LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Exhaust that sounds like an m5's exhaust in my ls400, is it a possibility?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-08, 09:36 AM
Rocan
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by haulin79
Headers will help the sound too...and you'll get more power.
Equal length would be ideal but anything is better than the stock ones.
and with a light foot more MPG, as discussed in another thread.
Old 03-31-08, 06:19 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

have a muffler shop cut out the center mufflers and under the car and replace with straight pipes. leave the rear mufflers alone. it addsa nice low v8 burble on acceleration but nice and quiet at cruise.
Old 03-31-08, 08:49 PM
hobojoe
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
wont make a difference, m5 has a very different characteristic, both in header/collecter, then in piping, and most notably the WHOLE DAMN ENGINE.

the 1UZ is by nature a very "lazy" motor, in stock form is only really useful up to about 6500rpm. the M5 revs up past 8000rpm and more importantly, has the valvetrain and cam setup to allow it to get there damned fast.

the 1uz sounds more like a musclecar than rev-happy german...
LMAO, so true though
Old 03-31-08, 08:57 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

The 1UZFE sounds like a muscle car -- like a choked muscle car. I love its sound. It resembles a short block ford 302ci, in sound. Very pleasant.

Trying to get an M5 sound out of this would be a disgrace to the engine itself and car _- But you can do your best I suppose, but I don't see how it can be done. You are limited to the engines major tone -- You can only tweak that so much.

I would embellish what sound the engine already makes instead of trying to cover and alter it into something its not.

I'm not for loud on the LS 400 -- but with that said, I bet some Flowmaster III's would sound lovely. Triple chamber or better.. that muffle more.

Also, the standard flowmaster would make it sound like a beast. Some people like that sound, and it would sound like a mustang coming down the street , quite literally.

The 1UZ engine is one of the best V8's ever built, and the sound is very smooth.
Old 03-31-08, 09:02 PM
1995LS400
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Neofate
Also, the standard flowmaster would make it sound like a beast. Some people like that sound, and it would sound like a mustang coming down the street , quite literally.
Would this "little" 4.0L small block actually produce as much sound as a Mustang with the base model Flowmaster's? If so I might have to look into this.
Old 03-31-08, 09:37 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1995LS400
Would this "little" 4.0L small block actually produce as much sound as a Mustang with the base model Flowmaster's? If so I might have to look into this.
Sound volume,.. no. But I think you would be happy with the results. The LS 400 is a bit smaller, but not much than the 302. So it has a slightly weaker tone,.. but very simliar. The horsepower is actually higher than the 5.0 's were.

The sound is muffled quite a bit in the LS 400 because of the Cat's, Y pipe and so on. It has to go through three 'containers' before exiting -- Which contains the sound. (Which, coincidentally, is a feature of the design not a flaw)

If you added flowmasters standard, most agressive mufflers you would have a significant increase in sound, and a good sound it would be (you would just have to be prepared for the X RPM drone on the highway).

To make it sound closer to your hopes,.. you would need to remove some of that restriction. An offroad Y pipe/X pipe would do wonders.

Here is a picture of the underside of the LS 400 -- To give you an example of what it has to go through.

I'd go with mufflers first to see what the sound is like -- Then if you want louder and less restriction I would put in a complete Cat-back system, with new piping , X pipe (offroad) and so forth. Now with that setup you won't pass emissions, so if you live in an emissions testing state/area don't do it

I love the sound you are thinking about, but to have it eminating from a Luxury Sedan seems a bit weird to me hehe

Last edited by Neofate; 03-31-08 at 09:41 PM.
Old 03-31-08, 09:39 PM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Why are you trying to make an LS400 sound like a Mustang? Go trade in your LS400 and buy a Mustang if that's what you want. You're never going to get the same sound, nor will you get the sound of an M5.
Old 03-31-08, 09:46 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Sman is right -- Just like I expressed earlier,.. you can only 'tweak' the sound of the engine. But this engine sounds like a Mustang, (muscle car) -- I am very familiar with the 302/5liter engine and why it sounds the way it does. This V8 is VERY similar to that sound, although considerably quieter of course. So you can accenuate this sound, which would make it sound 'close' to a Mustang(ish). I am not trying to make you think it will be identical, but that is a the closest comparison engine sound I can come up with in my mind.

I think the best you could do, would equal the stock sound of a 5.0 HO.

Throw in 2 1/4" piping, X pipe, Flowmasters and it will sound like, well, a muscle car. Rofl.

People will probably laugh =)

I'm curious, what are you after?

It sounds like you are just after volume, a distinguised sound. As is the LS hides its exhaust fingerprint, on purpose.

Are you just trying to basically get some sound out of it?
Old 03-31-08, 09:53 PM
1995LS400
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sonyman
Why are you trying to make an LS400 sound like a Mustang? Go trade in your LS400 and buy a Mustang if that's what you want. You're never going to get the same sound, nor will you get the sound of an M5.
I am not the OP, Im just giving my opinion on some of the replies to Neo who brought up the "mustang" sound.
Old 03-31-08, 09:54 PM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

I am not the OP, Im just giving my opinion on some of the replies to Neo who brought up the "mustang" sound.
I am well aware. I suppose I could have broken my reply up into 2 paragraphs.
Old 03-31-08, 10:00 PM
1995LS400
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sonyman
I am well aware. I suppose I could have broken my reply up into 2 paragraphs.
That would have been nice of you, jk.
Old 03-31-08, 11:00 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Sonyman, nice? Hah -- He's about as blunt as Puredrifter is..

I'd like to hear an LS with flowmasters, but not on my LS ..
Old 04-01-08, 04:15 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

neofate, i agree, the LS does sound very similar to a 302. with my first LS back in 2000, i had removed all mufflers except the center single and ran resonated tips. it sounded very very much like a 302 but still not as loud.

on my current one i just made a true dual and kept only the rear mufflers stock. still sounds like a mustang, but with stock mufflers not flowmasters. at cruise i'ts still silent though, so that's nice...
Old 04-01-08, 06:16 AM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Interesting, I wonder what it would sound like with a true dual setup like yours with Borla or even FlowMaster 3 chambers. Since with the single center alone it wasn't as loud as a mustang, 3 chambers would tone it down more but give it that raspy sound.. and it sounds like drone isn't a problem with this setup.
Old 04-01-08, 06:29 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

yeah iw as considering the flowmaster route, but i really need polished stainless mufflers out back to complete the look i'm after. that's one of my next purchases, some new mufflers.

Quick Reply: Exhaust that sounds like an m5's exhaust in my ls400, is it a possibility?