LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

90-92 vs 93-94 Lights.. question.

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-08, 01:15 AM
omarg
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i use a 3m rubbing compound from wal mart. Its like $6.98 or sumthin. i use an orbital polisher too. works wonders. I love rubbing compound, its like magic.

you can find it in the automotive Isle near the touch up paints. Usually under.

dont get the one with wax, its mor expensive and doesnt work nearly as good.
Old 04-01-08, 01:55 AM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

So 3M rubbing compound for my windows? -- What speed do you put your Polisher on?
Old 04-01-08, 05:13 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

use some vinegar and water
Old 04-01-08, 05:43 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Neo, don't use polisher on your glass. The best way to remove water spots from glass, is to buy the special water spot remover from CR Laurence company - they are a major supplier for glazing and auto glass industry.

This is the product that you want:
http://www.crlaurence.com/ProductPag...9.html?Origin=

It works amazing. I even used it on etched glass that was severely stained, and it cleaned up perfect. The only thing you have to wear gloves and a respirator while using it, its a strong acid based product. You local auto glass stores might have it.
Old 04-01-08, 06:13 AM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

I haven't used polish on my glass - -But I did order some specific glass reconditioner that is meant for water etchings, scratches and so on. It is designed to work by hand, or by low speed DA/Rotary application. I think it will work well.

Thanks for the tip if this doesn't work.
Old 04-01-08, 08:14 AM
sonyman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Neofate
Checked Carson --

And it has two parts.

It has From 92, and to 92.

Indicating 90-92, and 92-94

When choosing 94 LS 400, it has the From 92 listed, and the To 92 as 'no items were found in this category'.

Would make me believe there are, indeed, two different numbers.

Checking part numbers now.

Here is the link, though it might not work unless you are signed in.

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...layCatalogid=0

Here is what I found on the part numbers:
Your terminology was wrong. If you had said the corner lamp I could have told you they were different. The sidemarkers are part of the turn signals.
Old 04-01-08, 09:00 AM
omarg
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Neofate
I haven't used polish on my glass - -But I did order some specific glass reconditioner that is meant for water etchings, scratches and so on. It is designed to work by hand, or by low speed DA/Rotary application. I think it will work well.

Thanks for the tip if this doesn't work.
sorry for the weird advice. It just what i do. I was too lazy to order a specific cleaner.

Although, since i'm lazy if its any good let me know the specific product.

BTW i use rubbing compound for everything polishable. It got rid of all the scratch marks on my wood(hehehe) and it does wonders for plastics. All my turn signals and tail lights look new.
Old 04-02-08, 12:27 AM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by omarg
sorry for the weird advice. It just what i do. I was too lazy to order a specific cleaner.
I appreciate advice of any kind. There isn't one way to do anything.. If general rubbing compound is an all n one for you, then great. They are all varying designs and agressions of the same idea.

Although, since i'm lazy if its any good let me know the specific product.
lol -- Just since your lazy , I will let you know how it turns out , and what the product is specifically.

BTW i use rubbing compound for everything polishable. It got rid of all the scratch marks on my wood(hehehe) and it does wonders for plastics. All my turn signals and tail lights look new.

I've got to polish my wood.. -- Seriuosly,.. the trim by the shifter has a million hairline scratches you can't feel, but can see. I am going to see if I can't take that piece completely out of the car and polish it with the DA and maybe that glass conditioner. I'll figure something out.

As for lights, signals, and so on, I hand polished them and they look great. I will use the DA on them soon to get a little extra out of them.

Thanks again
Old 04-02-08, 07:47 AM
omarg
Lead Lap

shifter trim pops right out.

Old 04-02-08, 07:49 AM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah I didn't have to pull it off when I installed the headunit -- I figured it would come right out.

See how in the first picture with the light how his is all scratched up? That is how mine is. Those are just surface marring though, nothing deep -- So it will come out with 'something'.
Old 04-02-08, 07:51 AM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Have another question. I have a leather guy who will repair my steering wheel (some wear on the factory leather) -- and my shift ****, again a hole that has almost worn through the leather on the right hand side. Whoever drove it before must have rested their hand on that spot like it was a 5-speed, because it seems odd to have wear there.

Anyhow, I told him I could get the shifter out completely,.. (I'm fairly sure I can) -- Just want to ask you guys.. I know it comes out easily.. but on the wiring does it unclip? Or am I going to have to snip the wires and then resplice them?

Thanks
Old 04-02-08, 08:23 AM
omarg
Lead Lap

i re spliced, i couldnt find the clips. I tried and tried. Maybe you'll have better luck, i get impatient. doesnt really make a difference though. It's only the OD off button.

how much to repair the steering? my mom's has a strange worn part on the steering. I'll take pics when i get a chance.
Old 04-02-08, 09:15 AM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Your in GA, so it might be feasible for you guys to meet. He travels alot. He might come to you.

Anyhow, he is going to do the Shifter **** and steering wheel for a flat $50 for me. Though I paid $115 for some other work recently, so that might have directed a little better deal.

Keep in mind this isn't going to be a perfect fix, but it will look ALOT better.

He mixes the dye exact to your color on the spot. He will fill in the worn areas, and then dye it -- He uses texture if needed as well. He's quick, and has good results, and prices are reasonable imo.

He works out of his van, but he prefers to have an outlet for his tools.. though he can work out of the inverter I think.

Let me know if you want his contact information.