LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Instrument Cluster Circuit Board is Bad! $1000 bucks!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-11, 09:37 AM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by nurvcom
my cluster lights up good just temp needles tip not lighting up and tachometer stopped working how much would it cost to fix my cluster
Had mine done with these people. Good Work.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lexus...#ht_3155wt_822
Old 05-13-11, 10:00 PM
hellaclean
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnyg66
Had mine done with these people. Good Work.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lexus...#ht_3155wt_822
I agree. They do excellent work and fast turn around time.
Old 05-24-11, 07:27 PM
nmogden
Driver School Candidate

Hey everyone,

I just bought my first LS400. It is a 1999 and I have to say I already love the car!

One bad thing though, the tachomoter does not work until the car is fully warmed up. Unfortunately, I was not able to detect this problem before buying the car because it was always fully warmed up (tricky sellers). All of the other gauges work perfectly and the whole dash is still extremely bright.

It seems like this is a pretty common problem for earlier LS400's, but pretty uncommon for the 98-00 models. What are my options here? Does anyone know of a good repair service?
Old 05-25-11, 07:25 AM
nmogden
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by nmogden
Hey everyone,

I just bought my first LS400. It is a 1999 and I have to say I already love the car!

One bad thing though, the tachomoter does not work until the car is fully warmed up. Unfortunately, I was not able to detect this problem before buying the car because it was always fully warmed up (tricky sellers). All of the other gauges work perfectly and the whole dash is still extremely bright.

It seems like this is a pretty common problem for earlier LS400's, but pretty uncommon for the 98-00 models. What are my options here? Does anyone know of a good repair service?
After talking to a few mechanics and the previous owner, the tachomoter simply gets "stuck" and will start working if you tap the dashboard above it. Still kind of weird, but not as serious as I imagined.
Old 05-25-11, 09:21 AM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 313 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by nmogden
After talking to a few mechanics and the previous owner, the tachomoter simply gets "stuck" and will start working if you tap the dashboard above it. Still kind of weird, but not as serious as I imagined.
That's not too weird, it's actually another common problem. Someone here, I can't remember exactly who, drilled a tiny hole into the cluster and inserted some kind of pin to stop the needle from going all the way down and getting stuck. I'm sure you can find the thread if ya search for it. Not sure but it might even be in this thread somewhere.

I found the thread I was talking about. The pics are gone but check out post #30 in this link, you'll get the idea.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ot-work-2.html

Last edited by deanshark; 05-26-11 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Found info
Old 05-27-11, 06:43 PM
nmogden
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by deanshark
That's not too weird, it's actually another common problem. Someone here, I can't remember exactly who, drilled a tiny hole into the cluster and inserted some kind of pin to stop the needle from going all the way down and getting stuck. I'm sure you can find the thread if ya search for it. Not sure but it might even be in this thread somewhere.

I found the thread I was talking about. The pics are gone but check out post #30 in this link, you'll get the idea.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ot-work-2.html
Thanks for the help and follow-up! I checked with a few repair shops and it seems like a $150 - $200 repair. After driving the car some, the tach needle isn't that stubborn and it will work correctly with a gentle tap on the dashboard. If it gets any worse though, I will probably just use the method you linked to above.
Old 06-17-11, 10:20 PM
DonCorleone
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/5072566-post289.html

Originally Posted by Amskeptic
Partially lit needle picture tutorial
Thanks! Just used this to fix my partially lit tach needle. The tip of the speedo needle was delaminated as well so I did that too. Doesn't look great up close and open but once installed it's awesome.
Old 09-07-11, 01:25 AM
nadolap
Driver School Candidate

On ebay you can buy instrument cluster repair for $90 you mail in your cluster(you can drive without it just no instruments)you pay shipping to him, he mails back free. Cost me total with 2 day shipping $150. Lifetime warranty it fixes bad gauges and if it doesn't light up when cold. DEALER WANTED $1000 IT CAN COST YOU LESS IF YOU SHIP STANDARD MAIL. DOES NOT FIX UNLIT NEEDLES JUST BAD GAUGES AND NOT WORKING WHEN COLD ISSUES

Last edited by nadolap; 09-07-11 at 01:30 AM.
Old 10-20-11, 06:59 PM
ViLLaNLS
Driver School Candidate

i just made a post on this im having the same problem my cluster works fine but it does not light up checked all fuses and power and ground are good also..im guessing its the circuit board but also somebody changed the orange plug on the harness that goes into the cluster in my car im not sure which year ls plug that they put in my car and now im stuck
Old 10-20-11, 09:46 PM
SkulCracka
Pole Position

check your post i sugested it might be something simple like the dimmer ****? butt there is also a 3 dollar fix for the cluster. if you can solder.
Old 11-22-11, 02:35 PM
seagates5
Driver School Candidate

you can also get a circuit board from a car junk yard...i got one for $20
Old 11-22-11, 03:14 PM
deanshark
Pole Position

Received 313 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by seagates5
you can also get a circuit board from a car junk yard...i got one for $20
If you could have gotten an LS400 gauge cluster for $20, you should have picked up 10 of them. The cheapest I've ever seen was $85 with a broken glass. Average is about $125, and you'll probably have the same issues. That's why $3 and fix it yourself is the way to go.
Old 01-10-12, 11:10 AM
tom131
Driver School Candidate

Talking Instrument cluster flickering problem

I had the same problem in my '93 Ls400.
dealer wanted $2K-$2.5K to fix it. I did it for $210.00!
Here is the story.
Yes it is temp sensitive because the problem is a power supply that takes longer to build up voltage when cold. Caused by bad and old parts.
I pulled out th cluster and sent it toCircuit board mechanics in So. Carolina. They returned it in one week. I put it back in and works great no matter what the Temp is. Like new!
Drop a note to me and I'll give you the info. Don't think I'm supposed to give that info on the forum since it is like advertizing for the company.
tomlin.ulrich@verizon.net
Old 01-10-12, 05:06 PM
moat
Driver

Default mrwhizard can fix instrument cluster

This guy will fix gen one instrument cluster (all issues will be addressed):

http://www.mrwhizard.com/
Old 01-16-12, 07:36 AM
tom131
Driver School Candidate

Call Circuit Board Mechanics at 800 547 2049 or 864 641 0564
or go to circuitboardmechaincs.com

Talk to Lee sales rep
or for sure talk to the tech Ed. He is most familiar with the problem and fixes the pc board.
He can explain what is happening.

I did not have the problem of mileage change on the spedo but I bet they can fix that too.
Good luck.

Call me at 410 302 1322 if you need help geting the cluster out of the dash.

tom131

Quick Reply: Instrument Cluster Circuit Board is Bad! $1000 bucks!!!