LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Swapping a 1JZGTE into a first gen LS400

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-08, 10:50 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

im not going to argue that a 1jz is a great engine, but just not suited for this application.

if you had some dyno sheets going from around 1500-2000 RPM instead of nearly 3000 as these are i'd be interested in seeing how it performs.

end of the day, if you decide to go through the steps to turbo ur 1jz, it's going to be quick, PROVIDED you are pulling a decent amount of low end torque and manage to custom fab a rear end.
Old 09-10-08, 11:01 PM
shern
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Please don't forget......the lexus SC coupe ranges in weight from 3500-3600lbs. The UCF10-UCF20 ranges from 3650-3850lbs. Granted there is a weight difference, but I don't believe the differential warrants looking elsewhere. My car is pretty quick and I only have 290wtq. Having a friend sit in the passenger seat and it's still quick. I don't get upset about lower torque down low. When boost hits, it's a done deal.
Old 09-10-08, 11:12 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by shern
Please don't forget......the lexus SC coupe ranges in weight from 3500-3600lbs. The UCF10-UCF20 ranges from 3650-3850lbs. Granted there is a weight difference, but I don't believe the differential warrants looking elsewhere. My car is pretty quick and I only have 290wtq. Having a friend sit in the passenger seat and it's still quick. I don't get upset about lower torque down low. When boost hits, it's a done deal.
look at the trans and rear end gearing in each.

you can't just swap in supra gears into the UCF1x.
Old 09-10-08, 11:16 PM
shern
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fair enough. What is the rear end gearing ratio for UCFXX?
Old 09-11-08, 01:23 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by shern
Fair enough. What is the rear end gearing ratio for UCFXX?
UCF10 (1990 model used for test)
weight: 3,759 lbs.
final drive ratio: 3.62:1

UCF20 (1998 model used for test)
weight: 3,890 lbs.
final drive ratio: 3.27:1

UZZ30/JZZ30 (1994 model used for test)
Weight:
3,616 lb (SC 400)
3,506 lb (SC 300 manual transmission)
3,528 lb (SC 300 automatic transmission)

final drive ratio:
3.92:1 (SC 400)
4.08:1 (SC 300 manual transmission)
4.27:1 (SC 300 automatic transmission)
Old 09-11-08, 09:07 AM
pharnhyte
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
UCF10 (1990 model used for test)
weight: 3,759 lbs.
final drive ratio: 3.62:1

UCF20 (1998 model used for test)
weight: 3,890 lbs.
final drive ratio: 3.27:1

UZZ30/JZZ30 (1994 model used for test)
Weight:
3,616 lb (SC 400)
3,506 lb (SC 300 manual transmission)
3,528 lb (SC 300 automatic transmission)

final drive ratio:
3.92:1 (SC 400)
4.08:1 (SC 300 manual transmission)
4.27:1 (SC 300 automatic transmission)

I have dyno sheets as well somewhere.

Puredrifter; the final drive ratio does not mean anything. Its the overall gearing in every gear that people need to look at.

I have a 4.3 LSD rear in my supra, no matter what rpm I am at, I have boost, and my redline is set to 8000rpms, which means I have plenty of revs to play with.

Last edited by pharnhyte; 09-11-08 at 09:15 AM.
Old 09-11-08, 09:51 AM
pharnhyte
Driver

Here is a video of a 1jz swapped SC400, not that this helps much, but you would probably do better asking the guys that swapped the 1jz into the sc400 what they had to go through.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyU2T...eature=related
Old 09-11-08, 10:07 AM
pharnhyte
Driver

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...jz+swap&page=7

Originally Posted by ZIP
My El-Cheapo approach in case anyone is interested.
Swapped a 2JZ-GTE and auto trans. from a JZS147 Aristo into a 1993 LS400. Switch original aluminum engine mount brackets from left to right and right to left.This gets them pretty darn close to where they need to be(Fore/Aft). Utilised 2005 LS430 engine mounts (rubber mount). These mounts work well because the bottom stud and upper stud are off-set. They can be rotated like an eccentric to get you left/right alignment. Use the original LS400 trans mount bolted to the 2JZ's transmission. Use the LS400 output/ tailshaft flange on 2JZ transmission... this allows for use of the factory LS400 driveshaft without any modification. The engine sits a little high in the compartment, but hood still closes with only the slightest touching of the throttle body to the hood insulation.
Was actually able to use Aristo fuel line and power steering pressure hose.
Radiator is original LS400. Upper and lower radiator hoses were cut and joined to get proper fitment although upper hose fits tightly against throttle body i/c piping. Low profile Flex-a-lite dual electric cooling fans were mated to the factory fan wiring. Yes, you still need to purchase a Supra water pump and do the wire harness extension (which was prolly the most tedious part of this conversion )
I also went with a 4:10 final drive. Pulled the gears from an '07 IS350(no they don't come LSD)and tossed them into the original case...
If anyone else wants to do this conversion, I am willing to provide any info you may need.
Old 09-11-08, 10:19 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by pharnhyte
I have dyno sheets as well somewhere.

Puredrifter; the final drive ratio does not mean anything. Its the overall gearing in every gear that people need to look at.

I have a 4.3 LSD rear in my supra, no matter what rpm I am at, I have boost, and my redline is set to 8000rpms, which means I have plenty of revs to play with.
final drive doesnt matter? the rear end gearing along with the trans determines overall gearing.

your 4.30 gears are damn low for a lextoy, which is why you can run from a low rpm into boost.

Here is a video of a 1jz swapped SC400, not that this helps much, but you would probably do better asking the guys that swapped the 1jz into the sc400 what they had to go through.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyU2T...eature=related
not really, 1jz literally BOLTS ON to the jzz30 chassis with the OEM (japanese) mounts.

again, notice this user went with a 2jz setup....
Old 09-11-08, 10:41 AM
pharnhyte
Driver

final drive doesnt matter? the rear end gearing along with the trans determines overall gearing.

your 4.30 gears are damn low for a lextoy, which is why you can run from a low rpm into boost.

not really, 1jz literally BOLTS ON to the jzz30 chassis with the OEM (japanese) mounts.

again, notice this user went with a 2jz setup....

I said the overall gearing is what people need to look at. The final drive is only part of the story. You can't simply assume that a certain engine/transmission won't work well with a car, just by going by the final gear ratio.

Take that same car, and put a different transmission in it, same rear, but the
As for the engine mounts, if you look at the link that I posted, the guy used 2jz motor mounts. 2jz, and 1jz motors use the same mounts. Either way you look at it, a 1jz, or a 2jz drops right into a SC400, using factory mounts, and according to people who have dropped it into a LS400, it also drops right in.

I was using the links to the 2jz because thats what the poster was asking about. These engines are extremely alike. And if he was a little worried about the lack of torque ( though a stock 1jz dyno's at more hp/tq then the 1UZ is rated at the flywheel), he could simply bolt a 2jz block on to the 1jz head, for the rather popular 1.5jz engine.

About two months ago, you said that the 1jz never came in a supra, with that in mind, I guess you are rather limited on this subject. As for supercharging the engine, you are limited to the power that you can make. I'd imagine it would be hard to get into the 12's with it. With a 1jz, the sky is the limit, the stock block record is somewhere around 800hp at the wheels, I'd imagine that it can be a lot higher, seeing that the rods, are stout as the 2jz's, but shorter, theoretically making them stronger? And the rest of the engine, is almost identical to its bigger brother.

Simply put, I don't think that the argument that a more powerful 1jz is not a good engine for the car, just because it lacks torque (actually has more) for such a heavy car.
Old 09-11-08, 11:04 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

I said the overall gearing is what people need to look at. The final drive is only part of the story. You can't simply assume that a certain engine/transmission won't work well with a car, just by going by the final gear ratio.

Take that same car, and put a different transmission in it, same rear, but the
As for the engine mounts, if you look at the link that I posted, the guy used 2jz motor mounts. 2jz, and 1jz motors use the same mounts. Either way you look at it, a 1jz, or a 2jz drops right into a SC400, using factory mounts, and according to people who have dropped it into a LS400, it also drops right in.

I was using the links to the 2jz because thats what the poster was asking about. These engines are extremely alike. And if he was a little worried about the lack of torque ( though a stock 1jz dyno's at more hp/tq then the 1UZ is rated at the flywheel), he could simply bolt a 2jz block on to the 1jz head, for the rather popular 1.5jz engine.

About two months ago, you said that the 1jz never came in a supra, with that in mind, I guess you are rather limited on this subject. As for supercharging the engine, you are limited to the power that you can make. I'd imagine it would be hard to get into the 12's with it. With a 1jz, the sky is the limit, the stock block record is somewhere around 800hp at the wheels, I'd imagine that it can be a lot higher, seeing that the rods, are stout as the 2jz's, but shorter, theoretically making them stronger? And the rest of the engine, is almost identical to its bigger brother.

Simply put, I don't think that the argument that a more powerful 1jz is not a good engine for the car, just because it lacks torque (actually has more) for such a heavy car.
i don't recall saying the 1jz was never in the supra i do recall saying it was never sold in the USA.... it was in several overseas models, soarer and of course the jza70 (mk3) supra 2.5.

i never said it WOULDN'T drop in, i did my research several years ago for what it would take to stuff a JZ motor into a UCF1/2/3 body.

now, as far as hp/torque goes, yes, the 1jz has more hp and torque, but compared to a factory 1uz dyno iirc it is at a much higher RPM. stop comparing peak hp/tq, its the curve that matters here. and no, just because the rods are shorter does not automatically make them stronger, real world tests indicate they are the same strength or a tiny bit weaker once at high power levels.

and i've already detailled the benefits/cons of swapping in a JZ motor compared to the UZ, the 1UZ block in and of itself is bulletproof, yes, it can't take high hp on its stock internals, the JZ is unique for that ability, but there is a reason TRD was running a 2UZ block in teh old Super GT and GT500 supras and soarers
Old 09-11-08, 11:18 AM
pharnhyte
Driver

i don't recall saying the 1jz was never in the supra i do recall saying it was never sold in the USA.... it was in several overseas models, soarer and of course the jza70 (mk3) supra 2.5.

i never said it WOULDN'T drop in, i did my research several years ago for what it would take to stuff a JZ motor into a UCF1/2/3 body.

now, as far as hp/torque goes, yes, the 1jz has more hp and torque, but compared to a factory 1uz dyno iirc it is at a much higher RPM. stop comparing peak hp/tq, its the curve that matters here. and no, just because the rods are shorter does not automatically make them stronger, real world tests indicate they are the same strength or a tiny bit weaker once at high power levels.

and i've already detailled the benefits/cons of swapping in a JZ motor compared to the UZ, the 1UZ block in and of itself is bulletproof, yes, it can't take high hp on its stock internals, the JZ is unique for that ability, but there is a reason TRD was running a 2UZ block in teh old Super GT and GT500 supras and soarers
the LS has much taller gearing than any supra.....both in rear end and in teh trans.

and a 2LS is decently heavier than a 1LS...

and the 1jz, which was NEVER used in the supra, produces a lot LESS torque, especially at the lower end where you need it for a heavy car, than the 2jz.

some members have messed with later model vvti mounts....but no confirmed fitment.
Funny statement. A soarer weighs more then a supra. Toyota must really have had it backwards.

Funny statement X2 for the LS having taller gears then any supra

Ummm as for JGTC, most Toyota's use the 3sgte, not the JZ, or V8 engines. In fact its been that way since 1996 or so. One car did use the V8, I forget what Tuner it was, but I can find out if you want.
Old 09-11-08, 11:41 AM
pharnhyte
Driver

Lastly, from every 1UZ dyno that I have seen, 250hp is a rather generous rating. More like 220hp or so.

At 3000 rpm's the 1jz makes more hp and tq. I am having a hard time finding one with a lower graph, but I don't know many people that shift at 2000 rpm's.

I could probably beat my LS400 to 120 if it had a ten car lead, and beat it to 100mph if it was going fifty, and I was stopped with my 1jz supra.

stock 1UZ dyno

1jz exhaust gutted cat: with a downpipe, expect another 30hp

Last edited by pharnhyte; 09-11-08 at 11:45 AM.
Old 09-11-08, 02:06 PM
MEANDAFAKA
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wait a minute, i'm still new to the whole lexus deal here. so since the sc400 and the LS uses the same 1uz, and lets refer to the 1st gen for both. and if they use same engine, same trans. AND the sc400 can just do straight swap from 1uz to 1jz, or 2jz using 1jz mount, that means....... same for the 1LS!!!!!! holy crap, and that means..... our 1LS will be lighter and will be pretty fast with some mod into it. just like those crazy japanese swapping their Z32(300zx) from the heavy v6 to the SR20 turbo. but the shiity deal on that is that the motor mount is totally different. but for us, we just need to buy a different mount. holy jesus, imagine how crazy it would be, seeing a little 6 cylinder with a fat turbo in our car.
Old 09-11-08, 04:20 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Funny statement. A soarer weighs more then a supra. Toyota must really have had it backwards.

Funny statement X2 for the LS having taller gears then any supra

Ummm as for JGTC, most Toyota's use the 3sgte, not the JZ, or V8 engines. In fact its been that way since 1996 or so. One car did use the V8, I forget what Tuner it was, but I can find out if you want.
what years did the 2jz come equipped in Toyota Supras? 93-98 (01 overseas) mk3 supra weighed in at ~3,389lbs, mk4 supra, the one i was referring to, weighed in at 3.486 lbs.

and what are you talking about, most of the competative old GT500 supra's ran 3uz motors, Esso, Advan, Tom's, everyone
http://supergt.net/jgtc/race/2003/03r4e/034entry_en.htm for example, the GT300 class cars useld 3S motors.

Lastly, from every 1UZ dyno that I have seen, 250hp is a rather generous rating. More like 220hp or so.

At 3000 rpm's the 1jz makes more hp and tq. I am having a hard time finding one with a lower graph, but I don't know many people that shift at 2000 rpm's.

I could probably beat my LS400 to 120 if it had a ten car lead, and beat it to 100mph if it was going fifty, and I was stopped with my 1jz supra.
well you are comparing an engine made to be put into a sports car to an engine made to be a big bulletproof cruiser. you compare a stock turbo 2.5 to a stock na 4.0l that's historically conservatively tuned obviously its uneven. the comparison is even more pointless since you spoke of Modifying the 1jz anyways.

Originally Posted by MEANDAFAKA
wait a minute, i'm still new to the whole lexus deal here. so since the sc400 and the LS uses the same 1uz, and lets refer to the 1st gen for both. and if they use same engine, same trans. AND the sc400 can just do straight swap from 1uz to 1jz, or 2jz using 1jz mount, that means....... same for the 1LS!!!!!! holy crap, and that means..... our 1LS will be lighter and will be pretty fast with some mod into it. just like those crazy japanese swapping their Z32(300zx) from the heavy v6 to the SR20 turbo. but the shiity deal on that is that the motor mount is totally different. but for us, we just need to buy a different mount. holy jesus, imagine how crazy it would be, seeing a little 6 cylinder with a fat turbo in our car.
no, the UZ and JZ cars use different transmissions, the SC chassis was designed from the start to house both motors, which is why you can get engine mounts for SC3 and SC4. but NO, those mounts will not perfectly neatly bolt in to the UCF1/2x there's more to it.

oh, and the 1uz V8 is LIGHTER than the 1jz I6, ~390lbs vs. 496lbs(both dry)

Quick Reply: Swapping a 1JZGTE into a first gen LS400