LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

From crash to custom ls400

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-09, 06:09 PM
rustylexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no it doesnt sound rasp it sounds clean. i get compliments about the way it sounds all the time. the bumper is just temporary till i can afford a aftermarket one i like or maybe i will make one out of paper mache. i like my lexus trust me i had big ideas to make it clean and nice but after the accident there is no point in spending thousands of dollars (on top of the five grand the repair shop wanted) to make the car the way i originally pictured. there are plenty of cars on the road that have non functional hood scoops that look good. like i said i still have to put body filler before the hood is done.
Old 02-17-09, 06:29 PM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

as i sit here reading some of the responses from the regular members on here it makes me laugh, this guy has ruffled so many feathers by this one post...who cares what this guy does with HIS car...its his to do whatever he wants to with....this is directed at one person mostly and i dont even have to say his name
Old 02-17-09, 06:31 PM
2turbo4u
Lexus Test Driver

Please remove the scoop, please remove the emblem, please remove the eyelids, please remove yourself from this project and go to www.honda-tuning.com.
Old 02-17-09, 07:18 PM
rustylexus
Driver School Candidate

why does everyone keep insisting that im trying to rice out my lexus. im turning it into a japanese muscle car. im gonna get some black american racing wheels, racing slicks in the rear, and maybe even make a wheelie bar out of an old shopping kart. im gonna take a better picture soon.
Old 02-17-09, 07:37 PM
Li Ls4
Lexus Champion

so since u want to turn the lex into a muscle car, what plans do u have for whats under the hood
Old 02-17-09, 07:51 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by python
as i sit here reading some of the responses from the regular members on here it makes me laugh, this guy has ruffled so many feathers by this one post...who cares what this guy does with HIS car...its his to do whatever he wants to with....this is directed at one person mostly and i dont even have to say his name
wow. so subtle you is.

go back and reread what i said, in essence, i told him i thought the work he did to the hood and the badge looked like crap, and that I don't like them, nor do I believe they deserve a place on a car. I didnt anywhere tell him what to do.

we've had this discussion before, and if you wanna take pot shots at me do it in your own thread, or take it to PM. Public Forum=Open place for OPEN discussion, positive and negative commentary, and pretty much everything short of personal attacks PROVIDED it's on topic.
Old 02-17-09, 07:58 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by rustylexus
why does everyone keep insisting that im trying to rice out my lexus. im turning it into a japanese muscle car. im gonna get some black american racing wheels, racing slicks in the rear, and maybe even make a wheelie bar out of an old shopping kart. im gonna take a better picture soon.
it's not the idea, its the execution. the work from the pictures seems to be very shoddily done and you can get a used white OEM hood for as little as $200-300 from your local Georgian wreckers and then put a FUNCTIONAL hood scoop/vent on top. then, to make it even BETTER, instead of being Ricey but better looking, you can go and supercharge the car, or at the very very least do a ram-air intake. the possibilities are endless....

you said a muscle car, most muscle cars i've seen/worked on didn't have non-functional hood scoops/vents

remember, RICE=Race Inspired Cosmetic Enhancements.

Do it once.
Do it Right.
Old 02-17-09, 08:04 PM
rustylexus
Driver School Candidate

well im gonna start with exhaust. i like the sound with straight pipes but i can tell a difference in power loss without any back pressure. my neighbor has a exhaust system off a dodge viper i was thinking about but it might not fit under my car. i use to have a wrangler with a muffler off a 95 viper and it was the deepest sounding 4 banger i have ever heard so im curious to hear it on my lexus. i would also like to get a chip. has anyone done the resister on the AIT sensor?
Old 02-17-09, 08:09 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

well im gonna start with exhaust. i like the sound with straight pipes but i can tell a difference in power loss without any back pressure. my neighbor has a exhaust system off a dodge viper i was thinking about but it might not fit under my car. i use to have a wrangler with a muffler off a 95 viper and it was the deepest sounding 4 banger i have ever heard so im curious to hear it on my lexus. i would also like to get a chip. has anyone done the resister on the AIT sensor?
....really.....

first off, the "viper" exhaust isnt really any better than stock unless it has reduced stock backpressure and the piping isn't crushed to hell. i havent personally inspected a viper OEM exhaust but you'd prolly be better off getting a custom x-pipe setup made from any exhaust shop with a couple of magnaflows or flowmasters.

and the IAT sensor is in no way a "Chip" a "chip" refers to rechipping the ECU in order to maximize it's a/f and timing curves for the modifications done to the car. which are so far, none. the IAT crap is useless and just causes the engine to think the air is colder, and runs richer. useless because the fuzzy logic ecu will eventually (quickly) start to compensate and you'll be right back where you started. that's also not a mod, it's cheap and useless.
Old 02-17-09, 09:05 PM
EUBT
Driver

Cool

Rusty my man, I finallty get it. You want to create a beefy Japanese road hog for the short track or maybe a qtr miler! Not all that crazy. At one time I was going to drop in a 5 L, install skid plates and a winch on my beater Volvo to take into the bush but decided the frame wasn't up to it and would have to change out too much to get better clearance. So if that's what you've got planned, goodonya! Keep the pics comin' and update us on your progress. One thing's for sure, not many if any of us have seen this kind of Lexus animal!

Oh yeah, and forget about the dingle ***** and curb feelers unless you want to make a statement!

Last edited by EUBT; 02-17-09 at 09:13 PM.
Old 02-17-09, 09:20 PM
chrispy

Received 79 Likes on 37 Posts

I want to do some kick flips off that hood with my Tech Deck.
Old 02-17-09, 09:20 PM
Rocan
Pole Position

dude... why?

just... why?!

ok.. fine you did the work yourself...

your gonna destroy your engine with straight pipes, it in NO WAY passes the smog test, your work looks like complete ****... its an ugly square piece of junk strapped to your hood... christ man... i have nothing to say...
Old 02-17-09, 09:21 PM
Rocan
Pole Position

Originally Posted by chrispy
I want to do some kick flips off that hood with my Tech Deck.
i want to hit that hood with a sledge hammer and cry myself to sleep.
Old 02-18-09, 01:12 AM
20sburning
Driver

I think we should give the car to Top Gear and have them explode it in some crazy *** way
Old 02-18-09, 05:20 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

lmfao!....rusty,get ur body work done, paint ur car black, lower it, and put the exact same rims as p/d....everyones car should look like his...otherwise he just goes on and on, ooops im diggin another hole

Quick Reply: From crash to custom ls400