LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Flushed PS fluid and removed solenoid and cleaned filter.

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-08, 10:58 AM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah, I think I've nailed that down every way I possibly can. This car is having work done left and right either for cosmetic 'appearance'.. or otherwise. I need to get on the horn to the mechanic (seller) of the car this week. I just dread that though heh,.. Cars are sold as is, especially at this price and I hate holding him to a PS pump -- But I'm gonna do it. Money is money, no?

If it turns out to be a hassle I'll just fork it out myself and put it on myself, no big deal. This PS pump deal isn't in 'writing'.. just a word of mouth deal. So it could go either way.

Take care,
Old 03-04-08, 02:12 PM
Tommyboy72
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Neofate
Thanks --

Any ideas on the gunk in the reservoir? I'm sure leaving it as is would be just fine -- but you never know.

I have a feeling that trying to clean it would dislodge and create more troubles than its worth. Maybe others know a trick though.
Any good solvent can eat that stuff. Soaked in seafoam for a few hours/overnight while OFF the car and then rinsed out before re-install should do it. Make sure its off the car and the rubber pieces are removed (o-ring) while it soaks. I would get it out of there if possible.
Old 03-04-08, 04:34 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Sounds like a good plan. Seafoam the best thing to use? If seafoam is that rough you'd think it would be rather harsh on the fuel lines -- But I guess it is GASOLINE in there, eh?

Taking the reservoir out rather easy? I never looked it over to see how it came apart personally.. Though with a new pump and new fluid I will be cleaning out that reservoir if it isn't that hard to get off the vehicle.

The PS system really doesn't hold that much fluid. I never checked the quanities but I recall that posts to get 7 quarts to be on the safe side when flushing. I flushed and have plenty left to flush and refill the thing again. Just an observation. (Alot of it is held in those HP lines).

Thanks btw.
Old 03-04-08, 05:16 PM
Tommyboy72
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The reservoir holds I think 1/2 of a quart? Maybe less. 3 bolts hold it in. One of them is a PITA to remove but certainly do-able with patience.

Seafoam isn't the only choice I'm sure, it was just readily available so I thought of it. Can you scrape the build up? If you can, soaking it in a solvent and then scraping it will get it out of there.
Old 03-04-08, 05:31 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Figures one bolt would be in a really bad spot -- But if its just drop three bolts and the reservoir comes off,.. Then that doesn't seem bad. Is getting it back on easier than off?

Can I scrape the build up? Thats the problem -- All I have is the small fill hole, and I might get to some small sections on the bottom of that reservoir, but not all of it.. which is why I was asking about a liquid solution to this.

You would know how much I would be able to scrape the reservoir yourself ,.. Not real sure why you are asking if I can scrape it? You tell me

The gunk is on the bottom.. maybe I can get in from a lower line port when off.. but I don't anticipate being able to scrape the majority of it unless there is a good little tool that could get in there and sort of sand around.

Don't think the seafoam would loosen all the gunk off where some rinses with the hose would flush it out?
Old 03-08-08, 11:27 AM
akxx
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

That third bolt on the reservoir is a real pain. And much harder to get back on than off, since you have to position it just right and get the threads started...
Old 03-09-08, 10:41 AM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Encouraging

Thanks man,.. thanks alot. =)
Old 03-12-08, 08:41 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Well good and bad news

The bad: Looks like I won't be doing a DIY guide for my PS pump. The forum could really use a good step by step with pictures on removal of the PS pump.

The good: I decided to take the car to the mechanic (seller of vehicle) and he honored his word. He is ordering a new pump from Toyota, he is very **** about using parts that are not toyota/lexus on that car. I spoke to his wife too and she was teasing me about how it was 'her car' and I needed to give it back

So he is going to throw on a new PS pump for me , I assume in the next days/week or so,.. which is inevitably why I won't be doing a write up because he , of course, wants to put the part he buys on himself.

In a way I am sort of comforted in that, because he is an ASE Master mechanic, but mainly because if the HP line cracks or needs replacing etc.. He will go ahead and do that. If it happened to me,.. I'm out $$.

Also I'm sure it will get done properly -- Only worry now is if he will need the car more than one day due to his one man rediculously busy shop.

When I was there today he had at least 14 cars lined up and 3-4 people waiting to pick up their car. Very busy guy.

Just an update. I guess I can take a picture of the new pump for everyone

Wish me luck in that replacing the pump will ultimately cure this problem --

So far:

New Rack and Pinion
Cleaned Solenoid screens.
Flushed PS system twice.
Bled three times jacked up.
Removed and retorqued Pulley.
Replaced some hosing, but not the HP yet.
Coming soon: New pump
New HP hose with pump.

Only thing missing will be the Air control valve,.. I hope mine is still working.. Fairly sure it is since the ATF fluid doesn't leak.
Old 03-13-08, 05:35 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i may be doing the write up if there's enough interest, my ps pump has decided to get extremely noisy and inconsistent lately.
Old 03-13-08, 10:05 AM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 19psi
i may be doing the write up if there's enough interest, my ps pump has decided to get extremely noisy and inconsistent lately.
Do it man! This forum and the community in general needs an extensive write up,.. with LOTS of pictures. If you lived even remotely close I would come out to your place and help you out. (You crawl under the car, I take pictures.. hehe) -- No, I would get dirty.. I enjoy mechanical work.

Otherwise, I assume your in California or some such (didn't glance by your name in the thread).. take way too many pictures and then hand select them.

If you wanted, you could take all the pictures, write a description out and I would piece it all together.

It just needs to be done because A) It is SO common and B) The trickiest part is getting to a certain bolt,.. anyone can do this with the right tools and motivation.
Old 03-13-08, 11:05 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah i will do it with pictures and all. i'm pretty good at describing what you need to do to make it happen, so hopefully it will help someone out in the future too. anyone want to sponsor me a ps pump to make it happen faster? ::
Old 03-13-08, 12:00 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

That is actually not a bad idea. Get sponsers from the forum -- say a group of 5-6 people to throw in 20 bucks a piece etc.. Then you are obligated to take pictures and do a full , minimum LexLS style write up , DIY on it.

There are plenty more things to do on mine,.. If anyone wants to sponser me an Air Control Valve,.. or an EGR Pipe I will do a complete step by step DIY.

If others will kick in psi.. I would honestly be one of the group who pitched in for the pump for you. I see nothing wrong with helping each other out.
Old 03-13-08, 12:05 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Side note.. Just got off the phone with the mechanic.. He said he found two pumps he likes to use -- He said one came with a new reservoir one didn't. He bought the one that came with the reservoir.

That is fantastic! Keeps me from having to clean the old one now.. sweet Going to get it done first of the week.