LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Smoke at startup - 93 LS 400

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-08, 11:43 PM
RandomHero
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoke at startup - 93 LS 400

Hey guys,

I just recently traded my other vehicle for this car, and so far so good (had it about 3 weeks now).

However this past Saturday I started the car and white smoke pours from the exhaust, but only on startup, not acceleration.

It does it more on a cold start and deminishes slightly as you drive the car around and park it for a few minutes and start it up again.

My thoughts are maybe too much oil from the previous owner, or I've heard stories of fuel not being burned.

Anyone had problems like this with their LS?

Car is as follows:
1993 LS400

I'm not too worried as I have a very reliable mechanic, just wanted to see if this would be an easy fix that I can do myself in my garage.

Thanks in advance guys!
Old 06-18-08, 12:35 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

look into the idle-up valve on the power steering pump leaking fluid into the intake.

its a common issue, look in the power steering bible in this forum
Old 06-18-08, 07:48 AM
dacecil
Rookie

Definitely from the power steering. I recently repaired mine according to the Power Steering Bible on this site. Works perfectly now.

If you don't fix it right away, you will notice you p/s pump howling after a couple of days from the fluid loss. That's a giveaway of the problem.

This is an expensive fix at the dealer, but free (except for time) if you do it yourself.

Dale
Old 06-18-08, 10:30 AM
RandomHero
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dacecil
Definitely from the power steering. I recently repaired mine according to the Power Steering Bible on this site. Works perfectly now.

If you don't fix it right away, you will notice you p/s pump howling after a couple of days from the fluid loss. That's a giveaway of the problem.

This is an expensive fix at the dealer, but free (except for time) if you do it yourself.

Dale
Perfect answer guys...

I'm in the process of actually doing this now. Just took the gloves off and came in for some lunch

I'm going to keep working as I can't seem to get that damn sensors off...ugh!
Old 06-18-08, 11:01 AM
Chilkoot
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it's also possible that if you only take short trips there is condensation building up in your exhaust.

keep an eye on your PS fluid level, but if you aren't losing any then I'd call it steam.
Old 07-10-08, 02:28 PM
xstarsixx
Driver School Candidate

I hate to brake the news, but power steering has nothing to do with white smoke coming from the exaust.
White smoke coming from the exaust is generally due to coolent being burned in the combustion chamber, white smoke actually being steem.
With the millage to said you have on the engine (218k) i am willing to bet you have a blown head gasket. To conferm this, get your coolent system pressure tested cold and hot. If the cooling system loses some pressure over 10-15 mins, and coolent is not leaking anywhere visable, the head gasket is most likely blown.

Last edited by xstarsixx; 07-10-08 at 02:29 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-10-08, 04:20 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by xstarsixx
I hate to brake the news, but power steering has nothing to do with white smoke coming from the exaust.
White smoke coming from the exaust is generally due to coolent being burned in the combustion chamber, white smoke actually being steem.
With the millage to said you have on the engine (218k) i am willing to bet you have a blown head gasket. To conferm this, get your coolent system pressure tested cold and hot. If the cooling system loses some pressure over 10-15 mins, and coolent is not leaking anywhere visable, the head gasket is most likely blown.
i take it that you have never worked on an LS400 (or a 1uz) before....

the 1UZ motor in general VERY VERY RARELY blows headgaskets, and the white smoke is most likely coming from power steering fluid that is being leaking into the intake from the idle-up valve on the power steering pump.. it is a very common problem with a relatively simple fix involving either replacing the valve or blocking off the vacuum ports on the intake and the valve since it is not really needed (SC400's dont have it even).

now how much were you willing to bet that it was a bhg
Old 07-11-08, 02:46 PM
bigste
Driver School Candidate

Puredrifter is 100% right. Take in what is said and it's a cheap fix.
Old 02-18-09, 08:58 PM
aquacasey
Driver School Candidate

Default Smoke in the morning/power steering valve

After talking to many local mechanics and getting crazy prices on pumps and valves my mechanic simply plugged the vacuum lines, they are not needed and I have 0 smoke now, nor have to add fluid..
Old 02-18-09, 10:02 PM
91LS400LEX
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Puredrifter is exactly right.

Headgasket issues on the LS400 are extremely rare. In fact, I have never heard of a LS400 with a bad headgasket, but wow, they all have their share of power steering leaks! Internally and externally.

Condensation "steam" is very common on the LS400, even after its warmed up and not all that cold outside. It has so many mufflers, etc the system seems to steam more than your typical car.... but I know this white smoke that is mentioned and like he said, its usually from the leaking valve on the PS pump. My PS was leaking internally and externally (until I got fed up and poured in Lucas stop leak) and stopped the leak. I had no choice. I was losing tons of fluid and I could not afford a new pump at the time. So far the leak has stopped. I actually am taking the car to a Toyota/Lexus tech that works on these cars. I am going to get him to bypass the PS idle-up valve, then drain that junk out of there and refill with new fluid and see what happens. I know I will still likely have that external leak... maybe its not as bad now though.

Good luck.

Originally Posted by xstarsixx
Originally Posted by PureDrifter
i take it that you have never worked on an LS400 (or a 1uz) before....

the 1UZ motor in general VERY VERY RARELY blows headgaskets, and the white smoke is most likely coming from power steering fluid that is being leaking into the intake from the idle-up valve on the power steering pump.. it is a very common problem with a relatively simple fix involving either replacing the valve or blocking off the vacuum ports on the intake and the valve since it is not really needed (SC400's dont have it even).

now how much were you willing to bet that it was a bhg
Old 02-19-09, 11:09 AM
aquacasey
Driver School Candidate

Default Before you waste time & money!

Originally Posted by aquacasey
After talking to many local mechanics and getting crazy prices on pumps and valves my mechanic simply plugged the vacuum lines, they are not needed and I have 0 smoke now, nor have to add fluid..
Try this it will take 5 minutes and it is easy to do!
Old 02-19-09, 12:11 PM
kidoekid
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im having the same issue, im definitely trying this. Aquacasey, was your LS blowing out clouds of smoke or just small amount? mine only blows out small amount of smoke for start up and goes away eventually...
Old 02-19-09, 12:31 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow,, really not a good way to make an entrance into the forums. Especially since it is a known fact that the white smoke at startup can be caused by the PS fluid leaking into the intake ports.
Old 02-24-09, 07:36 PM
Bill Dowd
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Hello pure drifter, speaking of cars smoking a kid driving a 91 ls400 was smoking up the whole freeway near mission viejo here in so cal. And you could hear the engine knocking so badly it finally exploded with with a noise I have never heard from a car in my life he put the rods clean through the block. I asked why he didn't pull over and stop he just looked at me and said this is my dads car let him worry about it. ONLY IN SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA........

Last edited by Bill Dowd; 02-24-09 at 08:05 PM.
Old 02-24-09, 08:06 PM
Rocan
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Bill Dowd
Hello pure drifter, speaking of cars smoking a kid driving a 91 ls400 was smoking up the whole freeway near mission viejo here in so cal. And you could hear the engine knocking so badly it finally exploded with with a noise i have never heard from a car in my life he put the rods clean through the block.
something musta been SERIOUSLY off...

Quick Reply: Smoke at startup - 93 LS 400