LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Brakes ! (new brakes, loud cracking noise '95)

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-08, 11:07 AM
V.I.P LS4
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Brakes ! (new brakes, loud cracking noise '95)

So i recently change my breaks the phlips bolts in the rotor did not want to come off had to drill them throught got everything done ive been drivin on the new breaks and when i come to a sudden stop i hear a loud cracking noise in both fron breaks >??? im thinking its those bolts but when i called lexus the parts genious told me that those bolts are only there when the car is on the assembly line so that the rotors dont fall off when the car moves along the assembly line ?
anyone know of this
Old 10-02-08, 12:31 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 96 Likes on 88 Posts

replace them.

also check and make sure you PROPERLY torqued down the caliper mounting bolts...
Old 10-02-08, 12:33 PM
V.I.P LS4
Pole Position

ya im gna have to do that tday along with the oil change just have no time should get my celsior badge tday =) would you know of a site that has the three peice wing for cheap ?
Old 10-02-08, 04:45 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The bolts are needed and keep the rotors from moving on the hub .
For $2 they are worth a set of 4 , also buy a hammer driver. It gives max traction for torque and keeps you from needing to buy new ones ever time.
It is like a small screwdriver with a large stubby handle . When you hit the back of it , it causes the screw to turn while being pressed in. Voila no more stripped heads
Old 10-02-08, 05:24 PM
V.I.P LS4
Pole Position

Thumbs down aha

Thanks alot will do i thought that was the problem lol i thought my breaks were gna fall appart
i seen u were the only one that left the lexus badge and put the celsior badge as well i just ordered mine should get it tmrw
what im worried about are the holes from the ls400 emblem will the celsior ones fit ?
cuz im not gna bando and sand and paint the trunk way too much work
Old 10-03-08, 04:34 PM
JBrewster
Driver

Those bolts will not cause that, you have another problem. You don't even needs those bolts.
Old 10-03-08, 08:00 PM
V.I.P LS4
Pole Position

Lightbulb hmm

then what could the problem b ?

doesnt hurt tryin that i meain i took off the wheel and the hub does make a similair sound when i moved it
i dont think it should move?
Old 10-04-08, 12:43 AM
JBrewster
Driver

Caliper mounting bolts could have back out or the lug nuts may not have been tight enough. You're going to have to get in there and check things out.
Old 10-05-08, 11:15 AM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JBrewster
Those bolts will not cause that, you have another problem. You don't even needs those bolts.
I am not sure why you say this ,can you explain your theory on how a 3000lb car is stopped by lug nuts holding a wheel and rotor to a hub at 80 ft lbs of torque do not apply opposing forces on the studs not designed for the torque ?
Old 10-05-08, 02:26 PM
JBrewster
Driver

Originally Posted by skperformance
I am not sure why you say this ,can you explain your theory on how a 3000lb car is stopped by lug nuts holding a wheel and rotor to a hub at 80 ft lbs of torque do not apply opposing forces on the studs not designed for the torque ?
So you think those two little skinny bolts are meant to hold all the torque from braking? Most cars don't even have those little bolts because they're not needed.
Old 10-05-08, 02:46 PM
MEANDAFAKA
Lead Lap

so what is the real answer for the bolts on the rotor? need or no need?
Old 10-05-08, 07:23 PM
hobojoe
Lead Lap

as far as i can Yes you do..... the rotor on my car have never ever been replaced or turned. Just the pads i did the rear rotors today and there were Still there and Easy to take out. and once i did it was easy to tell that other than the wheel thats what basically holds the rotor in place.
Old 10-05-08, 08:45 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

From your response JBrewster i take it you do not know but because you said so it must be . That may well be a good enough reason for your logical reasoning as an answer but for me it is not.

How many cars have 4 piston calipers ? Is it because the car weights a great deal and slowing it down is an important part of its equation ?
I have driven with the screws and without them as well as not torquing them down tightly as the heads were stripped over a period of months for each . No other changes made but screws.
I now keep 10 on hand at all times. I must just be crazy , right?

It is to keep a rotor which heats up changes shape and its rotation on a as true a plane as possible . Why it makes a difference in compared to other cars is unlike other cars the LS does not have a floating caliper which glides back and forth with a warped rotors ( AKA pedal vibration ) . It instead has 4 pistons which have to hold a pad and work independently since the frame they are held into is in a fixed position.

Now in regards to the little skinny screws doing nothing . The diameter is quite large as well the surface area of them well and take up for their size by being angled to apply maximum force without the size. They are used to center and hold the position of the rotor in relation to the hub and caliper at all times and reduce run out.If it made no difference and studs held all the weight why do so many weird people go out and by centering rings. After all it is only the hub that little 2 mm lip can't hold anything , can it?

It is all physics and it makes sense , unfortunately not to you but gladly it did to a Lexus engineer. I am not one , but i do understand that before i start undoing anything and pretending i am an engineer i should figure out the pros and cons.

pro it works like ti is supposed to .
con it costs me $1 more to change my rotors .

BTW as far as the assembly line thing goes , if that were even remotely true ever car under the sun would have the screws or atleast every toyota .Besides once the caliper is in place probably by the next man on the assembly line it would no longer be needed. I am sure Toyota would have found a better allocation of resources (AKA funds) and used a paperclip as they use many other temporary clips in the installation process.

Now if you find fault with anything i am saying please explain it to me with the same rational i used as to why .
I have found when it comes to posting if i don't know about something , i just don't respond .

Last edited by skperformance; 10-05-08 at 08:51 PM.
Old 10-05-08, 08:50 PM
MEANDAFAKA
Lead Lap

^wow, i'm keeping my screws.
Old 10-05-08, 09:37 PM
V.I.P LS4
Pole Position

Default ya

and so i thought the screws were a necessity unfortunately im going to have to re-thread the hub since i stripped the screws but ill c if it all works out tommorow =)

Quick Reply: Brakes ! (new brakes, loud cracking noise '95)