LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

No Fuel, Got Spark, New Relays, Just Turns Over

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-08, 08:44 AM
xsc2003
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation No Fuel, Got Spark, New Relays, Just Turns Over

I am working on a 1992 LS400 with the 4.0 V8. The car came in with a starting problem. It just sits there and spins. I've tried to get the codes but the CEL just blinks 2 times every second, which means theres no codes. I have put a new fuel pump, F/P Relay, EFI Relay, Ohm'd Transmitter, Injectors have power, has spark. All it does is sit there and turn over. I know it isn't getting any fuel and thats why it want start, but I've replaced all that stuff twice now,

The fuel pump isn't even kicking on. I can straight wire the fuel pump and the fuel pump will run. I've also tried to start the car this way and it want run like that. But if you spray ether into the throttle body the car wants to run. I've trace wires for days to look for any cuts, slash's, knicks or anything, and I couldn't find one. I've replace fuses and relays like there going outta style. I dont know anything else to do. Where is the fuseable link? I think I may have found one on the passenger side but I think it is tied in with the ABS.
Old 12-12-08, 06:00 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

since the car doesn't run with the pump hotwired, look at what powers the pump normally. probably a cam or crank signal. i've never diagnosed this particualr problem in an LS, but typically the cam or crank sensor will trigger the fuel pump relay once you crank the engine.
so.....if your engine doens't run iwht teh pump hotwired, that means you still have a problem upstream of the actual fuel system. if you have a service manual, look at what triggers the fuel pump relay. that will be your problem.
in other words, look at why your fuel pump doesn't have power when you crank the engine. trace that circuit back.
Old 12-12-08, 08:16 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

if it were a cam or crank sensor problem i would think there would be a code stored, also, u start at the fuel pump and work ur way forward, if u dont have power to the pump, why did u replace it? the next point of power is probably the relay, check power in and out, find the wire that supplies power to the pump from the relay and see if its hot either with the key in the run position or while u crank it over