LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

98LS 400 AC Blower Motor Really Need Help Here

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-08, 08:34 AM
Photoinc
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98LS 400 AC Blower Motor Really Need Help Here

I have a 98 LS 400 and the AC fan motor only runs on low......any ideas??
Everything I've read here talks about the resistor and the fan running on high.

Any tips would be very helpful, I've been searching and reading for an hour and have found nothing for my problem.

Thanks,
David
Old 06-26-08, 06:07 AM
Photoinc
Pole Position

So I measured the voltage at the fan motor plug, with the engine on, and no matter what setting I had the fan speed set at both manual and auto, the voltage is 11.9 volts solid.

This leads me to believe the fan motor has had enough.
Old 06-26-08, 11:55 AM
Photoinc
Pole Position

I figured out what my problem was and got it fixed
Old 06-26-08, 12:12 PM
Rocan
Pole Position

next time can you do some investigating before creating a thread?
Old 06-26-08, 12:31 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocan
you, calm down and be civil please.

photoinc, for the benefit of our members please post what the problem was and how you corrected it?
Old 06-26-08, 01:06 PM
Photoinc
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Rocan

Dude.......I've been investigating for three freakin days!!
Old 06-26-08, 02:11 PM
Photoinc
Pole Position

Pure D,

Since you asked nicely.....I'll Share.
First I want to say that I am a little disappointed with the lack of feedback I got here. I ended up PM'ing Grand_LS and he was helping me out as best he could. I've talked to a Lexus mechanic, who said he has never ever heard of this issue in a LS before. I was think I'm the first person in the whole world to have this problem, since nobody was offering up any kind of a suggestion, and I couldn't find ANYTHING about this blower motor.

So here's the fix:
My AC blower motor only ran in low speed no matter what settings I used. Turns out the AC blower motor is tied into the over all Mute system for the phone and the stereo. Last week my stereo sound quit. I could barely hear the music when I cranked the volume all the way up. I did some searching here and discovered a fix by bypassing the phone ECU, and that would bypass the mute system for the car. When I checked out the phone unit in the trunk (passenger side well) I found it full of water, and there were the connectors laying in the water, and they had been doing it for a long time. There were two red wires that were connect, they rusted a part. So rather than re connect the wires I just re plug the main cables to bypass the phone cuz I wanted to take the phone out anyways.
Tuesday I noticed the AC blower would only run on low, so that was the beginning of this new search for answers. I posted here first and waited to see if anybody ever had this problem, but I guess nobody has since I never heard anything.
So today I ripped the glovebox out and started checking all the usual suspects, I even went to Lexus bought a new motor, and blower motor control ($500). They didn't fix it.
So on my way back to Lexus to return the parts, I decided to go back into the trunk, and hook the phone back up, and connect the two rusted red wires, well sure as hell everything is working properly again.
So the Mute system in the car shuts down the stereo, and it lowers the speed of the AC blower motor too. Who would have thought the stereo system and the AC system are connected some way.

So here are two fixes:

If you lose volume in your factory stereo, reconnect the two red wires that rusted out in the puddle of water in the passenger side well of your trunk.

And if your AC blower motor only runs at low speed, check out the cables that are in the puddle of water in the passenger side well of your trunk.

And if you have not had either one of these issues yet, check the passenger side well of your trunk to see if you have a puddle of water down in there with your phone cables wallowing in there, cut the zip ties and rout them up higher in the trunk well, and pop the little rubber plug out to let the water drain.

Hope this helps somebody out.

David
98 LS 400
93 LS 400
Old 06-26-08, 03:56 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

good stuff, thanks
Old 06-28-08, 02:16 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Great info... that indeed makes sense. Glad you got it fixed, because i remember florida's summer's are nothing to miss with.
Old 06-28-08, 07:30 AM
Photoinc
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
Great info... that indeed makes sense. Glad you got it fixed, because i remember florida's summer's are nothing to miss with.
"G"

Thanks for trying to help me out