LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Does it matter whether the replacement subwoofer is Free-Air or not?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-08 | 09:48 PM
nawls400
Rookie

Originally Posted by Neofate
Check out elemental design products. There are several threads regarding Free-Air subs in the audio forum, do a quick search on it.

Nawls: For your cover rattle -- It has latches holding it down. I would simply modify the cover itself. You can rig the latches to have more holding power.. (make sure you shake the cover when you pull it off to ensure it isn't a 'free moving' part making the noise) -- And/or you can insulate the cover with foam/rubber or dyno-mat and then force clip it on. Where it won't have any room to rattle. Basically reduce any possible play in it.

Again if it is already as tight as it gets .. do the shake test and remove or secure whatever is make the resonate noise.

Cover is super easy to get off, so modifying it or adjusting shouldn't be a big project.

I'm familiar with it latching down, and have removed it to put weather stripping along the edge by the window but realized this only helped so much. I'm pretty sure it's not a free moving part...it is possible the entire back dash is just not completely secured down (considereing it is a 1990) but I will check again and then I will go and try to rig the latches, I was considering the , but i'll try the latches first...thanks!
Old 03-12-08 | 10:27 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver
CL Folding 10,000

I am no expert on the 'rigging' of the speaker cover -- But that is what I would do is all. When you do figure out a fix, post what you did.. Take a picture if you have a dig. camera handy. Never know who it will help years down the road with the search function.

Good luck
Old 03-15-08 | 07:40 AM
haulin79
Driver

There are technical differences between freeair subs and subs made for boxes. Typically, the Qts for free air subs is 0.7 +/- .1 while the Qts for subs made for boxes is lower than 0.6.

Get the right sub made for the intended application.

Just as a free-air sub in a box will sound crappy, a sub made for boxes will sound crappy when placed in free-air.
Old 03-15-08 | 08:43 AM
fencera
Rookie

Regarding the rattling, I had a similar problem on my '90 after upgrading the sub. Here are the primary causes of my rattles (in no order):

1. The fabric itself that creates the grill vibrated against the plastic frame. From the back, I used a silicone glue to spot glue it and reduce vibration.

2. I used plenty of foam and weather stripping under and over (along the base where it almost meets the glass) to eliminate noise from vibration. Sounds as if you already did that.

3. I noticed that one of the vibrations was actually coming from the roof liner, where the antenna ends on the glass. I pulled down some of the roof liner and put some weather stripping in there. Oddly enough, seems to have helped a lot. (you'll see some sort of end cap and a wire running along just inside the back edge of the roof liner)

4. The locking release mechanism in my trunk lid was vibrating some. This is on the passenger side of the truck lid and I pulled back some of the lining to spray it with some lithium grease. Temporarily seems to have helped.

5. There were a couple loose fasteners behind my trunk lid lining that I glued in place.

6. The tension bar that helps open the trunk lid rests on hard plastic spacers (one to the left, one to the right of the gas tank under rear deck... may be more) that can be a source of rattling. The tension bar vibrates against them when the trunk is closed. I just slipped some towel material in between the two parts to take care of that.

I think that covers it. There are a few very minor vibrations left, but it is an 18 year old car after all...

Hope that helps.
Old 03-16-08 | 10:04 PM
nawls400
Rookie

Originally Posted by fencera
Regarding the rattling, I had a similar problem on my '90 after upgrading the sub. Here are the primary causes of my rattles (in no order):

1. The fabric itself that creates the grill vibrated against the plastic frame. From the back, I used a silicone glue to spot glue it and reduce vibration.

2. I used plenty of foam and weather stripping under and over (along the base where it almost meets the glass) to eliminate noise from vibration. Sounds as if you already did that.

3. I noticed that one of the vibrations was actually coming from the roof liner, where the antenna ends on the glass. I pulled down some of the roof liner and put some weather stripping in there. Oddly enough, seems to have helped a lot. (you'll see some sort of end cap and a wire running along just inside the back edge of the roof liner)

4. The locking release mechanism in my trunk lid was vibrating some. This is on the passenger side of the truck lid and I pulled back some of the lining to spray it with some lithium grease. Temporarily seems to have helped.

5. There were a couple loose fasteners behind my trunk lid lining that I glued in place.

6. The tension bar that helps open the trunk lid rests on hard plastic spacers (one to the left, one to the right of the gas tank under rear deck... may be more) that can be a source of rattling. The tension bar vibrates against them when the trunk is closed. I just slipped some towel material in between the two parts to take care of that.

I think that covers it. There are a few very minor vibrations left, but it is an 18 year old car after all...

Hope that helps.

As much as i thought that was the problem it seems mostly out of it all that it's only when i have the brake light attached to the back which makes me want to believe that the brake light itself is actually acting as a resonater (like the cone of the subwoofer, lol) and I haven't really had the time to actually go and make sure all of the carpeting is secure and what not, since it will be a somewhat time consuming job and i was hoping that would not be the case...but you said you had a similar problem and i will try and do some of the stuff you mentioned, hopefully that will help...and now ill just add it the list of about 30 things i am plannin to do/fix with my Lexus hahah man...thank god summer is almost here, maybe i'll have some more time for that stuff then.

I will definitely try these pointers and let you know if they worked for me anyways thanks for the info though man, i hope that's what will help; and to all--i will let you guys know anything that i did and try and get some pics up as well!