LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

I got a Big problem.. plz help.

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-08, 10:13 AM
1993Ls400s
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I got a Big problem.. plz help.

Hello everyone, i am new to this forum, so far i like this place. lots of good information on here. Well, I am having a problem with my car that i am sure someone on here will know what's going on with it. I am going to describe this the best i can.. Ok First off, the car is a 1993 Ls400 with 113,000 miles. The problem i am having is that when the car is driving and it gets to around 40 to 50 mph or lil higher, or the rpms are at almost 2000 rpm or a little over and under, the car will start bucking severely. if i step on the gas it will stop for a second only to return. i have been driving the car with overdrive off and its not as bad because the rpm's stay at a higher Rev. I can also tell that when idling in park or drive the car is shaking and seems to be stumbling. I just replaced wires and spark plug's and air filter and cleaned maf with maf cleaner, and almost forgot, also replaced throttle position sensor.. The car also has lack of power at low end until the revs go up over 4,000 then the car will pull good. Also seems exhaust has a weird smell to it.. now here is the real weird thing. When i unplug the maf and drive like that, the car runs and drives like new!!?? So i thought it was the maf. i have tried 4 diff mafs and its the same thing! when the maf is plugged in, car runs like garbage, unplugged, runs great. no mechanic can fig this out. ran code check, no codes in computer.. The mechanic said when the maf is unplugged computer goes in default mode and there could be a sensor bad, but what sensor could it be?? there are no codes in the computer! Anyways, sorry for the long post, i hope someone can help me, i haven't had the car long and i love the Ls400! i just want her to run right.. thanks very much in advance to anyone that can help me fix my Ls400!!

Ricky..
Old 06-15-08, 01:22 PM
1993Ls400s
Rookie

I just checked the fuel pump, it is making weird sounds and its pulling nearly 23 volts. is it the pump or the pump ecu? can someone plz tell me where the fuel pump ecu is ? Thanks in advance..
Old 06-15-08, 03:36 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 472 Likes on 362 Posts

Could be a multitude of issues, any error codes?

Tune-up, plugged injector/s, O2 sensors, other sensors, ignition wire, cap, rotor, coil, fuel pump relay, clogged up air filter or fuel filter...

Rather than attempt to do a step by step fix is take the car in and plug it in to get a list of error codes it may be throwing out.
Old 06-16-08, 09:09 PM
1993Ls400s
Rookie

Bought a new fuel pump. still didnt fix problem.. Does this sound like a Ecu problem to you guys?
Old 06-16-08, 11:42 PM
damon
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I damaged my original maf (karmann Vortex meter) while cleaning & had many of the symptoms you describe.

They did not go away until I found a replacement. Did you clean all 4 mafs?

Last edited by damon; 06-17-08 at 02:27 PM.
Old 06-17-08, 02:26 PM
1993Ls400s
Rookie

I only cleaned the original one.
Old 07-10-08, 08:51 PM
1993Ls400s
Rookie

I just found the problem, i am getting no ohm reading at all with the sub oxygen sensor. the one with the connector thats under the passenger floor board. here is the weird thing. even if i unplug the connector i do not get a check engine light!?!?!? The check engine bulb is good. do you all think this means my ecu is busted? thanks please let me know asap so i can find a ecu if need be. Oh and i am going to get aftermarket oxygen sensors, would u all recomend bosh or denso? thnks very much!
Old 07-11-08, 12:59 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The O2 sensors past the cats are there only to keep tabs on the cats.

I'm thinking throttle position sensor or crank/cam sensor issues.

Also, do this:

Find the gray DIAGNOSIS connector on the engine or the driver's footwell, and with the key on but engine off, use a paper clip or a small piece of thin-gauge wire to jumper-wire terminals TE1 and E1 and that should give you the DTCs.
Old 07-11-08, 10:41 AM
1993Ls400s
Rookie

Hello, thanks for the reply. I tried that a couple days ago. no codes were set. I changed the Tps a couple days ago, didnt help a thing i have also put new cam position sensors on and crank sensor. I have spent nearly 1,500$ on this car in the last month or so. i bought it with this problem because the guy that sold it to me told me it was prolly just the maf, i think now maybe it was a mistake. but i thought it was a good deal, a one owner 93 ls400 with 112,000 miles. So is was your saying when i unplug the o2 sensors after the converters there is suppose to be no check engine light correct? also, there is no ohm readings on that sensor. thanks for your help, i am so upset with all this, i appreciate any help i can get. i may just have to break down and take it to the stealer or get rid of the car, i really dont want to do that, i can tell its a very high quality piece of machinery, i have owned quite a few cars and the Ls seems higher quality than even all the mercedes benz models i have owned.

Thanks again...
Old 07-11-08, 11:40 AM
thadword
Driver

Smile

Originally Posted by 1993Ls400s
Hello, thanks for the reply. I tried that a couple days ago. no codes were set. I changed the Tps a couple days ago, didnt help a thing i have also put new cam position sensors on and crank sensor. I have spent nearly 1,500$ on this car in the last month or so. i bought it with this problem because the guy that sold it to me told me it was prolly just the maf, i think now maybe it was a mistake. but i thought it was a good deal, a one owner 93 ls400 with 112,000 miles. So is was your saying when i unplug the o2 sensors after the converters there is suppose to be no check engine light correct? also, there is no ohm readings on that sensor. thanks for your help, i am so upset with all this, i appreciate any help i can get. i may just have to break down and take it to the stealer or get rid of the car, i really dont want to do that, i can tell its a very high quality piece of machinery, i have owned quite a few cars and the Ls seems higher quality than even all the mercedes benz models i have owned.

Thanks again...
Just go to the dealer and get a diag. With all the money you're spending and hoping to find the problem, just nip it in the bud so you can get this issue solved. This is a great car and it's a treat and blessing to own. I'm sure you'll find the problem and be a happily ever after lexus owner!
Old 07-11-08, 12:29 PM
1993Ls400s
Rookie

Yea, i just am worried about spending more money at the dealer because i took it to a shop close by that works on mercedes and lexus, and they hooked it up to a diag machine and it showed nothing the guy said, maybe lexus will have a diff machine they can hook it to or something. One thing i just dont understand is that when i unplug the maf sensor all these problems go away, its so weird..
Old 07-11-08, 12:49 PM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

have you been using a new maf or junkyard?
Old 07-11-08, 12:56 PM
1993Ls400s
Rookie

Hey, I went and bought a refurb one. Before that, tried 3 from the junk yard. Hey i notice you are from louisville, I am In Etown. You know where that is?
Old 07-12-08, 04:57 AM
kc92hatch
Driver School Candidate

Good morning,

Kind of sounds like a fuel/air or ignition problem to me. Attached are a MAF and ignition problem section from my 1997 manual. Probably a little different than your year, but take a read and maybe you will get some ideas.

Also, when you replaced your plug wires, did you use OEM or an aftermarket brand of wires? On another board recently, I read of an owner that used aftermarket wires and they caused all kinds of problems until he replaced them finally with OEM.

With respect to how it runs when unpluging your MAF: When you do this, the computer no longer knows how much air is flowing into the engine. Because of this, it doesn't know how much fuel to inject in order to maintain the correct air/fuel ratio. So it reverts to a safe mode by injecting more fuel than actually needed (you would rather run with too much fuel [rich] than too little fuel [lean]). Perhaps when you get in this mode, by unplugging your MAF, the extra fuel being dumped into the motor is really just hiding your other problem and your MAF isn't malfunctioning at all.

Good luck!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
insp.pdf (17.5 KB, 322 views)
Old 07-12-08, 04:59 AM
kc92hatch
Driver School Candidate

Here is the ignition attachment...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
ovi.pdf (117.5 KB, 1494 views)

Quick Reply: I got a Big problem.. plz help.