LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Instrument Cluster Circuit Board is Bad! $1000 bucks!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-09, 09:24 PM
dinoB242
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I jus bought a 93 ls400 with no lights at all on the dash so i went out and bought a cluster but this 1 only flash when i turn the key twice and thats it. U think i got another bad cluster or could there be a problem wit my car?
Old 08-11-09, 09:46 AM
McSwine
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm having the total blackout problem on my 2000 LS...does anyone know if the same instructions apply to the second gen models?
Old 08-11-09, 09:47 AM
LILEVO
Advanced

Received 251 Likes on 126 Posts

No.

Totally different
Old 08-12-09, 04:02 PM
love2drive
Driver School Candidate

Hi

I am new here and trying to find a place that can fix the speedometer needles?

Mine use to light up but now they still work, but don't light up.

I am not a do-it-yourself guy so I was hoping you can recommend a good mail order place that I can send my cluster to.

Thanks
Old 08-16-09, 07:27 PM
j stuff
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

READ HERE IF YOU HAVE NO LIGHTS ON YOUR DASH

Here is a post i had back on page 15, you can read my other posts on the same page.

"Sent my cluster to Mr. Whizard
Got it back today and installed it. WORKS PERFECTLY!

Thanks so much Mr. Whizard you made it so easy! His email responses were extremely fast and he kept me updated.

Much recommended to anyone that wants to ship their unit out to be fixed rather than having to do it themselves.
mrwhizard.com
A++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++"
Old 08-31-09, 08:39 PM
unaverse1
Driver School Candidate

Had the same problem with my 1990 lexus ls 400 dash and lights, should have been a recall item. a large percent of owners crapped out on the cluster pack. I found the same year lexus at a salvage yard for 20$, swapped it out myself and all of the guages work but the gas hand (need sending unit in tank). all of that flickerin of the dash lights and guages not working went away. as far as the odometer, my original stopped at 300,000 miles which exceeds mechanical limits on title (exempt). The new one reads 167,000 miles, when you do sell it (even though its a keeper) people know the quality and knows the odo means nothing on a lex!
Old 09-01-09, 01:28 PM
dhamiltonx
Driver School Candidate

Default Backlighting is a know problem with age.

I had the same problem on my 1994 LS 400. On hot days the lighting would work. On cold days it would not. Once I ran the car a while, it got warm and would flicker and finally come on. The milage also stopped when it was not working. I found that it was a slight crack in the circuit. When it was warm it expands and when its cold, it contracts. A Lexus independent mech. referred me to a tv/radio shop that repaired it for about $200. This did not include re-setting the milage. I live in the Atlanta area.
Old 09-02-09, 05:32 PM
GYMTIME
Rookie

I would just like to say thanks. I have never soldered anything, let alone remove an instrument panel before and today I did both. Took about 15minutes to remove the instrument panel out of my 1994 LS400 (I had blinking dash lights). The only hard part was the annoying orange clip.

Took it inside, went to radio shack and bought a 10UF capacitor to replace C212...cost? $1.59

Soldered it in a matter of minutes...back in the car in 5. Total time with travel? About 1 hour.

Works great. Didn't even do the best solder job, real sloppy actually.
Old 09-04-09, 01:00 AM
knceoinc
Driver School Candidate

I need the diagram for a 1994 ls 400
i can fix it my self but need the schmatic
Old 09-05-09, 03:15 AM
vinegaroon
Rookie

Default vinegroon

Originally Posted by GYMTIME
I would just like to say thanks. I have never soldered anything, let alone remove an instrument panel before and today I did both. Took about 15minutes to remove the instrument panel out of my 1994 LS400 (I had blinking dash lights). The only hard part was the annoying orange clip.

Took it inside, went to radio shack and bought a 10UF capacitor to replace C212...cost? $1.59

Soldered it in a matter of minutes...back in the car in 5. Total time with travel? About 1 hour.

Works great. Didn't even do the best solder job, real sloppy actually.
Man, how did you know what capacitor to buy and where to locate it in that total maze of stuff on those boards? I could easily do what you did if I knew
what controlled what. I sent mine off for repair for about $200 with a two-
year guarantee.
Old 09-05-09, 08:45 AM
GYMTIME
Rookie

Originally Posted by vinegaroon
Man, how did you know what capacitor to buy and where to locate it in that total maze of stuff on those boards? I could easily do what you did if I knew
what controlled what. I sent mine off for repair for about $200 with a two-
year guarantee.
They posted which one to buy on here and even on the top of the head of the old capacitor it tells you which one you need. The one I replaced for the blinking lights is C212 so on the circuit board you look for "C212", it's that capacitor. It is in top left area from the big orange clip.

The hardest part is actually just taking out the cluster/putting it back in. Buying the capacitor and soldering it in was easy...even if it was a sloppy job. It cost me a total of $1.59 to fix.
Old 09-11-09, 03:01 PM
DubaiLS400
Driver School Candidate

Default C212 for 5 aed

it was the moment i have waited.. replace the burnt out capacitor...i went to an electronic shop carrying my cluster.. kaboom...twas the first time i saw my gauges work...

Thank you very much .... UKAMATH, LAMSV, and to all the club lexus members..

--dubaiLS400
Old 09-12-09, 08:50 PM
Gtask8
Driver School Candidate

Soooo yeaaaaa!

It all soundss good so far guys.

But, Has anyone found a fixup on the 1990-1993 guages?
I have a 1991, and the gas guage is stuck at half. Through all this reading ive come to conclude that there really is a difference between the two seperate years. Has anyone had any prevail to the 1990 clusters?
Old 09-24-09, 11:39 PM
oh_lol
Driver School Candidate

Hey guys, could you tell me if this capacitor would work?

http://jaycar.com.au/productView.asp...T&SUBCATID=870

Or can anyone recommend a capacitor off that website for me. It's really the only shop that carries this kind of stop in my town
Old 10-05-09, 02:58 PM
lawbut2468
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ukamath
Here is the picture of the new cap that I put on.
[Oops.. the quote did not come out.. But you can find it on Page 6 (post #76) of this thread]

Thank you ukamath and everyone else...

It took 16 years for my '93 to die on me with this problem (instrument cluster light doesn't turn on until the interior of the car has been warmed up.) It was sort of doing that occasionally last winter (in Buffalo NY), but this last few days it's doing it consistently every time I jumped into the car. So I took the instrument cluster out (about 20 minutes), went to my junk box and found a 10uF cap, nipped out the original C212, soldered the 10uF cap in place, spent another 15 minutes to put the cluster back. Wow! the instrument cluster lit up as soon as I inserted my key. The cap I have is a 85C rated, so I believe it will die again after another summer. But hey, as it's a simple fix, I am ready to spend another half hour doing it if the cap fails again, but I will probably look for a better cap perhaps with military spec rating.

Thanks y'all again.

Last edited by lawbut2468; 10-05-09 at 03:01 PM. Reason: quote didn't come out

Quick Reply: Instrument Cluster Circuit Board is Bad! $1000 bucks!!!