LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Leaking windshield!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-08, 07:19 PM
91LS400LEX
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Leaking windshield!

Posted this on LOC... thought I would get some input here as well...

Well, we typically get alot of rain. Two weeks ago, I noticed a wet spot on the front of the passenger front seat, on the seat cover I have installed. I discounted it as something my mother had spilled on the seat the day before. It rained after that a few times and I even washed the car and never noticed any water leaking on the seat... until this morning!

I saw another fresh wet spot on the front right hand side of the front passenger seat! I felt of it and it was water for sure. I looked above the spot and seen NO drips anywhere... everything looked dry. Frustrated, I said heck with it, got back in the driverseat to leave and noticed another drip out of the corner of my eye. I ran my finger up along the top of the windshield between the headliner and top of the windshield and it was wet! SO... I found my leak. Now I have to figure out what to do. I guess all I can do is take it to a glass shop and have the window removed and resealed? I want to get this leak fixed asap, because I do not want to ruin my interior. Its really frustrating because I have been trying to use this extra money I am saving for a coolant sensor, engine mounts and transmission mount... now this happens. Last thing I needed to happen. I do not think the window is original, because the black circular lines on the sides looks misaligned and I do not see "Toyota/Lexus" anywhere on the glass, so obviously they did not reseal it properly. Also, it looks like they had cut part of of the a-pillar trim on the lower part of it.

Any ideas of how much this will probably cost me? I will call around tomorrow for some estimates. Knowing my luck they will break the glass getting it out. Has anyone else ever had the leak in this area? I do not think its the sunroof leaking and overflowing, because the headliner is dry all around that area.... I cannot afford to replace this and that, I am not a wealthy person in the money department and really do not know why I even bought another old Lexus (knowing how $ they could be to maintain), but I bought this car in good faith and was not aware of it needing the engine mounts (and possible tranny mount)- now this happens. Maybe someday I will win the lotto and be able to buy an 08' LS. Also, I now think I need new tie-rod ends or ball joints, because I have some play in the steering and on two occasions, on certain bumps, I have got a "clanging" noise from the steering wheel, like something is loose... I assume the above mentioned is due to one of those.

Any advice appreciated. BTW - its a 1991 LS400 (not my old 90' LS in the photo to the left)
Old 04-04-08, 08:15 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

actually its most likely not the windshield but the drain tubes for the sunroof are clogged.

search on it, i remember there being a post on clearing them out.
Old 04-04-08, 10:03 PM
91LS400LEX
Lead Lap

Thanks. I will see what I can find out.
Old 04-04-08, 10:14 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

You can also test it with a hose, carefully.. to see if it drains. A little more water won't hurt to verify PD's idea.

Also -- Don't be so pessimistic about things -- It is an old car,.. but motor and tranny mounts are very minor and aren't something that wore out prematurely. Any 17-18yr old vehicle is going to need new motor and tranny mounts. These are 'relatively' cheap, and can be done yourself if you are mechanical, but even if not a mechanic shouldn't charge you much. Take it to an indie, not lexus for this -- Its a simple job. It isn't a 40$ oil change, but it shouldn't run you more than $300 installed.

These are insanely reliable cars,.. but they aren't maintenance free for life -- You get alot more than you pay for when you buy one of these over a decade old,.. but you still have to keep something back for maintenance.

The suspension things you mention aren't 'must do's' they can be done whenever you have the extra cash,.. you can live with a little 'clang' intermittently over bumps, it isn't going to hurt anything. Likely you could use new shocks, struts, bushings, the whole ordeal - But you don't 'need' them for the car to be reliable.

Anyhow -- I know how it is to have an unexpected thing occur, it ruins your day and gives you a sick feeling. Don't worry, you'll get this taken care of, and it will be better than it was before =)
Old 04-06-08, 09:52 PM
91LS400LEX
Lead Lap

Thanks. I know and I love this car... I just wish I could get the things fixed that needs it. I hate to do the ball-joints now, or tie-rods, because there is no clunking yet, which is something that my old 90' LS did profusely. It just did that clang twice, which annoys me, but I can live with it.. at least it only does it once every two months... lol. My old 2000 Toyota Tundra did the same thing, when I would hit a "offset" sharp bump, or RR tracks, despite tight steering. No idea what was going on there and it only had 99K miles. Like you said, my car is 1991 and 210K miles... it could be alot worse.. other than this, the car is perfect- still not one squeak or rattle.

Anyway, I washed the car today and sprayed water all over the sunroof and windshield and it never leaked. Dont you love that?

I got home and opened the sunroof and seen what I think are the drains... does not appear to be obstructed at the openings, but could possibly be clogged in the drain tubes? I wonder what the best way to clean them out is? Weed trimmer line?

Originally Posted by Neofate
You can also test it with a hose, carefully.. to see if it drains. A little more water won't hurt to verify PD's idea.

Also -- Don't be so pessimistic about things -- It is an old car,.. but motor and tranny mounts are very minor and aren't something that wore out prematurely. Any 17-18yr old vehicle is going to need new motor and tranny mounts. These are 'relatively' cheap, and can be done yourself if you are mechanical, but even if not a mechanic shouldn't charge you much. Take it to an indie, not lexus for this -- Its a simple job. It isn't a 40$ oil change, but it shouldn't run you more than $300 installed.

These are insanely reliable cars,.. but they aren't maintenance free for life -- You get alot more than you pay for when you buy one of these over a decade old,.. but you still have to keep something back for maintenance.

The suspension things you mention aren't 'must do's' they can be done whenever you have the extra cash,.. you can live with a little 'clang' intermittently over bumps, it isn't going to hurt anything. Likely you could use new shocks, struts, bushings, the whole ordeal - But you don't 'need' them for the car to be reliable.

Anyhow -- I know how it is to have an unexpected thing occur, it ruins your day and gives you a sick feeling. Don't worry, you'll get this taken care of, and it will be better than it was before =)
Old 04-07-08, 06:11 AM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

Of course it won't leak when you want it to.. hrmm.

For clearing the tubes I'd try some pressurized air first.

On the GS's, I know the drain tubes snake from the roof back into the trunk.. One on each side. So if its like that in the LS that would be one way to get to the other 'end' of it. But how likely is it that the LS is designed the same way.. (no clue).

Also, it very well could still be your windshield.. It could be a heat expansion/contraction type of thing with the temperature/weather.

Just keep experimenting I suppose, all you can do -- Unless you want to hand it over to the dealer for who knows how much $$.
Old 04-07-08, 06:42 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

more than likely it will be your sunroof drainage causing the problem. compressed air if you have access is the easiest and best way.
Old 04-08-08, 09:12 PM
91LS400LEX
Lead Lap

Thanks... should I just use one of those cans of air like you use to clean keyboards with?
Old 04-09-08, 08:18 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

that's not going to be enough air pressure. you'll need an air compressor like a shop uses, or at least a small home garage type. then take an air nozzle with a trigger and a piece of small hose on the end. shove it into the drains and let it rip. don't go full pressure though, it coudl rip the drain line before it clears the clog.
Old 04-09-08, 02:57 PM
Neofate
Lexus Test Driver

19psi is right, he knows about psi , no?

Also it wouldn't hurt to try a 5+hp Shopvac.. Most have a reverse ability to blow through the exhaust port..
Old 04-10-08, 05:34 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

it's all about the psi!
Old 04-10-08, 07:03 AM
Lexushead
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same problem and maybe the same spot as well. My last two drive thru car washes had the same leak in the same spot; right on top of the passenger seat was where the water flow to. I mean flow not just drip. I think it leaking at the rinse cycle. I guess I only was the car twice this Winter.