LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Instrument Cluster Circuit Board is Bad! $1000 bucks!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-03, 06:54 PM
techlexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can get the board remanufactured with correct mileage reading from Mikado Technologies for $300. My repair shop uses them all the time.
Old 12-23-03, 09:42 PM
Jim Walker
Driver School Candidate

This is not a commercial add, I just want people to know that there are options out there such as that San Francisco company as well as my company here in Fresno, California. You don't have to pay an arm and a leg at the Lexus dealer, at least as far as these problems are concerned

moderator significantly edited comments. Jim, despite your comment, much of what you discussed read very much as an advertisement for the services your company performs. If you'd like to become a vendor and advertise on ClubLexus, please send an email to advertising@clublexus.com

Last edited by DaveGS4; 01-05-04 at 10:09 PM.
Old 02-04-04, 10:51 PM
sonbum1
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 1990 LS400 I don't have the problem of lights not coming on but rather gauges that don't work (gas gauge) or the speedometer in cold temps (yes it does get cold in SoCal) is slow to work. I could use some help with the gas gauge, I replaced the whole cluster, and the gas gauge still doesn't work, the only way I don't run out of fuel is because the orange empty light still works.
Also in colder temps my stereo does not turn on. i still have the factory pioneer stereo. may be a similar problem. Any help for me out there

Last edited by sonbum1; 02-04-04 at 10:56 PM.
Old 02-19-04, 10:19 PM
tthom
Driver School Candidate

Talking Fixed the problem today

Worked perfectly ordered my cap from Newark, got a fine tip solder iron and solder from Radio shack; and went to work. It worked great I followed the instructions Ukamath and others had provided. The only part in question was which side of the cap was Negative, on the type I bought it was the short leg side which is also marked w/ a shaded area on that side. Thanks for all the help guys it was great to see the lights come on as soon as I started my car!!!!

Last edited by tthom; 02-19-04 at 10:21 PM.
Old 03-05-04, 10:25 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 360 Likes on 230 Posts

The soarer has the same problems (japanese SC) and the same capacitor gives them problems. most people replace the gauge and it still doesnt work because the gauge is usually good and the capacitor is the problem.

the instructions earlier in this thread are clear, and the job is an easy one. if the needles fail to light after changing the capacitor and you are sure you have it in right, THEN consider a new gauge, but most likely you simply have a bad cap. Caps run about 5 bucks.
Old 03-31-04, 10:07 AM
damon
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Fuel Gauge

If your gauge is slow to react or stays on zero , the cap you need to focus on is C-142.
Value: 4.7 uf 25v

pwgtang found this awhile back & I can verify that mine now works due to its replacement. He is an EE , so he knows his stuff.

all other cluster functions are original and still working fine.
94 LS
damon
Old 04-10-04, 05:27 PM
JPI Racing
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great stuff guys. I don't have to send them out for repair anymore.
JPI
Old 04-16-04, 01:44 AM
kpgray
Driver School Candidate

Default LS400 dash light probs.

Wow! I just joined this site looking for some solutions to my '94 LS400 intermittent (for now) dash light probs. Boy, did I get a lot of info - Thanks to everyone.
However, I am not going to pull my dash myself and risk messing something up.
The dealer, Magnussen's in Fremont, CA, told me it was a mercury switch that was used in the older Lexuses and that it just 'needed to warm up'. The fix, which entailed replacing the circuit boards was quoted as $2,400!
I have not seen any mention of a mercury switch in any of these threads, so I'm guessing the dealer is off-base.
I have submitted a complaint to the NHTSA but from what I've been reading I don't expect much from them.
I'm tempted to take a drive to Fresno to visit Jim Walker - if Jim can arrange to do the work while I wait?
I'd like to find someone in the Fremont, CA area that is qualified to do this repair at a reasonable price.
Thanks for your help.
Old 05-13-04, 03:09 PM
suxel400
Driver School Candidate

Default LS 400 speedometer needles, gas gauge, and backlight repair

I'm new here so I don't know if this was covered I don't think so...I was on lexusowners.com and sent my speedometer to a place that was recomended on there.
Not only did they fix my intermitent lighting but also the gas gauge, and my needles. I sent it to them because of this reason. No one else said they could fix the needles.
All of this for 350.00. In 1 Day!
I found them here on the web... www.dashusa.com The phone number is (888)9099473

Hope this helps,
John
Old 05-14-04, 01:45 PM
Lex Lexor
Driver School Candidate

Default DASH....

Just call the guy at DASH and plan to overnite mine on Monday. He said he could turn it around in a day (or so). Fixes everything (including needles) for $350.00. Now....could anyone e-mail me some pictures/instructions on getting the #%&@ panel out of the car without destroying it... Any help would be appreciated. I have a '93 with 186+K on it and it still looks brand new - just has a lousy instrument panel.

BTW, my e-mail is gotgrits@sc.rr.com
Old 06-01-04, 11:03 AM
pfsacer
Driver

I just got to this tread, and are having problems with the gauges as well, although different.

My problems are that the rpm meter is at 0rpm at idle, after take off it will work.
This happened slowly, first it registered 600 rpm at idle (they checked at the delaer and said the engine rpm was ok at 800) after that within a week it went to 400 rpm and now it is at 0.

Is there a way to get this fixed (calibrating ??)

Also my temp gauge is stuck somewhere in the middle.

I have a 1996 LS400

Hope somebody can help me with this
Old 06-21-04, 10:18 AM
Slexus
Driver School Candidate

Smile Having Problem with Central Console LED readout

I have 1994 LS400, the problem that I have is the LED Display of Temperature setting (for A/C) and the Clock kind of smear (spread out) that I can not read them (problem will go away if inside Temp is high say 97 F plus).

I will replace all Capacitors that Ukamath and LamSV mentioned on page 8 of this thread.

My question is which component that might cause the problem that I have??

Thank you very much for all helps.

Old 06-23-04, 03:14 PM
fpharryc
Driver School Candidate

You need to replace the LED panel. Not anything else. The panel is available from several vendors. The cost is probably some where around $150 plus your labor.
Old 06-23-04, 04:26 PM
Slexus
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by fpharryc
You need to replace the LED panel. Not anything else. The panel is available from several vendors. The cost is probably some where around $150 plus your labor.
Thank you for your input fpharryc. You might be right, but this is temperature related. The LED is perfectly okay when inside temp is above 97F. I think I am going to replace the Capacitors that Ukamath and LamSV mentioned on page 8 of this thread if the problem is not go away then I will replace the LED panel.

I will let you know the result.

Thank you again.
Old 06-24-04, 01:27 PM
LexLS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How to remove the instrument cluster

I just put up a tutorial on how to remove the instrument cluster for 90-94 LS400's: http://www.lexls.com/instrumentcluster.html

So I was all ready to replace my capacitors when I realized that the majority of this thread is talking about August 1992 - 1994 model LS400's. These have a totally different circuit board design with different capacitors. I actually found that most of my capacitors looked like the new ones I bought, many of them were 105 degree C rated. I haven't heard much from 1990-1992 people. I have a 1991 and my display lights up just fine 99% of the time, it's only below zero days where the lights don't glow at full power instantly. The main problem is that my temp and fuel gauges are not functioning as well as they used to. I think these problems are more of an issue for 90-92 LS400's. The repair manual points toward the power source unit on the back of the instrument cluster. So I'm guessing that a few capacitors on that board are not functioning up to par, just like the 92-94 models. Parts wear out after 13+ years right .

Has anyone with a 1990 - August 1992 LS400 fixed the fuel and temp gauge problems in the instrument cluster? If so, what did you replace? I'm hoping its not the capacitors under the piece of metal on the power source unit!

I've got parts on the way and plan to do some testing along with the freeze test with canned air. I'll probably just recap the entire power source unit circuit board, but it would be nice to hear from someone with experience. Anyone? Please list the year of your LS when replying.

Quick Reply: Instrument Cluster Circuit Board is Bad! $1000 bucks!!!