LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Big brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-08, 01:34 PM
richonenz
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 95 LS 4 spot calipers on my 90 LS , I prefer the LS calipers over the Supra ones as they are alloy and **** loads lighter !!
The way to avoid the steering arm nut clearance issue is just to fit the later 95 lower ball joints while you are at it , you are probably due for ball joints anyway , no need to change the brake line if you use LS calipers , yours will bolt straight up .
Old 11-03-08, 02:15 PM
Christian
Pole Position

Hi,

so for the LS calipers I would need following parts to make them fit in a 92 LS?

-calipers
-caliper holders
-rotors
-pads
-dustshield or cut the existing one
-lower ball joints >95 model
-at least 16" wheels, but not all work

for the supra calipers

-calipers
-caliper holders
-rotors
-pads
-dustshield or cut the existing one
-brakelines
-at least 17" wheels

Christian
Old 11-03-08, 02:42 PM
richonenz
Pole Position

Yep , only not caliper holders , no such thing , the caliper has it's own mount , bolts straight on , I fitted 95 dust shields way before I did the brakes as I did the wheel bearings and knew that eventually 4 pots would go on .
I gotta say it was very nice not to have to cut bend tear or play with the dust shield when I eventually fitted the calipers .
It's funny as when I got home last night my wife came up to me and gave me a way bigger hug than normal and said " I love you heaps , I love our car , I love the tyres you have on it and I love the big brakes even more !! "
A big "B" double had pulled out of a give way on her and she pulled it up about a foot from the passenger side of the tractor unit !!!!
Her exact words were " with the old brakes I would have hit him !! "
This is about the third time in about 2 years of having fitted the 4 pots that this has happened
Man I like my big brakes a lot !!
As the saying goes "Just do it "
Old 11-03-08, 03:36 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Did you overlap the old and new balljoints to make sure alignment is the same? I'm sure the balljoints fit (it's a toyota, most likely parts will fit any other toyota ), but where the tie-rod bolts to may not be exactly the same location as the previous balljoint so your toe may be off. Just lookin' out..
Old 11-04-08, 05:47 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

richonenz u have any pics? thanks for the info btw
Old 11-04-08, 11:23 AM
richonenz
Pole Position

The ealier ball joit has a step up in the arm that the steering rack attaches too , the 95 and later ball joint arm comes out flat , so yes there is a knat's **** difference in the alignment , not enough that you have to rush infor a wheel alignment the next day !!
But something you want to do within a week or so .
An alignment should be done when you fit new ball joints anyway .
Yes I do have some pics and I'll send them tonight as they are at home .
Old 02-10-10, 11:36 PM
J_LS
Driver School Candidate

I know i'm bringing up an old post but i was just wondering... in the lextreme write up on supra brake upgrade they state that a "modified" supra rotor was used and would have to be purchased from them... how true is that? i actually have my parts on order from a local parts house here and i ordered aftermarket centric rotors (supra rotors of course) that has an O.E. fit... am i going to have any problems installing these or should i just order the rotors at lextreme? i actually have all the hardware, calipers, pads, bolts & backing plates already... i am just waiting on the rotors. Oh yeah, btw... converting a 91 LS if anyone was wondering what model car i have. Another thing if anyone knows, i really didn't want to bend or cut my O.E. backing plate so i just ordered the supra ones... these should fit right? Thanks for any info guys!
Old 02-11-10, 12:29 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

no idea if the supra dust shield will fit, not that its that big a deal.

the rotors dont need to be modified.
Old 02-11-10, 10:14 PM
J_LS
Driver School Candidate

^^^thanks pd!!! i guess i just needed confirmation, i guess worst case scenario i can return the backing plates if they don't work..
Old 02-12-10, 12:34 PM
Asia-H.T.
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

TT brakes aren't two piece steel btw

Rear piece is made of Alluminium, face is steel
Old 02-15-10, 10:59 PM
J_LS
Driver School Candidate

just to let you guys know the supra backing plates work if you drill holes to match mount (only one will line up)... looks much cleaner than bending & cutting your existing backing plate!!!
Old 02-16-10, 07:29 AM
Thermactor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
actually 95-00 calipers will bolt right on, the problem with them comes from the fact that because they are 2piece ALUMINUM calipers (and the TT calipers are Steel) they are extremely wide and foul on the lower balljoint stud. this can be corrected by either shaving the bolt down (not recco'd) or getting a Roll Center Adjuster. the GS guys have been using the latter method for quite some time, however they arent widely available for the LS yet.

The TT calipers will bolt right on without modifications, but they are MUCH more expensive as well as being Heavier than the 2LS setup.
Do you know if Supra TT wheels bolt on to the 2LS calipers?