LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Instrument Cluster Circuit Board is Bad! $1000 bucks!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-04, 02:59 PM
vinegaroon
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad curcuit board

Well, I also have a '93 LS400, and for the past two years or so, my speedo and tach were very iffy when
the car was running. Sometimes one would work, sometimes the other, and sometimes neither. But
sometimes they both would work. Then the lighted wand of the speedo went dark too! Was a *****
to try and read the speed by seeing where that blackened needle was in relation to the still lighted
numbers. I finally decided to look for a used cluster. I am good enough at disassembly to take the
original cluster out and try the used one to be sure it works. It did, so I got it for $150. But after a week
or so, the problem began to recur. This really made me wonder if the problem was outside the circuit
boards. Oh, by the way, there was the problem with the odometer being over 100K miles off, but I will
try to live with that. I decided to try and do some swapping of the circuit boards (one must be careful
wnen disconnecting the wire harnesses, but it really isn't very difficult). Once the circuit boards are off,
the entire unit can be disassembled piece by piece. It might be that the problem is in the small circuit
board rather than the large, complex one. If you have purchased a used cluster, you can try swapping
them around to see if they work better. And, by the way, just today a Lexus mechanic said that one of
the reasons for cluster malfunction is that the voltage being fed into the guages is really a little too much
for them to handle well. He said to turn the illumination control down a notch or two to reduce the current
being fed into the cluster. And I also found out by experimentation that each needle is lighted by its own
little circuit board on the back. Each little cluster can be removed and replaced individually if one has a
spare that works (another reason to get a used cluster that is working). That's how I fixed my dark speedo
needle.
Old 07-06-04, 03:05 PM
vinegaroon
Rookie

Default Bad curcuit board

Well, I also have a '93 LS400, and for the past two years or so, my speedo and tach were very iffy when
the car was running. Sometimes one would work, sometimes the other, and sometimes neither. But
sometimes they both would work. Then the lighted wand of the speedo went dark too! Was a *****
to try and read the speed by seeing where that blackened needle was in relation to the still lighted
numbers. I finally decided to look for a used cluster. I am good enough at disassembly to take the
original cluster out and try the used one to be sure it works. It did, so I got it for $150. But after a week
or so, the problem began to recur. This really made me wonder if the problem was outside the circuit
boards. Oh, by the way, there was the problem with the odometer being over 100K miles off, but I will
try to live with that. I decided to try and do some swapping of the circuit boards (one must be careful
wnen disconnecting the wire harnesses, but it really isn't very difficult). Once the circuit boards are off,
the entire unit can be disassembled piece by piece. It might be that the problem is in the small circuit
board rather than the large, complex one. If you have purchased a used cluster, you can try swapping
them around to see if they work better. And, by the way, just today a Lexus mechanic said that one of
the reasons for cluster malfunction is that the voltage being fed into the guages is really a little too much
for them to handle well. He said to turn the illumination control down a notch or two to reduce the current
being fed into the cluster. And I also found out by experimentation that each needle is lighted by its own
little circuit board on the back. Each little cluster can be removed and replaced individually if one has a
spare that works (another reason to get a used cluster that is working). That's how I fixed my dark speedo
needle.
Old 10-03-04, 09:19 AM
bn268
Driver School Candidate

Talking

I had my 94 LS400 cluster repaired by LexusTech.com ,They did a very good job with 2 days turn around
for me. You guys better check that place out. My dash light was all dark and the RPM needle was inactive
I had asked other sites on the web,none of those can fix the problem with the my RPM needle
Finally, a Lexus mechanic told me about LexusTech.com and that place fixed my dash problems. I 'm happy.
Old 10-03-04, 09:14 PM
vinegaroon
Rookie

Default cluster problems

There is a man named Jim Walker in Fresno who works on clusters for '93 and '94 Lexuses. He
guarantees all the work he does and charges $225. I think he even has some sort of business
ad on this site. His e-mail is jimlwalker@sbcglobal.net. Check with him before you spend a lot of
bucks. I am sending my cluster to him tomorrow.
Old 10-27-04, 12:54 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 322 Likes on 280 Posts

I wouldn't worry about the mileage on the odometer. Just get Lexus to verify in their service documentation that the circuit board was replaced at XXXXX miles and reset to zero. If you loose the receipt, it will remain on their service computer database.
Old 12-21-04, 04:36 PM
Lexicon1
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Lignts out on dash question-affecting other lights and repair question

Thanks to all of you for your great repair info,
I will order the many capacitors and one transistor that is mentioned in planetsoarer, its the TR109,
but has anyone had a problem with the
lights that light the radio and temperature buttons,
at night, the entire center area where all of these buttons are , are dark,
I am hoping that replacing the capacitors mentioned above will also address this problem.
Ive got the fuel gauge, flashing dash light syndrome ...like many others.
Thanks
So, in summary, will replacing these caps also fix my dark buttons???

I was thinking of replacing all the c216-c220 SMCs, but there is no room to replace them all.
as in Ukamaths picture
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ht=dash+repair
Old 12-21-04, 10:31 PM
kpgray
Driver School Candidate

Default Bad cluster

Does anyone know if a class-action suit would be applicable in trying to get Lexus to pay (or help pay) for the repairs for all these dash light problems? I know the dealership denies any responsibility for anything, but this is a problem with quite a few '93-'94 LS400s. Obviously, this was not designed properly and I would think Lexus should do something, at least for 'customer satisfaction' if nothing else.
I'm debating on how to repair my dash light probs on my '94 LS400. I considered shipping my dash to Jim Walker in Fresno, but am concerned that after spending the money to get that done that another capacitor will go bad, too. Therefore, I'm thinking about just paying the dealer to replace to entire board.
I'd like to find out if anyone is an attorney, or knows of one, and can tell me if a class-action suit is something to check into.
Old 12-22-04, 10:18 AM
vinegaroon
Rookie

I have not thought about a suit, but I intend to write to the head of the Lexus division to com-
plain about the failure problem and the exorbitant cost to have it fixed. If Lexus wants to keep
satisfied customers, then there should be a less expensive way to fix what I too have found
to be an all to common failure. Either lower the cost of those boards or offer some kind of
fix for them. In my conversations with Jim Walker, I think he fixes all the problems (possibly
even potential future failures) under his guarantee. He has fixed all of my problems except
failure of the tach and speedometer. It appears that is a real bugaboo to work out. I think
the dealers replace the big board and both needles when they do it. They don't seem to have
any expertise in repair, just replacement. Try contacting Lexustech.com on the web. They
also do repair for a lot less than dealers, and they repair the two big guages also. I'm going
to call them when I finish this message. I have also contacted other high-end car sellers,
and it just appears that digital electronic dash components fail over time whether it's BMW,
Infiniti, Acura or Cadillacs. But I'm still going to give Lexus a piece of my mind if I can get a
name and address for the man in charge.
Old 01-26-05, 11:23 AM
vanenglish
Driver School Candidate

Default Ebay solution

I was looking to buy a '94 from a private seller, and his car has this problem. I found what sounds like a good solution on ebay. Someone says he can fix the problem for $180 plus $20 shipping. This means, of course, that you'd have to remove and then reinstall your instrument panel, or have someone else do it.
Old 01-28-05, 12:09 AM
vinegaroon
Rookie

Hello vanenglish. Another board with a problem I see. I have had mine worked on by
jimlwalker@sbcglobal.net. He was able to fix everything (blinking lights, faulty gas guage),
but he has not yet found what causes the speedo and tach to not function, if that is your
problem. Jim was great for me, because I had an extra cluster and different parts were
going back and forth. I'm pretty good with my hands, and I took the chance that I could take
the cluster out, and it is really not too bad. The outer ring which houses the odometers is
held in place by three screws. Put the steering wheel in the extreme low position (I turn the
key to "ON" and leave the door open so it will quit beeping) and gently pull outward on the
housing. It's a little tight, but it will come out. Disconnect the wire clusters on each side,
and the first part is done. The cluster is held by four screws. The ones you want go through
white plastic as that is the color of the housing of the cluster. The tough part is disconnecting
the three big wire bundles from the back. Not too much room, and depressing the release
button while pulling is difficult, but they will come out. I have taken mine out about ten times,
and this is the only tough part. Once again, not much wiggle room when getting this cluster
out. Can't remember whether the bottom comes out first or the top. Try each way and you
will see which way works. Good luck if you want to try it.
Old 01-28-05, 08:40 AM
Big Sarge
Driver School Candidate

New to the Club and this my first post to the forum. I have a 94 which I wouldn't trade for the world. Great car. I've had some "preventive maintenance" completed and I'm satisfied with the results. However, my gas gauge is starting to be moody. Sometimes it works other times I have to wait an hour for it to register. From the responses I've seen thus far, I'm looking at possible circuit board problems. I did see that there were some options to fix the issue, but by no means am I good with my hands. Looking for ways to fix this b4 the entire dash goes out. Suggestions?
Old 01-28-05, 12:47 PM
vinegaroon
Rookie

Well, Big Sarge, jimlwalker@sbcglobal.net can fix that gas guage very easily. It is a capacitor
on the larger of the two boards in the cluster. You can read a thread I posted last evening about how to get the cluster out, and then you can send it to Jim. I trust him because he really helped
me. I think he will also check out and fix any other potential problems you have for one fixed
price, and he guarantees it too. Contact him, and see if you can't try and take the cluster out.
Contact me if you have trouble doing it.
Old 01-28-05, 05:44 PM
Big Sarge
Driver School Candidate

Vinegaroon,

I'll give it a shot once the weather gets a little warmer. Another question. I'm no mechanic but I'm getting vibration while driving right around the 65 to 75 mph mark. I rotated my tires and still have the same issue. I'm told that it could be a wheel balance issue. Does anybody agree with that. If so, I know the next move.
Old 01-29-05, 03:50 AM
bn268
Driver School Candidate

Default LS400 instrument cluster problems saga

Jim Walker is very good at fixing LS400 cluster but I agree with Vinegaroon that Jim could not fix or has not figure out the failure of Tach and Speedo gauge yet, this was true
To my case, I finally got a tip from a Mechanic working for a local Lexus Dealer near by my home about a Electronic shop called www.LexusTech.com
and they did it for me.
I am quite happy and impressed by them.
By the way, I heard that fuel gauge misreading is easy to fix but in some rare cases, it is the most difficult to fix. This proved to me already. I had 2 places attempted to fix this problem for me, but unsuccessful. Finally LexusTech.com did it for me.
Old 01-29-05, 05:59 AM
sevenka
Driver School Candidate

-ADMINISTRATION.

Last edited by O. L. T.; 01-29-05 at 07:44 AM.

Quick Reply: Instrument Cluster Circuit Board is Bad! $1000 bucks!!!