LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

green fluid

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-08 | 07:49 PM
demonboy
Driver School Candidate

I plan on flushing out my radiator this weekend. I'm glad I read this forum because I know now to get the red coolant instead of the green coolant. But I don't know what difference it will make which one i get.
Old 05-12-08 | 09:29 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Green or Dex-Cool in a Toyota =

Honda Type II will also work, I can get the stuff at cost now. Tempting since the local Toyota dealer now charges list for coolant.
Old 05-13-08 | 05:07 PM
nawls400
Rookie

Oh wow..so don't use the green coolant...cuz that's what s already in mine and has been...ok so the type of coolant I should use is the type Puredrifter just mentioned then? The Toyota Longlife...and since this green stuff is in there, should I do a coolant flush to get it out, or does a dealer/shop gotta do that...unless well I'll check out lexls.com and see if it's on there. I noticed I've been running pretty warm lately though like just above halfway, not sure if that's bad or good, but I'm sure the cooler the better right?
Old 05-13-08 | 07:22 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by nawls400
Oh wow..so don't use the green coolant...cuz that's what s already in mine and has been...ok so the type of coolant I should use is the type Puredrifter just mentioned then? The Toyota Longlife...and since this green stuff is in there, should I do a coolant flush to get it out, or does a dealer/shop gotta do that...unless well I'll check out lexls.com and see if it's on there. I noticed I've been running pretty warm lately though like just above halfway, not sure if that's bad or good, but I'm sure the cooler the better right?
The older green coolant is a high phosphate formula with silicates. Toyota and Honda didn't like the silicates in their cooling systems due to abrasion of the water pump seals.

The new "universal" coolants are based on Dex-Cool which uses sodium neodeconate and 2-EHA which both ingredients Honda and Toyota do not want used due to to risk of plastic parts failure - Ford and Mopar too don't want Dex-Cool since it also attacks head gaskets.
Old 05-15-08 | 09:53 AM
demonboy
Driver School Candidate

It is coolant, but is red coolant better to put in the lexus ls400 instead of the green coolant?
Old 05-15-08 | 11:55 AM
atoyot
Pole Position

in my experience, mixing the coolants is catastrophic. If you mix the toyota red and the auto store green, they will gel up and cause a nice sludge soup. This will lock up your motor for sure.

If anyone decided to not run the red, they should do a complete system flush to ensure all the red is out of the block before switching over.
Old 05-15-08 | 05:19 PM
Greek
Driver School Candidate

NOOB here and my first post in here with a 92 Lexus LS400 I just picked up with 214k miles and running strong! I have a problem too with a slight coolant leak that I can't find where it's coming from. I just notice coolant on the driveway but towards the middle to rear of the engine and not coming from the front where the radiator and hoses are. Could coolant be leaking from somewhere back there or just rolling down on something from the front and leaking at the rear???

Also, I notice the coolant is green and not the red Toyota or whatever coolant you guys are recommending. Where can I buy this red coolant from, only the stealership???

Thanks for your help!

-Jimmy
Old 05-15-08 | 06:54 PM
atoyot
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Greek
Where can I buy this red coolant from, only the stealership???

Thanks for your help!

-Jimmy

Yep. as far as i know
Old 05-15-08 | 09:50 PM
nawls400
Rookie

uh oh...I didn't flush I just drained...and one more thing...I got red coolant from the store and from the sounds of it...it's still not the right type then??? ughhhhh this really sux. I wish I woulda known that a day earlier.
Old 05-15-08 | 11:41 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug
CL Folding 100000

you prolly bought dexcool, in which case you NEED TO SWAP IT OUT ASAP!

toyota LongLife Coolant is only found at toyota dealers. if using aftermarket, make sure it says its a direct replacement.
Old 05-16-08 | 08:37 AM
Greek
Driver School Candidate

Ok, so off to the stealer I go for red coolant...Is it any cheaper at Toyota instead of Lexus???
Old 05-16-08 | 04:04 PM
nawls400
Rookie

Thumbs down

Yes! The price was $20 at Toyota, and $40 at Lexus (for me at least...not sure if prices vary anywhere else...but still it was half the price) haha hopefully the process will be 10 times easier this time for me too.
Old 05-16-08 | 09:14 PM
atoyot
Pole Position

check out this web page for pics of toyota red and a green coolant mixed together.

http://www.padandwheels.com/mr2/waterpump/coolant.html
Old 05-17-08 | 02:50 PM
Greek
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by atoyot
check out this web page for pics of toyota red and a green coolant mixed together.

http://www.padandwheels.com/mr2/waterpump/coolant.html
Wow...that's a lot of work...I guess that's what I need to do next...thanks...
Old 05-17-08 | 08:22 PM
atoyot
Pole Position

does anyone have FSM (Factory Service Manual) for these motors? Do these motors have a block drain for coolant? IF so, don't forget to drain it as well when you are flushing your coolant system.

Quick Reply: green fluid