LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

A tale of a broken starter (my Ex '98).....

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-19, 03:00 PM
LS400FAN
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by billydpowe
my nephew has done 5 starter jobs and on each, it was only the contacts that was bad, have never had a starter that was faulty, just the contacts
Billy kudos to your nephew, and I think he was spot on about replacing only the contacts. Here's my take and experience and hopefully this may help a few of my LS owner friends. I'll try to keep this short and sweet. I first replaced only the starter "contacts" on my wife's '98 LS 12 yrs ago at 105k miles, that worked perfectly until now because I am at it again with 320k on the odom, but this time I'm going to replace it with a Denso reman because my reasoning is that with over 300k miles other parts of the starter undoubtedly need replacing simply because of wear, such as bearings, brushes, bushings, armature and etc. I'm not going to take the chance that its only the contacts this time, it's Murphy's law if you know what I mean. Now, ironically the starter on my '95 LS has never been repaired or replaced and its pushing 260k miles (I hope I'm not jinxing myself With that said, at a 100k I took a chance on just the contacts but I wouldn't risk it at 300k-plus, the reman is costing me $70 bucks which is a good deal when you get all new parts inside the starter, of course I'm saving big time on the labor because I never let anyone touch my LS but me. If anyone wants to comment if this makes sense or not or if you have any questions, please freely do so. Thanks.
Old 01-23-19, 01:45 AM
spuds
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 176 Posts

Not a reman,they are trouble.If not OEM at least get an all new one.IMO and experience thats a better option.
The following users liked this post:
LS400FAN (01-25-19)
Old 01-23-19, 10:07 AM
leftybp
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LS400FAN
Billy kudos to your nephew, and I think he was spot on about replacing only the contacts. Here's my take and experience and hopefully this may help a few of my LS owner friends. I'll try to keep this short and sweet. I first replaced only the starter "contacts" on my wife's '98 LS 12 yrs ago at 105k miles, that worked perfectly until now because I am at it again with 320k on the odom, but this time I'm going to replace it with a Denso reman because my reasoning is that with over 300k miles other parts of the starter undoubtedly need replacing simply because of wear, such as bearings, brushes, bushings, armature and etc. I'm not going to take the chance that its only the contacts this time, it's Murphy's law if you know what I mean. Now, ironically the starter on my '95 LS has never been repaired or replaced and its pushing 260k miles (I hope I'm not jinxing myself With that said, at a 100k I took a chance on just the contacts but I wouldn't risk it at 300k-plus, the reman is costing me $70 bucks which is a good deal when you get all new parts inside the starter, of course I'm saving big time on the labor because I never let anyone touch my LS but me. If anyone wants to comment if this makes sense or not or if you have any questions, please freely do so. Thanks.
hello LS400FAN
this is billydpowell, my LS400 is still starting just like new. now has 226825 miles. it first failed at 165???. when my nephew replaced my contacts
for some reason club lexus will not let me replace my password (which I have forgotten) so I had to sign in as leftybp to get on here and reply to you
and if mine had 300+ on it now I wouldtry to get a NEW starter like spuds said..
The following 2 users liked this post by leftybp:
LS400FAN (01-25-19), spuds (01-25-19)
Old 01-24-19, 07:39 PM
LS400FAN
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by leftybp
hello LS400FAN
this is billydpowell, my LS400 is still starting just like new. now has 226825 miles. it first failed at 165???. when my nephew replaced my contacts
for some reason club lexus will not let me replace my password (which I have forgotten) so I had to sign in as leftybp to get on here and reply to you
and if mine had 300+ on it now I wouldtry to get a NEW starter like spuds said..
Originally Posted by spuds
Not a reman,they are trouble.If not OEM at least get an all new one.IMO and experience thats a better option.
Oh no now you tell me about the reman which is a good thing because I haven't installed it yet but my wife is getting a little impatient being without her wheels, could you possibly share your experience with the reman? Thanks.

Old 01-24-19, 08:55 PM
spuds
Racer

Oh no now you tell me about the reman which is a good thing because I haven't installed it yet but my wife is getting a little impatient being without her wheels, could you possibly share your experience with the reman? Thanks.
Horror stories.Nephew just went thru 3 reman starters on Jeep,they failed in weeks,he finally went new (china),lucky a CJ7 is a simple pull.I had the horror story on my alternator on Ram truck,took 3 to get it right.Store Carquest told me return rates on chinese remans are thru the roof,but its their only supplier now.Nephew told me it isnt unusual for half a container full of remans to get shipped BACK to china.What autozone, or whatever it was, told him.

Thats my story.They used to be great when we remaned them here.

In the late 1970's I worked for a guy who wholesaled rebuilds,quality was excellent,they were very good deals.Not now.I recently put a china new starter in my Jeep,its been just fine.

LS400,I can only send my best wishes you get lucky.And if I could find an OEM for the Lexus,I'd bite the bullet and get it,too hard to replace.

Last edited by spuds; 01-24-19 at 09:18 PM.
Old 01-24-19, 10:34 PM
LS400FAN
Pit Crew

Horror stories.Nephew just went thru 3 reman starters on Jeep,they failed in weeks,he finally went new (china),lucky a CJ7 is a simple pull.I had the horror story on my alternator on Ram truck,took 3 to get it right.Store Carquest told me return rates on chinese remans are thru the roof,but its their only supplier now.Nephew told me it isnt unusual for half a container full of remans to get shipped BACK to china.What autozone, or whatever it was, told him.

Thats my story.They used to be great when we remaned them here.

In the late 1970's I worked for a guy who wholesaled rebuilds,quality was excellent,they were very good deals.Not now.I recently put a china new starter in my Jeep,its been just fine.

LS400,I can only send my best wishes you get lucky.And if I could find an OEM for the Lexus,I'd bite the bullet and get it,too hard to replace.
Thanks for the info spuds, unfortunately I don't think they make OEM anything anymore for a 21 yr old Lexus. Most likely they're coming from China even when you buy them from the dealer. You are right about wanting to get this right, the time and effort of replacing it again is unthinkable. On the otherhand I read where one guy is still running strong 5 yrs after putting in an Oreilly reman starter, another question does Denso even reman their own products, maybe but I don't think so. Nothing's for certain, but I don't know if I can wait another week to put this puppy in decisions decisions. Good luck with your Jeep.
Old 01-25-19, 12:37 AM
spuds
Racer

I would guess Denso would hold their products to a higher standard.Does anyone know about where the denso's are coming from?Both of us are doing good on our china new starters.
What is the dealer selling for starters?
LS400FAN (01-25-19)
Old 01-25-19, 12:52 AM
spuds
Racer

Amazon Amazon

Some reviewer said USA,but I cant find that in description,but excellent reviews.122.59 reman.

Last edited by spuds; 01-25-19 at 12:59 AM.
LS400FAN (01-25-19)
Old 01-25-19, 12:59 AM
spuds
Racer

Brand new Denso for 158.00.

36 dollars more for new vrs reman,no brainer,this is my pick.IMO of course,for what its worth.

Amazon Amazon
LS400FAN (01-25-19)
Old 01-25-19, 01:23 PM
LS400FAN
Pit Crew

Brand new Denso for 158.00.

36 dollars more for new vrs reman,no brainer,this is my pick.IMO of course,for what its worth.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0018RBMBK..._t3_B000C5YDC4
Hey buddy I truly appreciate you sticking with me on this, and THANKS for the link, I was just about to order it until I put in my car's yr make and model for the exact fit, then I get a popup "Reman" description of the product instead of what they're advertising which is "New". I don't mean to take up any of your time my friend but if you get a free moment could you put in your veh info and see if you're seeing the same thing I'm seeing? I just want to be sure this thing is "new". THANKS a bunch.
Old 01-25-19, 01:27 PM
spuds
Racer

• Comes with full manufacturer warranty
  • Most orders leave warehouse same day
  • Most orders delivered in 2-3 days
  • Brand new sealed package
This fits your:

1998 Lexus LS400
Notes: REMAN STARTER, DENSO IS THE OE, 2.0 KW
==============================

Looks like seller changed at this link,try a different link.

Last edited by spuds; 01-25-19 at 01:33 PM.
Old 01-25-19, 02:10 PM
LS400FAN
Pit Crew

Hmm well I tried all available links (3) for this product, 1 came up "new"(same link as above) and the other 2 were for Denso Remans. I also noticed the seller and distributor changed for the new one, something just doesn't seem right, what's your take? I also sent a question to the seller, who knows when or if they will reply but I can't help being a little suspicious. Thanks again.
Old 01-25-19, 02:30 PM
LS400FAN
Pit Crew

I get the same Reman note from both Sellers, B2C and StockWise

Amazon Amazon
Old 01-25-19, 02:55 PM
spuds
Racer

I also sent a question to the seller, who knows when or if they will reply but I can't help being a little suspicious. Thanks again.
Looks reman to me.

And this looks china
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Starter-Mot...S400#vi-ilComp

Old 01-25-19, 03:11 PM
spuds
Racer

Very frustrating.Maybe the rebuilt first link? At least had 8 5 star reviews.

Something like this? At least looks clean unlike most china rough looking rebuilds?

W0133-1601592.... the 140.00 denso?
https://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/19...l/starter.html

Sorry LS400 I I cant find any better.This is as bad as trying to buy a TV online,frustrating!

Quick Reply: A tale of a broken starter (my Ex '98).....