LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

tokico or kyb?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-02, 11:35 AM
amits001
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tokico or kyb?

Can anyone please tell me which shocks are better for my 1990 LS400? I'm considering Tokico's or KYB's along with eibach pro-kit spring set and 18" lsportline rims...i'm also having my front control arms replaced along with wheel bearings with hubs because my suspension is f@%#ed...

thanx....

Last edited by amits001; 03-08-02 at 11:41 AM.
Old 03-08-02, 03:29 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

KYBs are better for sports / sporty cars. They are stiff and hard. Tocicos are almost the same ride as stock with improved handeling. I have Tocicos and I would not go with KYBs on a lux car.
Old 03-08-02, 05:49 PM
zushwa
Lead Lap

I can't really say anything about the KYB's but I just installed the Tokico's with H&R springs (thanks gs4will for the hook-up) and the ride on the Tokico's is very similar to OE. My car handles much better and recovers from rough pavement quicker but still has a luxury ride. Just my .02.
Old 03-08-02, 06:28 PM
mervlink
Rookie

Default Go with the Tokicos

I just replaced the OEM shocks in on my 93 LS400 in December with Tokico blues along with a set of Eibach Pro-kit set....the car handles much better that stock and I still have the luxury feel. Please have a wheel alignment done to reset the spec to match with the new springs.

Last edited by mervlink; 03-10-02 at 06:01 PM.
Old 03-09-02, 12:46 PM
blitz
Pole Position

Originally posted by zushwa
I can't really say anything about the KYB's but I just installed the Tokico's with H&R springs (thanks gs4will for the hook-up) and the ride on the Tokico's is very similar to OE. My car handles much better and recovers from rough pavement quicker but still has a luxury ride. Just my .02.
hello,
how much did you pay for H&R and Tokico? is it Tokico is adj.? and how low H&R drops? how much did you pay for an installation? how long did it take you to get them after the order?

thanks.
Old 03-09-02, 02:34 PM
zushwa
Lead Lap

Originally posted by blitz

hello,
how much did you pay for H&R and Tokico? is it Tokico is adj.? and how low H&R drops? how much did you pay for an installation? how long did it take you to get them after the order?

thanks.
First, I have a first gen LS so things might be different between our cars so I can only answer what applies to my car.

I got my shocks and springs from www.shox.com . A CL member (gs4will) pointed me there and they had very good prices. It took me about 2.5 weeks to get everything but there was a small problem with my order. They didn't have the springs in stock and so my order got placed to the side or something but when I called to check on it Chris (good guy) shipped them immediately and had H&R send the springs directly to me.

Almost everywhere is going to be ~$600 for the hardware, but the labor varies widely. I had a friend I work with (he's ASE certified) do it for me with my help. We did front and rear shocks, springs, rotors and pads. It took us about 3.5 hours and he charged me $40. I gave him an extra $20 for a case of beer.

NO, the Tokico's are NOT adjustable. As far as I know there isn't an appication for the first gen LS, only the regular blue Tokico's.

So far the drop has been a little more than an inch but I'm told it will "settle" so maybe another .5 inch. Right now I'm only about 2 fingers from tire to fender, with stock wheels. when I get 20's I should be almost at the fender because the 20's will be slightly oversized.

I think that answers all your questions. If you have any more feel free to ask.

Josh
Old 03-10-02, 09:18 AM
blitz
Pole Position

hello,

thank you for your all kindly answers!

surely, i will go check that web site.
Old 03-10-02, 10:14 AM
Lvangundy

Default tokico vs oem

wait a minute, will the tokico blues LOWER the car? I was looking at them for a better replacement to the stock struts/shocks. I didn't really want it lowered, but if the drop is very small (half inch) it'd be fine.

Anyone have any input?

thanks

1990 LS
www.ldvg.com
Old 03-10-02, 01:03 PM
zushwa
Lead Lap

Default Re: tokico vs oem

Originally posted by lvangundy
wait a minute, will the tokico blues LOWER the car? I was looking at them for a better replacement to the stock struts/shocks. I didn't really want it lowered, but if the drop is very small (half inch) it'd be fine.

Anyone have any input?

thanks

1990 LS
www.ldvg.com
Springs are responsible for giving the car a lower stance, not the shocks (tokico's). If you're just replacing the shocks then it won't sit lower but if you do shocks and springs then some springs will lower the car. In the case of the H&R springs it's been ~inch so far but as I said earlier I expect it to settle a bit more.
Old 03-12-02, 10:17 AM
willy431@aol
Driver School Candidate

is a spring compressor needed to change the springs/shocks?
\
thanks!

mark