LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Instrument Cluster Circuit Board is Bad! $1000 bucks!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-06, 07:46 PM
spxChrome
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well I knew it was just a matter of time and it happend two days ago. The tach and speed needles have been sticking for a few months but would usually kick in after about 10 minutes. Now the tach needle is loosing its light and flickering. Guess its downhill from here. Wonder how long I have until the whole thing just goes out. If someone could come up with a fix for this they would be rich!!
Old 05-05-06, 09:34 PM
ratpad
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cluster

Does anyone have instructions on removing the instrument cluster from a 1996 LS? I know there are some very good directions for an older model but I have not come accross any for my year LS. My cluster has great lights and the gas gauge and tach work. I have a problem with the speedo not working all the time and now after pounding on the dash to see if that was the problem my temp gauge has died.
Old 05-06-06, 07:06 AM
vinegaroon
Rookie

Default Guage problems

Well, I have had all the cluster problems you guys are talking about. Pounding on the dash
won't help at all because the problem is electrical, not mechanical. If you go to Google and
type in Lexus instrument repair, you should some up with a listing for Mr. Wizard who does
this kind of repair work. I found out about him from a used car dealer in Houston who was
satisfied with his work. I think his website is www.mrwizard.com. I have also used a man
is California at jimlwalker@sbcglobal.net. He is very honest, but he has not come up with
a fix for the speedo and tach. Mr. Wizard says he can fix them all for a very reasonable price.
Check him out. I'm sure that taking the guages out of a second-generation Lexus are no
different than a first-generation. Just take screws out and remove parts gently. Lower the
steering wheel to its lowet position to make room.
Old 05-06-06, 06:40 PM
CUMan
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The name of the folks who repair the Lexus instrument panels is not MrWizard. It is MrWhizard. The website is www.mrwhizard.com.

Also, they do not yet have a fix for the sticking speedometer and odometer needles. In an e-mail correspondence I had with them, they mentioned to me that they have a theory that the problem is caused by the handling of the instrument panel when the non-illumination problem is being repaired by replacing the faulty capacitors.

I have no idea whether this theory is valid or not. I do know that my sticking needles problem started several months after the non-illumination problem was repaired.

Go to the Lexus section of their website to see their discussion of these problems. They are also asking for feedback from people having the sticking needles problem.
Old 05-07-06, 08:54 PM
vinegaroon
Rookie

Default Sticky needles

I don't really think of my needles as being sticky. I just don't think they come to life at times
because of faulty circuitry. They usually do after a few minutes, but sometimes they do not.
They did this a couple of years ago and then began to work fine for months. Now they have
begun to 'cut up' again. I thought Mr. Whizard was able to do this fix too. I don't have any
other suggestions at this time.
Old 05-08-06, 07:24 AM
CUMan
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think we are talking about the same problem. When I use the word "sticky," I mean that the needles do not move off zero. My tachometer can usually be brought to life by rapping on the top of the dash about midways between the tachometer and speedometer. Sometimes this will also bring the speedometer to life; however, lately this has not worked. My speedometer will usually jump to the proper point after an hour or so of driving.

Vinegeron, if your problem is the same as mine, it starts when the weather warms up. During the winter months, I have no problems. This is unlike the non-illumination problem, which happens during the winter months.
Old 05-08-06, 10:26 AM
bn268
Driver School Candidate

Smile

Hello everybody,
Jim Walker, Mr.Wizard and Dash USA are good in regards to 93-94 LS 400 instrument cluster
backlighting repair.But they are not able, at least at this time, to fix the intermittenly working,or
sticky speedo or Tach needles.
I am in the auto business for years and I recently found this place www.LexusTech.com in LA
They fix all Lexus instrument clusters of all models and years.I am quite happy with their works.
You guys better check that place out. No other repair facilities comes close to this place.
Old 05-16-06, 01:55 PM
KilaWombat
Lead Lap

I have a 93 ls400 and I just had my cluster circuit boards repaired by Jim Walker. It has been working fine, no problems yet.
Old 09-19-06, 03:03 PM
LSdrifter
Driver School Candidate

i have a 93 ls300 and for about a month or 2 now. the backlighting hasnt been on, but the needles flicker and arent stuck. also the fuel gauge doesnt go up either. even after i drive for 2+ hours, its still the same.
Old 09-19-06, 03:20 PM
vinegaroon
Rookie

If you will look around this forum, there are other folks who have had the same problems you have. One person who fixes cluster problems is jimlwalker@sbcglobal.net.
He did work for me and fixed my problems. If you go to
Google and type in 'Lexus instrument cluster repair', I
think there some listings that will come up immediately.
Be sure to get somebody who can look at ALL the problems
that can arise in that instrument cluster, including the two
big needles for speedometer and tach. Some cannot fix
those two, but there is one guy who says he can fix them
all. My two big needles don't always spring to life when I
start the car, but they usually come on eventually, and I
have learned to drive without them when they are 'sleep-
ing'. Good luck.
Old 10-03-06, 02:33 AM
damon
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

So the Wizard folks think the capacitor repair causes the speedo & tach not to work?

When I bought my 94 LS I had no gas guage & had that capacitor fixed here locally.

I now (30,000 + miles later) have a dark dash at initial startup with the following symptoms.

1) When the panel comes to life the Speedo & Tach begin to operate
along with all of the other instrument readouts & this is simultaneous.

2) Colder the weather the longer you drive before panel comes to life.

3) This whole Instrument Display coming to life is a sporadic event with usually 6-7 episodes of on again-off again before staying lit. Speedo & Tach & others still all simutaneously coming & going.

My uneducated guess is that the circuit in its plastic sandwhich for lack of a better word, losses integrity & increases resistance over the years. You can replace the bad caps but the values will not jibe with what was once upon a time, oem.
Old 10-04-06, 12:04 AM
Lexicon1
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts
Default So, just replace more capacitors.

First of all, who did the installation of the parts?
Did they use the high temp capacitors? If they used a non -premium cap, it may not have been able to withstand the temperature swings.
Also, unless you know that all the capacitors controlling the dash were changed, who is to say which caps are now defective.
Either way, have a competent person with experience do the next repair.
JMHO
Old 10-04-06, 08:13 AM
damon
Racer

Guess you are talking to me Lexicon1.

I am not against doing just that but this is the first I have heard of the theory that doing so causes longer term problems. I am trying to help to debunk that theory.

I had the cap switch done only for the fuel gauge back when we were still in proof of concept stage if you will. I know that that particular cap is functioning fine since when my displays do work, my gauge does as well.

No other caps were altered or changed at that time since there were no other problems at that time. Not sure if the other caps had been isolated back then anyway.

I changed only the C-142 Capacitor in the circuit & used the best quality cap I could get my hands on.

Trying to help everyone here, not specifically worried about my dash.
Truth is I could live without it, but not having my temp gauge visible makes me worry.

Last edited by damon; 10-04-06 at 08:16 AM.
Old 10-04-06, 09:22 AM
Lexicon1
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts
Default While you are in there replacing caps

Why not do a preventive strike and just do all the caps mentioned in the previous posts.
Should save headaches in the future.
It wasnt an easy task, but was fruitfull to change the assortment of components in the dash.
Good luck, keep us posted
Old 10-04-06, 11:11 AM
damon
Racer

That may work fine now & that is probably the path I will choose, but back in the day nobody here had isolated the caps to know what cap performed which function.

I may have been one of the first 3 people to change the C-142 capacitor.

I posted here because I was a little alarmed to hear that the handling of the circuits & the changing of the caps is now alleged by some to speed up the condition where no displays work at all. This is alarming to me.

Quick Reply: Instrument Cluster Circuit Board is Bad! $1000 bucks!!!