LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Instrument Cluster Circuit Board is Bad! $1000 bucks!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-07, 08:36 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

hmmm my uncle found the cap for the 4.7uf and 25v in like a old telephone or something.
Old 11-17-07, 12:41 PM
dfkd
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Received my new LCD from ebay a few days ago and installed it myself today.
I'm comfortable with soldering and everything (been soldering since I was like 10), so I was good for it.

Took me 2 hours (3 episodes of Stargate sans commercials) to complete carefully.

Everything was perfect, instructions were stellar it was all great.
Only thing I noticed, and this is VERY minor, is that the temp setting doesn't have the decimal point we have on ours here in Canada (dont know if the american fahrenheit version uses it.

All in all I'm extremely pleased with the fix (did mine before my display was completely black; I could still read everything), and for $150 and 2 hours; can't beat the value!
Old 11-17-07, 01:21 PM
Ls4hundred
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, so my dad is an EE, has worked on power supplies and batteries for toshiba, compaq, lucent, power one, and now intersil, so I'm gonna let him take care of the dirty work ( and the free caps from his office lol), but I still have a couple questions after going through all 15 pages of the thread. If i remove the gauge cluster will it reset my odo? And there was a member here that said he got lexus to pay for the bulk of the repair costs, I was wondering how. Thanks in advance for saving me $1000. (btw my gauges JUST started the cold morning blackout and my fuel gauge is slow-not working. I have a 1994 with 222,000 miles)
Old 11-17-07, 06:01 PM
dfkd
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Your odo will not reset at all so that's not an issue. No clue about getting lexus to pay for it, but if you make it a DIY job it'll cost you $2 and a couple hours.
Old 12-02-07, 06:39 PM
Ls4hundred
Driver

I think I broke the clips holding in my gauge shroud, the big black plastic piece with a blue clip on the left and a big white one on the right. The clips I broke are the plack ones on the lower part that connect it to the car. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement shroud? Also how do you take it out without breaking it. I read the lexls tutorial and it just says to pull straight out, I did, and now the clips are broken or they just won't go back in...... grr
Old 01-06-08, 08:39 AM
LILEVO
Advanced

Received 232 Likes on 113 Posts

I replaced 212 and 142. Cluster has been working great in the cold for about a month.

I have a new problem involving my odometer, trip a, and trip b.

I can view both trip a, b and reset them. When I press ODO, nothing happens.

If the car sits overnight, when I turn on the car in the morning, the ODO is displayed with my total mileage the day BEFORE. Both trip a and trip b are reset to 0. So no matter how much I drive, it always resets overnight. I have the same mileage on the odometer as I had last week.

So any mileage I accumulated during the day is lost overnight as the odometer resets. It's basically like the cluster resets if it sits too long without power.

Anyone experience this before?
Old 01-08-08, 12:47 PM
j stuff
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I saw this update on mr whizards site... This looks like exactly what i need. Looks like I will be sending it in.

-----------------------------------------

Good News for all owners of 1993/94 Lexus LS400:
Regarding Sluggish/Slow to move Speedometer and Tach needles (don't move for 20 minutes or only move with a bang on top of the dash). We are pleased to announce that we can now repair this problem. To repair this problem alone is $189. To repair all the problems (backlighting, fuel gauge, partially lit needles and sluggish speedometer/tach needles) the price is $289.

------------------------------------------
Old 01-17-08, 08:59 AM
j stuff
Lexus Champion

195k miles on my ls4, should we change out the bulbs in the cluster too while everything else is getting replaced? How long do these bulbs last
Old 01-21-08, 04:43 AM
nolyaw
Driver School Candidate

I have fixed the lighting issue and slow fuel guage. The tip of my Tach needle is going out, can I simply pop the needle off and replace it with a new one?
Old 01-22-08, 04:41 AM
nolyaw
Driver School Candidate

anyone? Bueler?
Old 02-12-08, 09:11 AM
j stuff
Lexus Champion

Mine was sent off to mr. whizard in canada

Im in Houston, TX so well see how long it takes to come back. Ill report in when it does
Old 02-12-08, 03:41 PM
tripfly
Driver School Candidate

Default Success replacing the Capacitors...Thank You Club Lexus

First time poster.

Several years ago I found this forum looking for some info on LS400 brakes. I had been letting my kids use the LS400 for a while and one day the car wouldn't start and they parked it for almost a year. I retrieved it last week and had to replace a coil pack to get it to run right. But, the dash would not come on. I remembered reading this thread and thought I would give a repair a try.

I replaced C212 and C142 and now I have dash lights and a working fuel gauge

Some observations:

1. Those connectors are tough to get apart!

2. If you can get the dash out, you have done the hard work....sending the unit away to have a couple of Caps soldered for over $150 sure is a good deal for the repair shop. I can understand the desire to have someone else do it if you don't know how to solder but if you know how this job is pretty easy.

3 A lot of discussion on capacitor ratings and what to use. I am not so sure that the hobbyist 85 degree Caps are not good enough. 85 Centigrade is over 180 F. Also, with regard to voltage ratings, the voltage rating is a maximum voltage. I used Caps with 35V ratings and they worked fine....try to get close and use a capacitor with at least as high a voltage rating as the one you took out.

4. Also, Electrolytic Capacitors are sensitive to polarity. If they are installed backwards the dielectric will overheat and breakdown and the cap will fail shortly after it is installed. Electrolytic Capacitors are generally labeled with arrows on the (-) minus leg. The circuit board is also labeled on the minus side.

Thanks again to the folks who took the time to put this info on the site. Anyone in Western North Carolina needing a hand with this can pm me.

Tripfly
Old 02-27-08, 12:19 AM
j stuff
Lexus Champion

Sent my cluster to Mr. Whizard

Got it back today and installed it. WORKS PERFECTLY!

Thanks so much Mr. Whizard you made it so easy! His email responses were extremely fast and he kept me updated.

Much recommended to anyone that wants to ship their unit out to be fixed rather than having to do it themselves.

mrwhizard.com

A++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Old 04-19-08, 05:45 AM
Lexus Cave
Driver School Candidate

How do I take out the instrument cluster? My 194 started out the same way flickers when it is cold, now they just dont come on at al. Please help
Old 04-19-08, 11:12 PM
lex94ls400
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexus Cave
How do I take out the instrument cluster? My 194 started out the same way flickers when it is cold, now they just dont come on at al. Please help
Go to www.lexls.com web site, there is a tutorial on how to remove the instrument cluster. I think you should read this entire thread. Take notes of all the capacitors that mention on the thread and replace those capacitors. You can order the capacitors from digikey.com, mouser.com or newark.com.

Quick Reply: Instrument Cluster Circuit Board is Bad! $1000 bucks!!!