LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Transmission fluid, draining & flushing (The Mother thread)

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-07, 08:04 PM
GKLCPA
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are two things I need to be able to do a lot of stuff myself on my Lex; time and knowledge. This board and other sources can provide the knowledge, but my time is always in short supply and if I have leisure time, I prefer to be doing something else, like driving my LS! So I'll gladly pay for someone else who knows what they're doing to work on my car. I will definitely shop price however. I had my trans fluid changed for about the same price at my local toyota dealer. That money just bought peace of mind...

Originally Posted by LexChamp
$160.00, bro, I think you did get ripped off. I just bought the transmission filter at Advance Auto Part for $38.00. If you check out the LexLS Tutorial on changing the Trans filter you can see is a pretty easy job. You can do it yourself or have a mechanic do it for less than fifty dollars.

I just cleaned power steering Solenoid and changed one of the O2 Sensors for 30 dollars. I Showed the mechanic the LexLS tutorial and he went from there. Everyhting took lass than an hour. I think we spent more time viewing the tutorials to make sure we knew what we were doing.

A lot of the maintanance can be done by a local mechanic, however, that is if you trust your mechanic to do it and if you dont mind getting a litte dirty yourself.
Old 06-24-07, 05:32 PM
hobojoe
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tranny Fluid Question

ive owned my ls since april and have a question for all of you or more like what do you think typa thing. i found out that the transmission fluid has not been changed ever! 144000 miles w/o a flush. and i dont know what to do. the guy i bought it from told me when he took it to his shop the mechanic whom im friends with also said not to change it becuase the tranny might not last with new fluid but then again if i dont change it the tranny is more likely to go. so what do you all think?

Thanks.
Old 06-24-07, 05:48 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

take it to a dealer and have them flush it out.

only use Toyota T-IV fluid, not cheap but the car wont run well (if at all) with any other regular type of fluid. iirc tho Amsoil has the only fluid which is SUPPOSED to work in place of the Type-IV. dbl check that tho.
Old 06-24-07, 05:58 PM
hobojoe
Lead Lap

but whats the probabilty of the tranny not liking the new Fluid?
Old 06-24-07, 06:32 PM
Heepspo
Rookie

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
no, there is a screen that you COULD clean out but ud have to drop the whole trans. pan.

and the 2qts is only a drain and fill, you'll need approx 8-15 if u want to flush.

make sure to use only Toyota T-IV transmission fluid, nothing else will work properly.
By "flush" do you mean dropping the pan, and simply pouring 8-15 quarts of fluid through the filler hole and letting it run out the bottom?

I'm still amazed that only 2 quarts are needed for a drain and refill. I have a Pathfinder that's over 9!
Old 06-24-07, 06:38 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by Heepspo
By "flush" do you mean dropping the pan, and simply pouring 8-15 quarts of fluid through the filler hole and letting it run out the bottom?

I'm still amazed that only 2 quarts are needed for a drain and refill. I have a Pathfinder that's over 9!
a full flush includes flushing the 10+qts of fluid that are in the TC, which dont come out with a regular drain+fill
Old 06-24-07, 06:39 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

0% as long as u use the right fluid.

if anything it should feel hella better with the new fluid, on my old LS it shifted LOADS better when i changed the fluid out completely.
Old 06-24-07, 07:10 PM
Heepspo
Rookie

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
a full flush includes flushing the 10+qts of fluid that are in the TC, which dont come out with a regular drain+fill
Can this be done yourself?

If so, how is it done?

It seems pointless to change out 2 quarts in a drain and refill if there's still 10 quarts in the TC !!!

That'd be like only changing half a quart of oil in your crankcase!
Old 06-24-07, 08:02 PM
hobojoe
Lead Lap

ok very cool
Old 06-24-07, 08:11 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

expensive changing at the dealer?
Old 06-24-07, 08:30 PM
hobojoe
Lead Lap

i dunno i will find out tomorrow and let you know
Old 06-24-07, 08:35 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by Heepspo
Can this be done yourself?

If so, how is it done?

It seems pointless to change out 2 quarts in a drain and refill if there's still 10 quarts in the TC !!!

That'd be like only changing half a quart of oil in your crankcase!
http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/trans...ransflush.html

total cap. for a 1LS is ~8.3L.

basically u drain+fill then run it for a while to circulate the fluid then repeat.
keep doing that until fluid comes out red. normally u need around 10-12 and maybe even 14L of fluid.
Old 06-25-07, 06:59 AM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

FOr price comparison I bought my ATF at wholesale price at the dealer and paid $80 to get it flushed.
Old 06-25-07, 08:31 AM
jcolegrove
Driver

you guys are nuts! don't try so hard to spend money!
just read your owner's manual- it states the type of fluid it needs. simple ATF. and do NOT power flush it, which can dislodge particles into the solenoids, etc... just a fluid exchange, which any competent shop (including a decent valvoline shop) can do for $80. there is no truth or logic in thinking an abused xmission will be hurt with new fluid-- except for the power flushing above.

done mine twice this way- completely fine. it's the fluid the car calls for!

jc
Old 06-25-07, 08:38 AM
jcolegrove
Driver

i'll give the same answer i gave in another post. toyota fluid is NOT needed. read your manual. read the service manual. good quality regular atf is all it needs. and i'm proof, as are thousands of others who've used the stuff.

Quick Reply: Transmission fluid, draining & flushing (The Mother thread)