LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Instrument Cluster Circuit Board is Bad! $1000 bucks!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-11, 06:51 AM
Nero5337
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Guys, I've been reading through this thread for a while now and have tried various things to fix my gauge cluster. still no luck. Here's the skinny. I have a '93 LS400. I had the blinking needles and no back lighting about 2 years ago and replaced the 3 capacitors that listed (c212, c147, c142) and that fixed my problem for a while. Recently they went out again, and tried the same fix and had no luck. I decided to bite the bullet and pay to get them fixed. I sent them to Jim Walker to get fixed. I had him recondition the needles and repair the problem. When I got them back and installed them in the dash it still didn't work. I sent them back to Jim and he tested them out and said they were fine. So the problem has to be in the car electrical. Can anybody tell me which pins on the connectors supply the voltage to the gauge cluster, so I can start trouble shooting the problem with the car.
Old 04-06-11, 06:42 PM
LILEVO
Advanced

Received 225 Likes on 111 Posts

Does anything in the cluster work? Needles move? Outside temp? Just no backlight or needle light?
Old 04-07-11, 02:01 AM
Nero5337
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LILEVO
Does anything in the cluster work? Needles move? Outside temp? Just no backlight or needle light?
The Speedometer, tach and temp gauge all move, but have no lights. The fuel gauge doesn't work at all the P,N, and R indicators work, but not the rest of the AT indicators. I've done some more testing and found that if I plug in the white connector and then start the car, the needles and back lighting come up. If I then plug the rest of the connectors to the back of the cluster, all my gauges and indicators light up and work. Of course when I turn off the car and try to start it again I'm back to No backlights, fuel gauge, etc....
Old 04-07-11, 06:37 PM
hellaclean
Driver School Candidate

I just bought a 93 LS with 125k miles with this problem and it flickers. Glad I just registered to the site to find out everyone is having the problem. Anyone in the bayarea or sacramento area know how to fix it? I can pay you as I am not savy with electronics on a car.
Old 04-09-11, 04:32 AM
wnyjazz
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Nero5337
The Speedometer, tach and temp gauge all move, but have no lights. The fuel gauge doesn't work at all the P,N, and R indicators work, but not the rest of the AT indicators. I've done some more testing and found that if I plug in the white connector and then start the car, the needles and back lighting come up. If I then plug the rest of the connectors to the back of the cluster, all my gauges and indicators light up and work. Of course when I turn off the car and try to start it again I'm back to No backlights, fuel gauge, etc....
Just bought a '94 LS 400 and it now has the exact same symptoms.

It was working before I had it shipped here from 350 miles away.

EDIT: Just took our first long drive and the temp climbed into the low 50's. After 15 minutes or so of driving at highway speeds 'pop!' it came on.

Last edited by wnyjazz; 04-09-11 at 09:56 AM.
Old 04-19-11, 11:27 AM
hellaclean
Driver School Candidate

If any of you are from the westcoast region, there is a company called bba on ebay that does this repair for $80. They have a special going on for upgraded 2 day air shipping for free so you don't have to wait long. Repair is estimated to take 3 business days.
Old 04-19-11, 12:39 PM
LILEVO
Advanced

Im also repairing clusters. Jeeperz360 on ebay for a more personalized repair.

69.99 free ups ground. Same day repair.
Old 04-27-11, 07:49 AM
BOOGEYMAN4
Rookie

Originally Posted by LILEVO
Im also repairing clusters. Jeeperz360 on ebay for a more personalized repair.

69.99 free ups ground. Same day repair.
Does your repair include fixing the speedo needles and tacho?
If so let me know asap and I'll be sending you my cluster!
Old 04-27-11, 07:53 AM
LILEVO
Advanced

For partial illum or functionality? If they dont work they have to be replaced and I dont have any spares
Old 05-03-11, 12:32 PM
hellaclean
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hellaclean
If any of you are from the westcoast region, there is a company called bba on ebay that does this repair for $80. They have a special going on for upgraded 2 day air shipping for free so you don't have to wait long. Repair is estimated to take 3 business days.
Just wanted to update you guys on this company on ebay. There name is bba-remaninc and they do excellent work. They repaired my needles, sluggish fuel gauge and the flickering light problem. I just received my cluster back and everything works great. Total time for service and shipping was only 5 business days!
Old 05-09-11, 03:43 PM
Riverwatch
Driver School Candidate

I think we should all find one lawyer and file a class action. A $50,000 car should not have a problem like this. It was hot today and my 1994 LS400 which I just bought with 80K, the panel went dark every gauge but the gas gauge is working but are not lit. It is almost 80 degrees out side so it ain't the cold. It is **** poor over top unnecessry bells and wistels that I was afraid of went I bought it. How can they not take responsibilty for an obvious defect?
Old 05-09-11, 05:25 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Riverwatch
I think we should all find one lawyer and file a class action. A $50,000 car should not have a problem like this. It was hot today and my 1994 LS400 which I just bought with 80K, the panel went dark every gauge but the gas gauge is working but are not lit. It is almost 80 degrees out side so it ain't the cold. It is **** poor over top unnecessry bells and wistels that I was afraid of went I bought it. How can they not take responsibilty for an obvious defect?
because it's a 17 year old car and if every manufacturer made cars that ran perfectly forever why would you ever buy a new one
Old 05-09-11, 08:16 PM
Riverwatch
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
because it's a 17 year old car and if every manufacturer made cars that ran perfectly forever why would you ever buy a new one
Uh so you saying Lexus did it on purpose so we would all pay $50,000 for new cars over a $1000.00 gauge panel. What brilliant marketing! Maybe next time they'll have the steering wheel come off in your hands. Oh that won't work that will only cost you your life, then you won't be able to buy another one.
Old 05-10-11, 05:35 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 313 Likes on 270 Posts

He's not saying they did it on purpose, he's saying your car is 17 years old and parts break. NOTHING is made to last forever, especially electronic capacitors that go through all the heat and cold cycles every year for 17 years. Every vehicle made has at least a few common problems. You talk about getting a lawyer, is the circuit board a life threatening issue? NO. This is just like any other car, things break. It's just you bought a Lexus not a Geo Prizm, parts are more expensive. That's the price of luxury. If you read this thread, and many others, you can find dirrections for a DIY fix which will cost less then $10. (alot better then $1000) That's why these threads are made, to give people info on how to fix their own car and save money. Anyway, there are links that's already posted in this thread on how to fix it, give it a shot.
Old 05-12-11, 07:41 AM
nurvcom
Rookie

my cluster lights up good just temp needles tip not lighting up and tachometer stopped working how much would it cost to fix my cluster

Quick Reply: Instrument Cluster Circuit Board is Bad! $1000 bucks!!!