LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

looking for a manual transmission.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-08, 10:27 PM
Rocan
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

turning an ls4 into a drift car just seems... out there. you lose the luxury bit seeing how you have to change suspension and put in a manual making the car much more jerky. oh well, do what you wish.
Old 03-16-08, 12:02 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

gotta do more than that but its besides the point, you COULD do it, and hell, the toyota chaser and crown ewere both luxury cars that went into drift, and there are some 4 door nissan/infiniti drift cars too. (old and new)

the only difference is that toy/lex never offered a manual trans for the LS, or even on that could bolt onto the 1uz.
Old 03-16-08, 08:30 AM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LSDRIFT
Well I have been toying with the idea of a 1JZ swap with the R154 tranny. I have always loved chasers and I figure that if I cant own one I would go the next best routethis is my second LS my other is in keeping with lux styling so i picked this one up to see if i could make my slideing sedan dreams happen. i dont know though if i went with the 1JZGTE how much would i have to handle being flamed lol?
2UZFE block swap might be feasible option to work with.. Or just modifying the 1UZ in there. It has a fair amount of untapped potential in the 4.0 liter. Don't discount it.

PD is right, as he is 12% of the time (Kidding PD) -- The 1JZ is just small a motor for this frame/body. This car, especially difting is going to require a fair amount of torque (think over 300ft-lbs) -- The horsepower will fall into line if you keep that torque up there.

No one is going to flame you whatever you do.. Or not many,.. I, again, would love to see an LS drift.. but don't rip the heart and soul of the LS out to do it
Old 03-16-08, 08:32 AM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Rocan
turning an ls4 into a drift car just seems... out there. you lose the luxury bit seeing how you have to change suspension and put in a manual making the car much more jerky. oh well, do what you wish.
It isn't his daily..

And it being 'out there' is the whole point! Being unique, being the first or one of the first is what makes it so great. Makes it uniquely challenging, and has the potential to set a trend as a pioneer.

Just depends on how it performs..
Old 03-16-08, 12:42 PM
Rocan
Pole Position

ok then. as long as its not his daily. i say go for it, but like what Neofate said, dont make this a different car to make it drift, otherwise its not a ls4 drifting... its some other car.
Old 03-16-08, 12:57 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Heh, it's a kind request. It's the mans car, he can do with what he wants.. as I'm sure he will
Old 03-16-08, 02:16 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

even if it is his daily it doesnt make a difference, he can do with it what he pleases.

if i only had the space to list some of my friend's daily drivers.....
Old 03-16-08, 03:56 PM
Rocan
Pole Position

it is his, he can do with it what he wishes. just stating my opinion
Old 03-17-08, 12:53 AM
LSDRIFT
Driver School Candidate

well i went to a scrap yard today and to my surprize i saw a MKIV supra (torn to **** looks like it rolled once or twice.) I on a impulse buy bought the transmission manual twin turbo.(would have gotten the motor to but somebody either pulled that before it went to the yard or right after it got there.) i took it home and set it next to my project LS tranny and although there are differences they seem to match up pretty well. so i dug in i took off both bell housings and tried to swap them and there is only a few millimeter difference so i think on my next day off on Friday im gonna start swapping parts in the tranny's to try and make it work i will be doing a write up but for the life of me i cant find my cord to my camera so as soon as i find the cord you will get pictures to I hope this isn't just a dead end but it looks promising so far.
Old 03-17-08, 12:30 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by LSDRIFT
well i went to a scrap yard today and to my surprize i saw a MKIV supra (torn to **** looks like it rolled once or twice.) I on a impulse buy bought the transmission manual twin turbo.(would have gotten the motor to but somebody either pulled that before it went to the yard or right after it got there.) i took it home and set it next to my project LS tranny and although there are differences they seem to match up pretty well. so i dug in i took off both bell housings and tried to swap them and there is only a few millimeter difference so i think on my next day off on Friday im gonna start swapping parts in the tranny's to try and make it work i will be doing a write up but for the life of me i cant find my cord to my camera so as soon as i find the cord you will get pictures to I hope this isn't just a dead end but it looks promising so far.
will not bolt up, regardless of which trans you're talkinga bout (6spd v160 was the only manual offered behind the GTE motor, also normally costs around 4-5k).

you need an adapter plate or bellhousing (from either MVP in tx or dellow/castlemaine in australia) + the custom clutch, flywheel, and pedal setups.

those alone will prolly be an additional 2-4k on top. i hope u did ur research.
Old 03-17-08, 12:45 PM
LSDRIFT
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
will not bolt up, regardless of which trans you're talkinga bout (6spd v160 was the only manual offered behind the GTE motor, also normally costs around 4-5k).

you need an adapter plate or bellhousing (from either MVP in tx or dellow/castlemaine in australia) + the custom clutch, flywheel, and pedal setups.

those alone will prolly be an additional 2-4k on top. i hope u did ur research.
lol not particularly research is for the sane people who would never try this. The yard is called pick a' part and they have a set price for everything including tranny's so i only paid 150 for it but i was going to pull the splines and measure them and if they come close enough im gonna try swamping them as well as the bell housings. then im gonna see about a drive shaft as well as the clutch.
Old 03-17-08, 12:53 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

you got a v160 for $150..... o.o

you sir, are nothing less than ridiculously lucky
(and i hope u didnt pick up a w58 5speed from a non-turbo on accident)

lextreme.com has a lot of info on clutch/bellhousing setups as well as where to buy at a reasonable price, you're still on ur own for clutch lines, master/slaves, driveshafts(you will likely have to get a supra front portion and have it welded to the rest of the LS shaft), and pedals tho....
Old 03-17-08, 01:09 PM
LSDRIFT
Driver School Candidate

ya but if this pans out it will be awesome and ya finding the supra V160 in there really surprised the hell out of me.
Old 03-17-08, 05:30 PM
Rocan
Pole Position

man... your lucky as hell! good luck with it... cant wait for some pics!
Old 03-18-08, 01:25 AM
LSDRIFT
Driver School Candidate

gotta love kids with parents who have deep pockets.... they make finding parts so much easier lol.

Quick Reply: looking for a manual transmission.