LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

brake pedal still pulsating after rotor and brake pad change

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-08, 09:42 AM
blkstealthpaid4
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I checked the abs sensor.

Python, right after I changed the components the shaking started and it has never stopped.This has happened 3 times and this morning I found out that my abs sensor is plugged and I think what is not plugged is the brake low pad sensor which is hanging and I am not sure where it goes.I just can't wait for my uncle to call and have him look at it.
Old 01-21-09, 04:26 AM
blkstealthpaid4
Advanced

Wink more update and confusion

I just changed my spindle again on the driversw side since it felt like the vibration was coming from that side.I am still having the same symtoms.Has anyone ever had problems with their abs sensor that goes on the wheel hub?What are the symptoms?My last hope is to change those sensors on the wheel hub.I also did plug the low pad sensor.

Last edited by blkstealthpaid4; 01-21-09 at 04:48 AM. Reason: mistake
Old 01-21-09, 04:56 AM
91 LS400
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is it in your steering wheel or seat? (the vib.)
R ur rear rotors rusty? turn your rear rotors
Old 01-21-09, 05:53 AM
blkstealthpaid4
Advanced

The pulsation is in the pedal itself.During this the front also seem to vibrate.Do you actually think rear rotors could do this?
I am just wondering if anyone has ever experienced this problem.
Old 01-21-09, 06:52 AM
steveski
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by blkstealthpaid4
The pulsation is in the pedal itself.During this the front also seem to vibrate.Do you actually think rear rotors could do this?
I am just wondering if anyone has ever experienced this problem.
When my pedal was pulsating I removed the fronts and turned them at O'Reilly Auto for like $8 each. Although my rears were only a bit off using a dial indicator, I removed them and had them turned also. That cured my pulsating. I did this 1 1/2 years ago and now it is back. I imagine the rotors are just in need of turning again.

I would check your rear rotors though - turning them is cheap and when they are bad they can definitely cause vibration, etc.
Old 01-21-09, 06:12 PM
91 LS400
Rookie

the pedal is F or R.
the wheel is F
the seat is R
I think it rear rotors W/ a lose F end..
Bleed the brakes to every 24 months! its hygroscopic
Old 01-22-09, 12:51 AM
mista808
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would recommend resurfacing all 4 rotors, and torque down the wheels to 80ft lbs. Anything you feel in the pedal, has something to do with the brakes. Pulsating in the pedal would be a warped rotor either front or rear. Do you feel the brake pedal pulsating, or do you feel a vibration in the pedal area when you step on the brake. That's 2 totally differnt problems.
Old 01-23-09, 02:18 PM
atoyot
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i disagree with resurfacing. it only shortens the life of the rotor and it will pulsate again as steveski had happen.

do you have new pad?

have you bed your brakes? http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm

Last edited by atoyot; 01-23-09 at 02:21 PM.
Old 01-23-09, 03:14 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

there's nothing wrong with turning rotors to remove glazed on pad material.

and if you have a "warped" rotor the only way to fix it is to turn it. or aggressively bed in a set of extreme u race pads (which is done sometimes on race cars using full floating 2pc rotors which don't turn very well.
Old 01-24-09, 03:50 AM
blkstealthpaid4
Advanced

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
there's nothing wrong with turning rotors to remove glazed on pad material.

and if you have a "warped" rotor the only way to fix it is to turn it. or aggressively bed in a set of extreme u race pads (which is done sometimes on race cars using full floating 2pc rotors which don't turn very well.
Ok I will take you guys advice and change the rear rotors because the sysmptoms were still there when I changed the front rotors which were purchased brand new from NAPA.If so, then I will be shocked to see rear rotors causing pulsation in the brake pedal.The problem is pulsation in the pedal and this makes the fronmt vibrate.
Old 01-24-09, 07:46 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

[QUOTE=atoyot;4189334]i disagree with resurfacing. it only shortens the life of the rotor and it will pulsate again as steveski had happen.

u cant be serious!
Old 01-24-09, 03:29 PM
blkstealthpaid4
Advanced

Originally Posted by mista808
I would recommend resurfacing all 4 rotors, and torque down the wheels to 80ft lbs. Anything you feel in the pedal, has something to do with the brakes. Pulsating in the pedal would be a warped rotor either front or rear. Do you feel the brake pedal pulsating, or do you feel a vibration in the pedal area when you step on the brake. That's 2 totally differnt problems.
I called autozone,o' reilly,advanced and napa for the rear rotors.
O'reilly wanted $28 a piece.Got those rotors and changed them.It was such a breeze compared to changing the spindle.
Thank you guys!After 6 months of toying with this thing I never knew bad rear rotors could cause pulsatiion on the pedal and vibration on the whole car.
Old 01-24-09, 07:43 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by blkstealthpaid4
I called autozone,o' reilly,advanced and napa for the rear rotors.
O'reilly wanted $28 a piece.Got those rotors and changed them.It was such a breeze compared to changing the spindle.
Thank you guys!After 6 months of toying with this thing I never knew bad rear rotors could cause pulsatiion on the pedal and vibration on the whole car.
generally, when the vibration during braking is coming from the FLOOR of the car (or you feel it through the seat, etc) then it's the REAR that needs to have the rotors cut or replaced. if you feel the vibration in the steering wheel when braking then it's the front rotors.

i've always stuck by this and it's never failed me.
Old 01-24-09, 11:04 PM
91 LS400
Rookie

true
Old 01-25-09, 05:47 PM
atoyot
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by python
u cant be serious!

completely.