LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Transmission: Drain or Flush?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-09, 11:49 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by MEANDAFAKA
WTF, the god damn filter with the gasket is like 20 dollars. why are everybody want to just clean the screen?? autozone, napa, and any other store sell the filter kit which include the csreen, and gasket for ONLY 20 dollars. go do it right, and stop being cheap.
because unlike a paper filter the screen NORMALLY doesnt get clogged up/broken, so there is no reason to change it.

it's the OEM equivalent of a K&N filter, you wouldnt spend extra to get a washable filter then just change it every time would you?
Old 03-07-09, 01:30 PM
MEANDAFAKA
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^when you drain and fill, or if you are changing the gasket. the kit comes with both so why not. plus when you take the pan off, you need to clean out those magnet that is on the pan. so while you have the pan off, mind as well change the filter BECAUSE the filter comes with the gasket.
Old 03-07-09, 01:52 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

thats IF you use a gasket instead of RTV.
Old 03-07-09, 02:31 PM
margarita
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
thats IF you use a gasket instead of RTV.
i think i have a gasket (erp, the tranny pan does). that's what the mechanic who looked at it said. "it' a leaking transmission pan gasket." whatever it is, it is original, and old, old.
Old 03-07-09, 02:31 PM
MEANDAFAKA
Lead Lap

thats what the previous owner did. and it took me FOREVER to remove it cause it like STUCK on to the trans. the gasket is so much easier to remove
Old 03-07-09, 02:41 PM
margarita
Rookie

thats what the previous owner did. and it took me FOREVER to remove it cause it like STUCK on to the trans. the gasket is so much easier to remove
that's what another poster said. that if it were packing material, it could be difficult to break the seal.

another question about the transmission (while I am at it). in the past year, i noticed much more of a clunking sound when shifting gears. i've started warming up for about a minute in the morning to see if that would make a difference, and more or less babying the car along.

every now and then, i will notice the shift was way too harsh. happened today where I put it in reverse and it felt like the rpms where too high when it went in and it kind of jumped into reverse.

can new transmission fluid make THAT much difference in how a car shifts? or is this an indication that i will have more serious transmission problems in near future? during this past year, for the first time, i felt a few 'slips' of the transmission. i was driving at low speed around town and i felt it maybe three times about six months ago (all over the space of maybe a week). no slips since.

between that and the less than smooth shifting, i am wondering if it is time to sell (to someone who wants a hobby car).
Old 03-07-09, 05:14 PM
Bradster
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Time for a new tranny mount?
Old 03-07-09, 06:09 PM
margarita
Rookie

Originally Posted by Bradster
Time for a new tranny mount?
oh, ok. when i have the other work done, i will ask them to check that. i also read up on some other forums (google works great!) about 'clunking shifting' and others said put the car into neutral, then set the parking brake, then put into park before turning off will help. so i did that just that after i got back rom shopping, and, guess what, no 'clunk' when i put it in reverse after start up (to back up and out).

i will keep an eye on this and tell the mechanic when we meet up for the other work. i have a little list i am putting together, mostly minor stuff, thank goodness.
Old 03-07-09, 07:12 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

trans and engine mounts.
Old 03-08-09, 06:48 AM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by margarita
,,,,, can new transmission fluid make THAT much difference in how a car shifts? or is this an indication that i will have more serious transmission problems in near future? during this past year, for the first time, i felt a few 'slips' of the transmission. i was driving at low speed around town and i felt it maybe three times about six months ago (all over the space of maybe a week). no slips since.
Regarding the transmission starting to slip, my guess is that you did a power transmission flush. By cleaning out all the transmission fluid and putting in all new fluid, the detergents in the new fluid has cleaned up old dirt/grime deposits that were actually helping your transmission "work". Now that these deposits are removed, you are starting to notice the problems that were there but were hidden.

Yes, you can notice the effects of adding new transmisssion fluid to a car. I know I can.

Transmission flushes can cause an older or neglected transmission to fail shortly after the fluid change. I lost a Audi transmission that was working great right after a "preventative" tranny flush .... I only drain and fill now.

As already mentioned, harsh shifting can also mean the transmission mounts are broken.

Good luck
Old 03-18-09, 02:43 PM
Bill Dowd
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I put a trans cooler on my 91 lexus and I pump 8 quarts of fluid through the cooler every 20,000 miles and so far no problems. I pump 4 quarts drive the car about 10 miles and do a second drain I also use mobil one synthetic trans fluid a little more expensive but worth the protection. You can also use toyota type 4 trans fluid which is the factory fluid all my fluids are synthetic in the car, motor, rearend trans, power steering.
Old 03-20-09, 06:27 PM
Bill Dowd
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

If you put in regular trans fluid and didn't use toyota type 4 you can go to most trans shops and ask for a small bottle of friction modifier this will some time help the trans to shift smoothly.
Old 03-20-09, 08:27 PM
DietrichB
Driver School Candidate

I told this to my mechanic once, and he told me I need to relax.

He says an older transmission will seem to slip, but what's really happening is, when driving around town at slower speeds, going around corners, rolling through stop signs, and whatnot, sometimes a transmission will be just at a shift point, right where a little more or less throttle, or a little more or less speed, and the transmission has a little occasional momentary indecision whether to shift up or down. Feels like slipping, but it's just the tranny figuring out what gear to be in. When you point the car straight ahead and accelerate moderately, if it consistently shifts OK it's probably good. Maybe that's what yours is doing.

I have heard that the first generation has trouble with, if I remember right, a transmission speed sensor. I've heard someone here mention recently that there is also a module (maybe the same thing) to retard the engine timing temporarily at shift points to ease the shift. Maybe that's something for you to look into.
Old 03-21-09, 06:25 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

WTF, the god damn filter with the gasket is like 20 dollars. why are everybody want to just clean the screen?? autozone, napa, and any other store sell the filter kit which include the csreen, and gasket for ONLY 20 dollars. go do it right, and stop being cheap.
lmao! exactly..well put.... i just dont get the way some people give advice out,thats like doing a clutch job and only replacing the disc
Old 03-21-09, 09:34 AM
MEANDAFAKA
Lead Lap

exactly my point, but like what PD said. theres no point changing it if you are just doing drain and fill. but for people that are taking their pan out for whatever reason, it's worth it to change the gasket and filter.

Quick Reply: Transmission: Drain or Flush?