LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Inside tire wear ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-08, 07:29 PM
93lexES300
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inside tire wear ?

So I was replacing my rotors/pads on the front of my first gen when I noticed that my tires (245/40/18) on SC rims were wearing as if something was cutting into the side of them. Thei're down to the metal threads in some places. Has anyone else had this problem or have an idea of what it could be rubbing against? I can't see anything that's been cleaned off or shaved down by the tire rubbing against it in the wheel well.

Old 10-11-08, 07:54 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 96 Likes on 88 Posts

check the caster bar bushings.

most likely you just need an alignment badly, seems like the Toe is out.
Old 10-11-08, 08:02 PM
93lexES300
Driver

I had the allignment checked 2 mos ago and they said all was fine. That's why I don't see why this is happening.
Old 10-11-08, 08:43 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 472 Likes on 362 Posts

How's the other side?

What brand and model tire? Might have a defective tire for it to lose a strip like that. Any suspension parts in the area rubbing it on a hard turn? That section doesn't contact unless you are way under inflated but the wear would be on the other side too.
Old 10-11-08, 08:44 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

they set the toe wrong.

i had the same issue on my oooold tires (back when i was on 18s) after i lowered my car and my toe was WAY off.
Old 10-11-08, 10:56 PM
93lexES300
Driver

SHould I go back to the tire shop and have them re-check the alignment? These are Goodyear Runflats, so not cheap tires. If the toe is off and the cause of this I will be furious as I could have blown both front tires and ended up in a tree or something. I am running KYB's and H&R's for suspension.
Old 10-12-08, 12:01 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by 93lexES300
SHould I go back to the tire shop and have them re-check the alignment? These are Goodyear Runflats, so not cheap tires. If the toe is off and the cause of this I will be furious as I could have blown both front tires and ended up in a tree or something. I am running KYB's and H&R's for suspension.
sounds like the toe is off...
my alignment guy set my toe to as close to 0 as possible.

you don't HAVE to get runflats.
personally, i hate them, 99% of the time they don't handle as well or feel as nice. tooo damn stiff.
Old 10-12-08, 12:32 AM
93lexES300
Driver

Yeah, this is really annoying, but on the bright side I'm glad I saw this before something happened to my family or I. afgain, I'm just pissed that I took it to get alligned at LesSchwab a a month after I installed the new suspension so it would have time to settle before the allignment. I was surprised when the tech told me my allignment was fine except a little extra camber in the rear. The rear cammber I expected and it's still running less camber than any euro sedan does stock. They didn't charge me since they didn't change the allinment, but realy they now cost me $600 to $700 which it will take to replace the tires. How likely do you think they are to admit fault? I've gone to this lesschwab for the last 10 years, and i've bought over a dozen sets of tires (I used to switch cars a lot when I was single) and at least 4 sets of wheels, so I know some of the guys pretty well.
Old 10-13-08, 10:43 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

did they actually put the car on the alignment rack to check it? there's no way your toe settings would be fine after lowering it with no alignment. NO way. anytime you change camber, toe changes dramatically. obviously, lowering the car changes camber, so....
you definitely need to get the car on an alignment rack and have it done right and also check for worn suspension components as that can cause tire wire like that. most likely though, your toe is way out.
Old 10-13-08, 07:25 PM
93lexES300
Driver

Yup they did have it on a rack. I brought it back today, and they put in on a different rack and the allignment was within spec. No one out of the 3 guys looking at it could figure out how this happened within a couple months. So this is what I'm guessing happened. The tires(runflats) have a much stiffer sidewall than a normal tire, when you turn the wheel the wheels turn and pivot a little, so when they are turned they are actually at maybe a 30 degree angle. Since these sidewals can't deflect like normal sidewalls more stress/wear is being put on the edge of the tire. If this is not the case I am lost because there is no signs of wear anywhere, I have have now had 2 different allignment techs check the suspension.
Old 10-13-08, 07:41 PM
Rocan
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 93lexES300
Yup they did have it on a rack. I brought it back today, and they put in on a different rack and the allignment was within spec. No one out of the 3 guys looking at it could figure out how this happened within a couple months. So this is what I'm guessing happened. The tires(runflats) have a much stiffer sidewall than a normal tire, when you turn the wheel the wheels turn and pivot a little, so when they are turned they are actually at maybe a 30 degree angle. Since these sidewals can't deflect like normal sidewalls more stress/wear is being put on the edge of the tire. If this is not the case I am lost because there is no signs of wear anywhere, I have have now had 2 different allignment techs check the suspension.
then send those pics to goodyear and see what they say...
Old 10-13-08, 10:30 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

what is "within spec"?

make sure they have the right specs for your car.
post up the final specs il try to get my last alignment specs up here, i've been meaning to do it for a while now...
Old 10-14-08, 04:03 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Am running the same setup you are (H&R springs, and KYB shocks) but I am on 235's instead on 245's. I am not having those problems with the inside rubbig. As others have said there is NO WAY that your car is`within specs. Bit of advice for comparison, might want to try another shop for alignment and see the diference in the numbers.
Old 10-14-08, 06:25 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

so they put it on the alignment rack, hooked up all the sensors and said everything was ok? did you watch them do this?
Old 10-14-08, 06:54 AM
ffcgary1
Driver School Candidate

The tyre shop in question seems to be talking out of his pooper here, as the car has non stock shockers and springs,and is lowered to boot.It just cannot be within spec, you need to find an allinement shop that can set the toe and camber to take into account the new set up. Looking at the photos my first thought was that the tyre was rubbing the upper ball joint nut /split pin as they look very close to being inline with the wear but this seems to be impossible as you appear to have a min of 2"" clearance.

Quick Reply: Inside tire wear ?