LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Muffler delete review on 1st gen '91LS in Texas; legal for state inspection?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-08, 06:41 PM
Bradster
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wonder if i should replace the the 2 center resonators with mufflers and delete the rear mufflers or delete the center resonators totally and replace the rear mufflers (magnaflows either way)

Last edited by Bradster; 08-01-08 at 12:29 PM.
Old 08-01-08, 10:45 AM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I first deleted two middle resonators and ran pipe to OEM mufflers - made it a little deeper and louder outside the car.

I then deleted OEM mufflers and added Magnaflows - made it a little more deeper and louder oustide the car.

I then deleted center resonator and ran pipe between OEM Y-Pipes. This made it a little more deeper and louder.

I may eventually run duals with a x-pipe but for now it is fine like it is - sounds great, nothing like a Lexus.

Last edited by steveski; 08-01-08 at 10:49 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-01-08, 08:40 PM
volksnuts
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by steveski
I first deleted two middle resonators and ran pipe to OEM mufflers - made it a little deeper and louder outside the car.

I then deleted OEM mufflers and added Magnaflows - made it a little more deeper and louder oustide the car.

I then deleted center resonator and ran pipe between OEM Y-Pipes. This made it a little more deeper and louder.

I may eventually run duals with a x-pipe but for now it is fine like it is - sounds great, nothing like a Lexus.
I'd like to see you car in person one day
Are you going to the VIP meet later this month?
Old 08-02-08, 07:20 PM
Bradster
Lead Lap

Can someone recommend a Magnaflow model to replace the 2 original stock mufflers?
Old 08-03-08, 04:36 PM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by volksnuts
I'd like to see you car in person one day
Are you going to the VIP meet later this month?
I did not know of this meet. I am in Houston. Can you give me details or send via PM?
Old 08-03-08, 04:39 PM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Bradster
Can someone recommend a Magnaflow model to replace the 2 original stock mufflers?
I ended up selecting the Magnaflow 14225 set to replace my OEM mufflers. I had to buy separate tips because I wanted to mount the mufflers as high as possible.

They make others that have integrated tips however they must be mounted lower. There are hook things in the way that prevents them from being mounted high. If you look under the car you will see.
Old 08-03-08, 10:07 PM
L_Sport
Lead Lap

I m really considering deleting the center resonators and leaving the stock muflers. I am not looking for a huge sound change just enough to let the V8 sound like a V8. Does anyone that has this set up think it may be too loud? Sounds like a good easy choice from what I have heard! I think I may go with it. I just wanna see what more people have to say about it. Is there any advantage of deleting the mufflers leaving the center resonators and running pipes and tips? Personally I want to keep the muffs and just replace the resonators with straight pipe... Please advise.
Old 08-04-08, 07:37 AM
steveski
Lexus Champion

I have a video of my LS with resonators deleted (just the middle 2). I will dig it up and maybe post it on You Tube. It made it louder outside the cabin but inside it was still quiet - just a rumble.
Old 08-04-08, 05:56 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by L_Sport
I m really considering deleting the center resonators and leaving the stock muflers. I am not looking for a huge sound change just enough to let the V8 sound like a V8. Does anyone that has this set up think it may be too loud? Sounds like a good easy choice from what I have heard! I think I may go with it. I just wanna see what more people have to say about it. Is there any advantage of deleting the mufflers leaving the center resonators and running pipes and tips? Personally I want to keep the muffs and just replace the resonators with straight pipe... Please advise.
THere is an additional advantage to deleting mufflers but leaving the resonators on a lowered car. I am in Chicago (just finished 2500 miles with the car), and there was a driveway where my rear pipes severely dragged getting up and down.

If I had mufflers on the car, wouldn't have been able to go up and down it.

Get rid of those mufflers!
Old 08-04-08, 06:02 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by ryanSC300lover
THere is an additional advantage to deleting mufflers but leaving the resonators on a lowered car. I am in Chicago (just finished 2500 miles with the car), and there was a driveway where my rear pipes severely dragged getting up and down.

If I had mufflers on the car, wouldn't have been able to go up and down it.

Get rid of those mufflers!
seconded for truth, i sold my old LSportline exhaust just for this reason, i was able to lower my car another 1.5ish inches in the rear after ditching it since before i couldnt even get in my driveway without scraping

when i had my exhaust made i had the actual muffler pushed up into the OEM location (they are thinner) and pulled the tips down a bit, this way the tips get sacrificed and not the actual muffler or worse, the bumper , tips are cheap+easy to replace
Old 08-04-08, 09:05 PM
steveski
Lexus Champion

I dug up the old video with no resonators and OEM mufflers. I will post on You Tube tomorrow and post link on this thread to give you an idea of what to expect.
Old 08-06-08, 11:53 AM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Here's the link to the old video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=173n6RsnSMg

OEM mufflers with center resonator only. The other 2 resonators were removed.

Notice it sounds a lot like Magnaflow only quieter.

Enjoy
Old 08-06-08, 08:11 PM
FabX
Driver School Candidate

I'm surprised that no one is running the Tuning Grüppe exhaust kit... mine just showed up, will install it Friday/Saturday.

Its a rear muffler delete section made out of stainless steel with a polished tip. It normally can come with a 4" single (slightly oval I think) or dual 2.5" tips (from each side of course) but I ordered mine with just an oval 3" tip to look closer to factory. Supposedly they bolt right on, and look awesome too (welds look amazing by the way, will get pictures ASAP). I met a local guy who had them on his LS, and they looked clean as well as sounded pretty good (better than just unbolting the mufflers, as mine sits right now :P)

Anxious anxious!
Old 08-07-08, 06:11 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by FabX
I'm surprised that no one is running the Tuning Grüppe exhaust kit... mine just showed up, will install it Friday/Saturday.

Its a rear muffler delete section made out of stainless steel with a polished tip. It normally can come with a 4" single (slightly oval I think) or dual 2.5" tips (from each side of course) but I ordered mine with just an oval 3" tip to look closer to factory. Supposedly they bolt right on, and look awesome too (welds look amazing by the way, will get pictures ASAP). I met a local guy who had them on his LS, and they looked clean as well as sounded pretty good (better than just unbolting the mufflers, as mine sits right now :P)

Anxious anxious!
perhaps because they are a VERY local company, and dont have any parts on their site, and arent really known at all for making parts for japanese cars? iirc they are a euro tuner, a friend with a modded jetta raves about some of their 1.8/6t parts.

post pics...(in another thread pls)
Old 08-07-08, 08:42 PM
FabX
Driver School Candidate

Hmm... maybe that would explain it. Stupid euros...

Quick Reply: Muffler delete review on 1st gen '91LS in Texas; legal for state inspection?