LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

HHO Gas? Burn Water? Increase Gas Mileage Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-08, 05:37 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

if it is that simple how is it at all different from water/meth injection
Old 09-29-08, 09:28 PM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
if it is that simple how is it at all different from water/meth injection
You could go that route too. Care to check on that for us?
Old 09-30-08, 07:53 AM
atoyot
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i never said water/vapor was bad for your engine. I said tricking your computer and sensors into running in a lean condition is.
Old 09-30-08, 08:24 AM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by atoyot
i never said water/vapor was bad for your engine. I said tricking your computer and sensors into running in a lean condition is.
True, there is a piggyback current module that adds voltage to the O2 sensor forcing the ECU to cut back on the injectors allowing the car to use less gas.

If the engine was running lean the temperature variance will be evident. That's why I also plan to use a laser infrared thermometer to measure this after the install of the HHO.

BTW, you never did that hydrogen experiment in high school? We did and trust me, if properly setup an HHO system will make volatile hydrogen gas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGR9JNH90_4

Last edited by avalon42; 09-30-08 at 08:28 AM.
Old 09-30-08, 12:28 PM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if all it's doing is makign the 02 sensor send a rich signal to the ecu thereby cutting back ipw, then this is stupid. i don't want my car running lean, i want it running right.
Old 09-30-08, 12:55 PM
atoyot
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by avalon42
True, there is a piggyback current module that adds voltage to the O2 sensor forcing the ECU to cut back on the injectors allowing the car to use less gas.

If the engine was running lean the temperature variance will be evident. That's why I also plan to use a laser infrared thermometer to measure this after the install of the HHO.

BTW, you never did that hydrogen experiment in high school? We did and trust me, if properly setup an HHO system will make volatile hydrogen gas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGR9JNH90_4

Nope, can't say i ever did that experiment in High school. Wish i would have, looks cool.

There is some meat on the bone...so to speak in that there is some possibility that the hydrogen gas injected into the intake could cause a more efficient burn in the combustion chamber.

Here is my biggest beef with this thing as i have now seen guys on about 3 different forums trying to sell these....

... if these were really what they were packaged as, why in the heck would the largest car manufacturers in the world who spend millions and millions in R&D not have these installed on their vehicles?
Old 09-30-08, 08:14 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

So since this article ran and i saw many people interested in it i read another article with chemistry physics and real theory not hypothetical it should work theory.
To put it simply , it is a crock of **** these guys re making up.
Can a car run on hydrogen gas alone ,yes.
Can a car run on both hydrogen and gas , yes , but why if one is better than the other ?
Does it have to be modified to run on it , yes , as it is extremely cold and kept under high pressures.
To make an even longer story short it is not economically feasible to create hydrogen in a car. It uses more electrical energy from your alternator to cause the reaction than it produces to move the car.
It takes huge generating stations to make the gas which is usable as a fuel that is going to be cost effective.
So go around with a 100lb tank of water in your back seat ,thinking you are getting better mileage .

Sorry ,i was hoping this dream had some truth as well.
Old 10-02-08, 10:25 AM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by skperformance
So since this article ran and i saw many people interested in it i read another article with chemistry physics and real theory not hypothetical it should work theory.
To put it simply , it is a crock of **** these guys re making up.
Can a car run on hydrogen gas alone ,yes.
Can a car run on both hydrogen and gas , yes , but why if one is better than the other ?
Does it have to be modified to run on it , yes , as it is extremely cold and kept under high pressures.
To make an even longer story short it is not economically feasible to create hydrogen in a car. It uses more electrical energy from your alternator to cause the reaction than it produces to move the car.
It takes huge generating stations to make the gas which is usable as a fuel that is going to be cost effective.
So go around with a 100lb tank of water in your back seat ,thinking you are getting better mileage .

Sorry ,i was hoping this dream had some truth as well.
I'm interested in reading that article you read. Source please?
Old 10-02-08, 04:42 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think it was performance auto and sound as i am still reading a few back issues.
I will have to take a look.
Old 10-02-08, 08:37 PM
DietrichB
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the theory is based on the hydrogen acting as a catalyst to improve the burning efficiencies of the air gas mixture, not the combustive force of the hydrogen and oxygen gases.

If you take a 4 liter engine running at 3000rpm at say 1/3 throttle, you can suppose that engine will draw maybe 6000 liters of air. Adding two liters to that is about the volumetric equivalent of an M&M in a 55 gallon drum (I did the math). Maybe I'm wrong about the 6000 liters, maybe it's less. OK, make it a peanut M&M. That's not much of a boost in BTU's. There's no way to claim the above increases in mileage without serious catalytic mojo going on.

I agree with the above poster, if it can be done the automakers would be doing it. Every automaker has been jumping through hoops for years to reduce fleetwide fuel consumption, because of CAFE standards.

And, if it worked, EVERYBODY would be doing it. These things would be all over the place.

Sound like hooey to me.
Old 10-04-08, 11:06 AM
Baoser
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=383438

There you go.
Old 08-13-11, 09:45 PM
gigapipe2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MoJoMan
Two thing that needs to be said.

1. You are not running the car on Hydrogen. You are supplementing the gasoline with Hydrogen and Oxygen. Many people have built this device and are reporting 20-40% fuel savings. I doubt it would hurt the cylinders like pure Hydrogen since it's such a small mix.

2. The link you provide talks about a different subject/product. That system costs over $1000 to purchase. I will be acheiving my results for about $100 and making the unit from scratch myself. In any case, the thread you reference is full of the usual negative people many who are clueless as to the entire process. The guy testing the device got so bumed out at these turkeys that he quit posting his results although I think he'll be back.

The real question is if you add 2 liters per minute of Hydrogen and Oxygen gas to your engine, will it...

really give you better mileage?
draw too many amps?
product too much heat & blowup it gas producing unit?

All of this can be easily overcome.
One thing is for sure, Hydrogen and Oxygen explode.

Well, my cousin wants to build one with me and test it on my old car. I have a 94 Regal LS that I'll probably use. I figure the unit will cost about $100 before it's all said and done. All you need is some stainless steel, plumbing parts, hoses, a relay and the brains to do it. We have all the gauges and testing equipment.

I will keep you guys posted. I'm going out of town for a week on vacation, so hopefully when I get back, my cousin will have the unit built.

I should say here that I personally love tinkering with stuff like this, and we are really doing this for the love of experimentation and not for the actual results. If they occur, we will both be astonished and totally baffled.

Wish us luck.
Did u install the kit yet?
Old 08-13-11, 10:44 PM
emarknot
Pole Position

this is almost 3 years old..chances....it didnt work.

might as well hook an intercooler sprayer on your radiator

it just runs the ecu lean.

lean is ok, but how much and how long .....could have very bad side affects.
Old 08-15-11, 07:11 PM
robert1408
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 19 Posts

News flash: There is no free lunch. There is no cheap way to rip apart water molecules to liberate hydrogen in a constant process yielding enough to power a car. Like the 200mpg carburetor, this one rates a full 5 snake oils. Fuel cells sort of do this. But, like the Chevy Volt, you could have an $18K car with a $20K power system.
Old 08-15-11, 07:29 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Just so you guys know the "theory" is that a small amount of hydrogen gas mixed with the air fuel will "unlock" the wasted energy of that is in the gasoline (gasoline engine only uses 30% or so of the gasoline enenergy the rest is wasted in heat, ect..) Since you are using more energy from the gasoline you can run your car leaner (therefore you have to trick the computer to run your car leaner) and you get better gas mileage without damaging the engine or a loss of power.

What is really happening as that people are running their car very lean at the detriment of there engine and power and overclaiming one tank that they got good gas mileage.

Quick Reply: HHO Gas? Burn Water? Increase Gas Mileage Discussion.