LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400
Old 01-09-15, 11:31 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lexus IS Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

DIY - Tail Light Removal/Installation - DIY

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-08 | 10:03 PM
JBrewster
Driver

Originally Posted by drewkaree
Even the most experienced mechanic in the entire world had to start at some point, and not everyone is at the same skill level you believe YOU are at. Assuming someone "has no business touching a car" if they don't know the simplest of procedures (to you, anyway) is to deny a potential windfall of information from such a person when they endeavor to tackle such "simple" problems themselves and start learning how to work on cars.

I pulled the engine on an '88 Prelude before I had ever changed the oil in a car that I owned. I had to LEARN how to change the oil in my car. I would have been such a person you assumed "had no business touching a car" if all you knew was that I didn't know how to change the oil in one, yet I was able to follow simple directions in a book to perform far more major tasks.

Be careful what you proclaim as your gospel.
That's a nice story, but I stand firmly behind my beliefs. If a person needs a DIY to remove a few nuts to pull the taillight off, then that person doesn't need to be messing with such things.
Old 03-28-08 | 01:22 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver
CL Folding 10,000

Let's put it this way. I would have read this DIY before changing my taillight or bulb since I frequent this board. Why not?

On the other hand, it should be easy enough to figure out.

The way I see it, a DIY on the simplest things might save some people a little time in the long run. Doesn't hurt to learn from someone else's experiences.

I'm sure the manual lacks a through explanation. Not that one is needed.

I would dare say your typical lexus owner doesn't change their own lightbulbs.
Old 03-29-08 | 09:04 AM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

I appreciate your DIYs, but I have two criticisms:

1) This thread has a plethora of pics, but your PS write-up needs a LOT more...

2) You forgot the CYA disclaimer. LexLS has a great one. http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/#disclaimer

I've heard a pretty good quote recently in regards to this. There are two infinite things: the universe, and human stupidity. I am not immune to the latter, but rather quite guilty of it.

And for the outright haters, you guys just plain suck.
Old 03-29-08 | 01:01 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver
CL Folding 10,000

Any and all DIY's should be encouraged.. lord knows we need more of them. I could imagine a picture/video DIY of eventually every basic system of the car. Would be nice to organize into a library -- Say lexLS on steroids.

Anyhow..

The DIY's are more of an afterthought,.. I apologize, (I guess), for the Power steering DIY missing every angle, on each step. Pictures mean alot, but at the time I was doing it, I could only manage to get a few shots.

You know how it is when your working on something, going to get more batteries for the dig. camera isn't always on top of the list.

On that, several people have used it with sucess,.. even w/ the fact that it could use more pictures. Combined that DIY, with the Power steering bible, with lexLS,.. I think people are pretty well off. We are really only missing a Power Steering Pump removal DIY.

--

Disclaimer,.. I thought that sort of spoke for itself. I wasn't aware I should be adding disclaimers to 'DIY' -- These are half-baked sometimes,.. as you eloquently noted. As such it is a general reference for people to go by. That should be intended by the format/element in which it is presented.

If this were on lexLS, or he wanted to use a portion of pictures/steps on anything I have written and will write -- He is welcome to, and that Disclaimer would apply. It does apply here.

And,.. finally - The Einstein quote. One of the best things he ever came up with
Old 02-20-10 | 08:55 AM
Mello0000
Driver School Candidate

Default A thank you

I am the original owner of a 93 LS 400
I thank you so much for taking your time to show me how to change my
taillight bulbs
Pictures and directions are SPECTACULAR

Again I greatly appreciate your kindness in sharing this information
Sincerely
Richard
Old 02-20-10 | 12:24 PM
rojo412
Driver School Candidate

I'd like to give a big thumbs up for this DIY, as well as just about any other one that explains how to do something clearly, even if it's on the easy side. As a mechanically inclined person, I find the logic behind some repairs simpler than other, less mechanical types of people. But to those who are in need, this will help.

And if you have any LED bulb related needs, check out www.superbrightleds.com. They have all sorts of stuff in different angles and configurations.
Old 02-22-11 | 08:08 PM
BLKELGESCT
Driver School Candidate

Thank you, it looks like my thoughts were correct in replacing the bulbs. This is very benificial information
Old 02-14-13 | 03:34 PM
kpgray
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by drewkaree
Even the most experienced mechanic in the entire world had to start at some point, and not everyone is at the same skill level you believe YOU are at. Assuming someone "has no business touching a car" if they don't know the simplest of procedures (to you, anyway) is to deny a potential windfall of information from such a person when they endeavor to tackle such "simple" problems themselves and start learning how to work on cars.

I pulled the engine on an '88 Prelude before I had ever changed the oil in a car that I owned. I had to LEARN how to change the oil in my car. I would have been such a person you assumed "had no business touching a car" if all you knew was that I didn't know how to change the oil in one, yet I was able to follow simple directions in a book to perform far more major tasks.

Be careful what you proclaim as your gospel.
Well said, drewkaree!!
Old 02-14-13 | 03:40 PM
kpgray
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the great DIY and pics on your post. It gave me an idea of how to proceed.
However, one item that caused me problems was your step #6. I struggled for quite some time trying to be able to release the white clips only to find out that they do NOT need to be removed. After removing the screws, I merely pushed the wiring harness through the hole which loosened the light assembly and then pulled the assembly straight out. The white clips only hold the pins on the light assembly in place. There's no need to remove the clips from the vehicle.
Old 08-18-13 | 10:01 AM
jcp2k
Rookie

I changed the bulbs right now and they still don't come on when I hit the breaks. I don't know what it could be help?
Old 10-06-13 | 04:46 PM
Bill Dowd
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bill Dowd
Neofat,
I figured how to replace my tail lights and did them all BUT DO YOU KNOW IF ANYONE MAKES A LED REPLACEMENT LIGHT THE BULBS IN OUR LEXUS ARE PUT IN AT AN ANGLE Making it hard to use a standard led bulb or does some out there make a bulb for the lexus. Also thanks for the information on the person here in California who repairs the speedometers for the lexus. One other thing where can a person buy a clear turning signal for the front of the 1990 to 1995 lexus. Thanks for the help Bill.
[COLOR="Black"] [B]I CAME ACCROSS THIS COMPANY IN HERE IN ORANGE COUNTY CA DDM TUNNING IN ORANGE COUNTY AND SAN DIEGO THEY NOW SELL BRIGHT LED BULBS FOR THE 1991 LEXUS LS 400 PART 1157-23XSG30 COST $10.00 EACH AND MAKE SURE TO USE THE RED LED'S NOT WHITE. I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR 5-6 YEARS AND THESE REALLY WORK GREAT.
Old 04-08-14 | 09:04 PM
Kram
Rookie

the LS400 has a light out check lamp on the dash and a led draws very little power and maybe an led would cause the lamp out to active,just talking out loud. And I thank everyone who take time out of their life to try and help club members fix their cars
Old 04-08-14 | 09:10 PM
Yamae

Originally Posted by Kram
the LS400 has a light out check lamp on the dash and a led draws very little power and maybe an led would cause the lamp out to active,just talking out loud.
A little modification on the sensor board can deal with it and you don't need to talk out loud.
Old 04-09-14 | 11:59 AM
Dubbayoo
Intermediate

I need to change my bulbs too....thanks for the howto.