 155mm wide worn out tube tires, virtually no insulation, manual tranny, no power steering, no power brake, and any other nonsense. It is as raw they get, and boy is it fun to throw that thing around some corners. Sure it will accelerate and handle pathetic, but that engine noise, tire squeel, smoke, and body roll will make you giggle like a baby. But the fun stops if you have to drive that crapbucket on daily basis.
Oh no....I cannt belive Lada came into this talk. hahah...What a misserable car.

I have been in Moscow at least 8 times. Moscow has more MB BMW cars than in USA in total. WIth that said, many of the cars did not come loaded, mostly because they came used from europe, weather stolen or bought.
Today, its a different story. People have lots more money to spend and they spend it well. It is not rare to see a Aston Martin drive down those roads. Roads by the way so bad, a 4runner would have hard times getting by.
Old 03-03-08, 08:03 PM
GKLCPA
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tbilisi79
Fighting words?

Read my original post.
All I said is that, I think MB and BMW is more fun to drive if you have a pulse. FUN TO DRIVE. I said nothing about reliability or practicality. Time has shown which one of those 4 cars are the best in the long run. MB 420's had timing chain problems at 100k. 560SEL had suspension problems, BMW would leak oil all over the place and I am not even talking about the Jag.
LS400 at that time was a great value for the MONEY, that is a fact.
Traction Control, 4 valve per cyl V8 motor, good sound system, auto climate control. All good features. Great value then and now.
But, if I was to buy a car in 1990, it would be a 735 BMW, it just drives great, to my liking.
Today, if I had to buy a car under $7000. It would be a Lexus, not a MB or BMW.
Now. I like to treat myself good when I can. With that said. I buy cars that bring smiles my way. I like cars that are big, cars that are fast, cars that have lots of interesting details, inside and out. Cars like BMW 750IL (95-01), MB S500 or S600-v12 (1992-1999), BMW 635CSI,M6. Special cars with hand stitched leather and one of the kind persona. Cars that one does not see every day. Cars that let you know that, you are driving a special car.
I owned a few cars in my life so far.
3 Lincolns, 2 of them I used for drag racing.
1 96 Mustang Convertible V8, slowest car I owned.
a 95 S500, one of the best.
And a car I drive now, a 98 LS, which I love, for all it is. A reliable 4 door car.
I stated my opinion, nothing else.

You are talking about keeping the faith??? Are you serious?? This is just a car brand, nothing else. Unless you own a large Toyota stock, or work at a Lexus dealership polishing wheels, I dont see what your problem is.
Yep. Them's fighting words and, no, you ain't keeping the faith. As a matter of fact, I'll go one further and suggest that you may be guilty of heresy just by mentioning MB, BMW and Lexus in the same breath.

All kidding aside, I've had both the BMW and MB (I still have the bimmer) and the most memorable thing I recall about both of them was the constant trips to the repair shop, particularly with the bimmer. Every month I was in the shop for something. On the MB, I had a front wheel just come off the car one day--thank God I wasn't going down the highway at 70 mph. Sure they might have been fun to drive inbetween trips to the mechanic, but the cost of maintaining them far exceeded any enjoyment I might have gotten from driving them.

I enjoy driving my LS and I find it fun to drive. It's solid, quiet and a very enjoyable car for me to drive. Moreover, the only time I've been to the shop has been for scheduled maintenance. Sure, for some it is boringly reliable, but for me that's precisely what i'm looking for. They couldn't pay me to own a MB or a bimmer at this point. For me fun to drive and reliabiity are two sides of the coin I want.
Old 03-03-08, 09:21 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tbilisi79
Oh no....I cannt belive Lada came into this talk. hahah...What a misserable car.

I have been in Moscow at least 8 times. Moscow has more MB BMW cars than in USA in total. WIth that said, many of the cars did not come loaded, mostly because they came used from europe, weather stolen or bought.
Today, its a different story. People have lots more money to spend and they spend it well. It is not rare to see a Aston Martin drive down those roads. Roads by the way so bad, a 4runner would have hard times getting by.
Its true about roads, they are so bad that a lot of them are only usuable during dry summer days, in the winter, fall and spring they are either covered by god knows how many feet of snow or become mud swamps. This is why in Moscow you see mostly German cars - they come from Europe, but go to Vladivostok, and its mostly Japanese right hand drive cars that came from Japan. These Japanese cars rarely make it to Moscow because the highway between Moscow and Vladivostok basically doesn't exist, and vice versa.

By the way, judging from your nickname, I assume you came from Georgia? As in Georgia the country, not the state.

Quick Reply: Top Gear: 1990 LS 400 vs. 735i vs. 420 SE vs. 4.0 Sov.