LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

DIY Coolant Temperature Sensor change (PICS)

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-08, 09:40 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by lexie
hey guys,

any idea where the '98 LS400 ECT sensor located ? seems like I'm missing all the excitment.
il check my repair manual.
Old 09-06-08, 11:04 PM
lexie
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
il check my repair manual.
Thank you.
Old 09-07-08, 02:34 PM
avalon42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

After quite a bit of skepticism, I decided $29.99 was worth the plunge. Crap, I spend that much on 1/2 a tank of gas already. My LS has a little over 180K.

This thing was a PITA to remove and install. I don't agree with what Och said, you're bound to spend at least 1 hr trying to remove all the coverings to access this sensor (for 1st gens). It is at a slightly different area and accessibility than the 2nd gens. The metric wrench and deep socket size you will need is 19mm.

When I found mine, it was already loose from the connector. Turns out, it failed or moisture permeated inside, and was VERY corroded. After the install, I took her for a quick spin. I did not remove the ECU fuse during the removal/install because I wanted to see the results without any benefit of the ECU reboot.

Results were smoother idle and powerband. Quick acceleration. I am now a believer. Thank you CL, jasonburt and Zoraone.

Last edited by avalon42; 09-07-08 at 05:12 PM.
The following users liked this post:
yachtspeed (01-06-18)
Old 09-07-08, 09:59 PM
jasonburt
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

After changing this sensor I believe a good Seafoam treatment will clean the deposits in our engine from running RICH for so long. What do you guys think?
benlex400 (01-26-22)
Old 09-08-08, 08:26 AM
Zoraone
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

I am glad everyone is finding success with this service item.

To this day my car is performing and driving better than ever. Now that the temperatures in Indy have gone from 90's to the upper 60's the car is actually a joy to drive again --- not that it is a hot rod, but you know... it is nice to actually have a healthy running vehicle.

Yes, I am sure a seafoam would help even more as I am sure there is excess carbon build up from the super rich mixture.
benlex400 (01-26-22)
Old 09-08-08, 08:40 AM
atoyot
Pole Position

drifter, any update on the temp sensor location for us 98+ guys?
Old 09-08-08, 10:52 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by avalon42
After quite a bit of skepticism, I decided $29.99 was worth the plunge. Crap, I spend that much on 1/2 a tank of gas already. My LS has a little over 180K.

This thing was a PITA to remove and install. I don't agree with what Och said, you're bound to spend at least 1 hr trying to remove all the coverings to access this sensor (for 1st gens). It is at a slightly different area and accessibility than the 2nd gens. The metric wrench and deep socket size you will need is 19mm.
Probably if you're doing it for the first time. I spent so much time working on this engine, that I can easily change the ECT sensor in 15 minutes. The only thing that needs to be removed is the ignition coil with bracket and the small plastic ignition cables cover.
Old 09-08-08, 11:54 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by atoyot
drifter, any update on the temp sensor location for us 98+ guys?
manual says its under the throttle body but i wanna take a few mins and poke around to see if it can be done w/o removing the throttle body.
Old 09-14-08, 06:31 PM
lexie
Pole Position

any update on the location of the 98 LS coolant sensor.
Old 09-14-08, 07:32 PM
aggieguy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, I tried this on the first gen (94 139k). I am not mechanic but don't have alot of money so I gave it a try. (probably should not have but I did so hope you can help). After I did this the car would start fine and die immediately. I looked over what I had done and noticed the clip on the passenger side ignition coil was busted and not connected, must have pulled it from the coil while trying to remove it. Anyway, that clip is shot and I guess I need to try and get a new one because I can't get it to stay in the connector area.

But, would this cause the car to die immediately or would you think it was something else?

Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated--I did search the forums but need some expert guidance and opinions.

Thanks again!
Old 09-15-08, 06:20 AM
atoyot
Pole Position

not being completely knowledgeable of the LS, i would say that that wire being pulled from the coil is causing the car to run on 7 cylinders. Maybe the computer reads that and shuts it off as a safety concern. Just guessing. Or perhaps you didn't hook something else back up?
Old 09-15-08, 02:30 PM
aggieguy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok, I fixed it for now. Just need to get a new harness for the wires on the back. Thanks to everyone for their help. Saved me some $$$$.
Old 09-21-08, 11:53 AM
Lexozz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I sure wish I would've thought of this when I had the starter out along with everything else. This really F%&% sucks. After busting my *** with the starter replacement I do not feel like going back under the hood, but saving gas is worth it.
Old 09-21-08, 02:48 PM
Zoraone
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexozz
I sure wish I would've thought of this when I had the starter out along with everything else. This really F%&% sucks. After busting my *** with the starter replacement I do not feel like going back under the hood, but saving gas is worth it.
This is 100,000 times easier than the starter replacement. The intake manifold doesn't have to come off.
Old 09-21-08, 10:32 PM
lexie
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
manual says its under the throttle body but i wanna take a few mins and poke around to see if it can be done w/o removing the throttle body.
for '98 LS, it is located almost at the same spot as the 1st gen. You will see the sensor right after you remove the V bank cover. Nothing else to remove to change the coolant sensor.

Quick Reply: DIY Coolant Temperature Sensor change (PICS)