LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

98 LS Cluster lights question... not what you think!

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-08, 03:41 PM
oarnura
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 LS Cluster lights question... not what you think!

Ok it started raining in SF bay area while driving I turned the head lamps on during the day. Cali now requires headlamps if the wipers are on. I suddenly noticed the my cluster lights dim and come back. Happened twice and I just caught a glimpse of it. All sorts of thoughts about soldering and circuit boards came to my head. I just bought the car and I have to do the 90K service, ball joints, brakes and struts. I am thinking not one more thing to the list.

Then I realized it only happened when I drove under a bridge. It appears that the sensor detects the dark shadow under the bridge and dimmed the lights. I would come back when it got out of the shadow into the brightness.

Only did this with the headlamps "On" not in "Auto".

Is that normal? Why is the light sensor doing stuff if the lamp is not in Auto?

Last edited by oarnura; 11-01-08 at 03:43 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-01-08, 09:16 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It is normal , turn the switch up to high and it will not do it anymore.
Old 11-02-08, 01:20 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Car is switching from day to night mode. Normal... more like... brilliant.
Old 11-02-08, 12:09 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
Car is switching from day to night mode. Normal... more like... brilliant.
Could not have said it any better myself. The sensor is on the dash by the windshield.
Old 11-02-08, 03:00 PM
oarnura
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TJW98LS
Could not have said it any better myself. The sensor is on the dash by the windshield.
Most cars turn on the dash board light if the head lamps are turned ON. Lexus uses an illuminated dash during the day. It makes sense that they switch the dash lighting to night mode using a sensor regardless of the headlight switch position.

I guess it is just too sensitive if a tiny pedestrian bridge's shadow on the freeway triggers it at 70 Mph in a matter of a few seconds of shade.

It just surprised me that's all and made me think the dreaded dashboard light failure was happening to my car.

Thanks for the clarification.
Old 11-03-08, 01:32 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by oarnura
Most cars turn on the dash board light if the head lamps are turned ON. Lexus uses an illuminated dash during the day. It makes sense that they switch the dash lighting to night mode using a sensor regardless of the headlight switch position.

I guess it is just too sensitive if a tiny pedestrian bridge's shadow on the freeway triggers it at 70 Mph in a matter of a few seconds of shade.

It just surprised me that's all and made me think the dreaded dashboard light failure was happening to my car.

Thanks for the clarification.
I dont think I've seen a burned needled on a 98+ before. So dont worry about that issue, as your home free. The only thing you do have to worry about is the fuel reseting since you last refilled, which is an issue with most 98's. To fix, you have to replace the fueling sending unit. Most people dont care about that issue anyways.
Old 11-03-08, 01:29 PM
oarnura
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GRAND_LS 4
I dont think I've seen a burned needled on a 98+ before. So dont worry about that issue, as your home free. The only thing you do have to worry about is the fuel reseting since you last refilled, which is an issue with most 98's. To fix, you have to replace the fueling sending unit. Most people dont care about that issue anyways.
That's good to know. So far I don't have a problem with the miles since last refuel MID.

Other than a slight leak in then rear struts, slight brake and steering shimmy the car drives perfectly.