LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Is a 1st Gen Lexus LS400 Competitive???

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-02, 10:06 PM
CELSIOR KID
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Is a 1st Gen Lexus LS400 Competitive???

im just wondering if 1st Gen Lexus LS400 could compete against Mustangs, Camaros, Preludes, Integras, Celicas, etc. I know they dont sell a wide variety of parts for the car but im just looking for something that will give it ALOT more horsepower. I knoits a luxary cruiser, but u gotta admit, it has ALOT of potential. If i cant find tat immediat horsepwer, im still willing tomake it fast.

Does anyone have an estimation for the aount of mulah it would take to outpreform these *****................(i can already outperform alot of them stock)
Old 02-09-02, 07:11 AM
CELSIOR KID
Driver School Candidate

thanks epk, youve been a big help.
also, if anybody could give me insight on this subject, please feel free to.
Old 02-09-02, 12:35 PM
fusi0n 1er
Rookie

the 1st gen lexus ls 400 is a VERY HEAVY car...... and next to the 5.0 mustangs well...... there's no comparison....i tryed to race an expedition and it beat me by about 5 feet
Old 02-09-02, 01:32 PM
1994 LS400
Driver

Default Raced a Mercedes ML320 totally stock

Hey ~
Well I am happy with my LS I raced my friend in her 2000 Mercedes ML-320 (M-Class) I stopped at 120 mph (I mean of course I was able to exceed 120 but did not want to push it) well I beat her to our finish line , and I showed her a thing or two about my she says old 1994 but I have always been happy with the acceleration / preformance with my LS, anyone else have a raceing story ?
Happy Lexus Owner,
Paul

Last edited by 1994 LS400; 02-09-02 at 01:35 PM.
Old 02-09-02, 03:42 PM
Lvangundy

Last night I saw a guy in a 2001/02 mitsu eclipse RS and we raced for about 1/4 mile. I could keep up with him, but it was hard to tell who would have won from 0 mph to a finish.
Old 02-10-02, 12:30 AM
Giro
I am banned.

high lift cams will give the 1uz-fe big hp gains. Also if you are concered with the smoothness of the engine being lost it will be but in its place will be more power. I did notice a thead a while back that went overlooked by most but here is a link to it http://www.netglobalcenter.com/forum...threadid=31935 It says that 1st gen 1uz-fe's get an additonal 50hp gain with just a moddified exhuast cam to a .300 this will not ruin any smoothness but if your going to mod the cams you might as well do it right .380intake and a .561 exhaust should give it a nice clicking sound at idle . Up untill 98 mustang gt\v8's had 225hp so a ls should have no problem walking a stock pre99 mustang gt from a 70mph roll. If you know how to launch the ls400 well you could likely beat it in a from 0 race also. If your ls can't drop a powerfull 154hp eclipse rs it needs some serious maintenance. A good place to start would be a compression test, new sparkplugs, and air filter.
Old 02-11-02, 08:41 AM
tacshose
Rookie

Anyone have an idea of what it would cost to try this interesting idea out... I wonder why noone paid attention to that post, because that would be a cool book to see...
Old 02-11-02, 01:46 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Torque Converter, ECU, intake, exhausts and LS gets extrimely competitive. I suggest you change out your shock and springs to aftermarket ones and lower the car too.
Old 02-11-02, 04:19 PM
CELSIOR KID
Driver School Candidate

You guys have outdone yourselves........................this information is great!

thanks!
Old 02-11-02, 07:24 PM
Lvangundy

I beg to differ with the guy who posted a reply saying that 'if you know how to drive an LS correctly' you can beat a mustang or an eclipse. How can you drive a automatic transmission anyway better and safer (for the trans) to beat a mustang or an eclipse by anyother way except putting your foot on the gas? starting in '2' and upshifting to 'D' isn't exactly good for the transmission. -Neither is racing...;-) ;-)

So if you know a way I can beat a mustang or eclipse (or my friends integra) by driving by LS 'better' please let me know.
Old 02-11-02, 09:39 PM
LSPiNoY
Lead Lap

YES......U CAN beat an Eclipse.....for the Mustang!? well it depends on the type of car. believe it or not IT DOES matter how the drivers drive. the other guy might not want to push as hard as you. driving an LS 400, you will not be able to take on smaller cars in short distances. BUT as soon as you hit 50 mph, you'll smoke that eclipse. I DID.

btw, Does it really hurt the car if you shift an automatic? L-2-D??? i mean i shift on time before redlining it.
Old 02-11-02, 10:37 PM
Giro
I am banned.

Notice " If you know how to launch the ls400 well " Which i did not say anything about driving but rather the launch. With automatics you can do what is sometimes called "power breaking" where you put the car into neutral first and rev it up to about 5-6k rpm while you have pressed the brake pedal to the floor, than you let the rpms drop back to idle rpm ( all the while keeping the brake pedal planted as far as possible) than you shift it into drive and rev to about 3k rpm than let go of the brake and take off. The reving is done to give the brake booster an additonal boost for greater holding power of the brakes. "power breaking" is not good for the transmission or the car and should not be used by anyone hopeing to get the longest possible life out of their car.
Old 02-11-02, 11:21 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That strains the Torque Converter right? What if you have an aftermarket one? Power Breaking would not be too bad then.
Old 02-11-02, 11:30 PM
Giro
I am banned.

It also boils the tranny fluid, so a tranny cooler wouldnt hurt either.
Old 02-12-02, 07:12 PM
Marx
Rookie

I know this sounds suspect, but I found a computer simulation program that takes into account everything from horsepower, to gearing, to drag co-ef, to tire size, etc. Its a shareware program but its really very comprehensive.
Anyway, with all the information put in it can tell you alot about your (simulated) car.
It tells me the first gen LS400 can do the 1/4 mile and zero to 60 best if launched at 3900 RPM. Just thought I'ld put in my 2 cents.

Quick Reply: Is a 1st Gen Lexus LS400 Competitive???