LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Hello LS forum, 92' LS4 on craiglist and I bought it.

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-09, 01:34 PM
Garage7RP
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey, "you gotta do what you gotta do"...
Old 12-14-09, 11:04 PM
3UZFTE
Instructor

Hey guys, now that it's 5* and snowing, my progress will be considerably slower because I don't have a garage to do the work in. I do have access to a garage, but it's about a mile away, and I just don't care enough to go through the work to be able to do some trial fitting. Anyways, it's a good chance to get my budget back in order and get my parts list taken care off. Well after a few weeks of eBaying and finding some budget parts, I managed to find a "new" T3/T4 turbo for $167 shipped, and a CCM wastegate $65. The turbo...

And if you guys knew me well enough, you know it was a matter of time until it was coming apart. This made it about an hour, and then I stumbled upon a 13mm and it basically just fell apart.

Cold side wheel, no nicks or bends, no real sign of usage.

2.5" Cold side

4" Intake, I do believe it's an anti-surge housing, but I'm no expert. The inside needs a little smoothing as the casting is a little rough.

Exhaust wheel, no nicks, dings, carbon, etc.

3" V-Band exhaust

38mm Cheap China Made wastegate 4-7psi spring

Any questions? I am still in the process of making my manifold. I decided that the first design wasn't going to cut it, so I will but using the same flange and 3" piping, but I will be using 45* 1-1/2" piping to raise the collector enough to clear the frame rail. I just wanted to share my love for pictures and new stuff with the rest of you. Well I think that's pretty much it until I get the manifold more to my liking, then its on the the exhaust crossover pipe and then to the turbo mounting. Happy Holidays to all, and as always fell free to comment and ask whatever questions you'd like to criticize whatever you'd like, just expect thought in return.

Last edited by 3UZFTE; 12-21-09 at 04:52 PM.
Old 12-15-09, 04:51 AM
Li Ls4
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice find on the turbo. cant wait till its on the car

just curious, is the wastegate internal or external? and how much psi r u looking to run?
Old 12-15-09, 09:55 AM
3UZFTE
Instructor

Thanks man,
Well I would post a smart *** answer, but your a pretty cool guy, so I will hold off with that and just tel you straight up. It is an external one as an internal wastegate would have an actuator that will move a valve inside the turbo to release excess pressure. Where as on my turbo, it doesn't have an internal wastegate so I must use an external one to control the exhaust pressure, controlling the amount of air the turbo sees by releasing it either into the atmosphere via a dumptube/pipe or into the exhaust which is basically less noise. The main factor that will dictate that is where your turbo comes with a wastegate or not. Here's an internal wastegate that you find built into the turbo housing.

Internal:

External:

I am only looking to only run <7 psi for a few reasons. Since this is a budget, I would like to keep everything sort of as cheap as possible. Secondly, since I am using the factory ECU, I can only run up to about 7psi as it is supposed to be the limit. Third, I want this to be somewhat of a daily driver so if I tune and build for boost then all I have to do is theorically increase the boost levels by just ordering different level springs, however down the road I will be replacing the CCM **** with name brand stuff. But for now I have an adjustable spring from 4-7psi so I can do a little test and tune, we'll will find out if it is enough to meet my requirements. Let me know if your still foggy or having any questions I'd be happy to help all... Remember no question is a dumb question, some are more basic than others.

Last edited by 3UZFTE; 12-15-09 at 10:43 AM.
Old 12-15-09, 07:36 PM
Garage7RP
Lead Lap

LoL!

Hehehehehehe!

On a serious note, were you planning on running twin turbos?

Last edited by Garage7RP; 12-15-09 at 07:40 PM.
Old 12-15-09, 07:53 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

chris ur such a noob.
Old 12-15-09, 08:07 PM
Li Ls4
Lexus Champion

i wasnt thinkin straight lol, that wat i get for posting half asleep at work lol in the morning
Old 12-21-09, 04:26 PM
VIPking
Driver School Candidate

Wow just like pulling an old car apart. You make this build look so easy. Great work
Old 12-26-09, 09:52 PM
3UZFTE
Instructor

Sigh...

Happy Holidays.
Old 12-27-09, 08:43 PM
Carfreak70
Pole Position

This is one hell of a build. I have read every single page of this build and I have to give you major props man. I don't think i've seen someone so dedicated to a car this is an awesome build and is going to be very educational to others who want to go turbo 1UZ. I am really happy there is someone out there who can actually take the innitiative to work on turboing a LS. I really hope everything goes as planned man. This is going to be an awesome car when you are done! GL!!!
Old 12-28-09, 11:13 PM
Thermactor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 3UZFTE
Sigh...

Happy Holidays.
That's just a dusting to you Minnesotans, and not an excuse.
Old 12-29-09, 10:00 AM
3UZFTE
Instructor

Originally Posted by Carfreak70
This is one hell of a build. I have read every single page of this build and I have to give you major props man. I don't think i've seen someone so dedicated to a car this is an awesome build and is going to be very educational to others who want to go turbo 1UZ. I am really happy there is someone out there who can actually take the innitiative to work on turboing a LS. I really hope everything goes as planned man. This is going to be an awesome car when you are done! GL!!!
Hey, thank you for the compliments. I really appreciate the kind words. If I had to do it all over again, I would have got 2JZGTE/V160 swap, but thats a pretty penny, and will be a little farther down the road. In fact the reason why I am building this turbo 1UZ is because I can't afford a Supra.

Originally Posted by Thermactor
That's just a dusting to you Minnesotans, and not an excuse.
Haha, yeah your right, that's nothing that should stop me from working on a few cars, in fact I do work on cars in this weather, it's just not by choice. We actually got 6 more inches after I took this picture, but I always clear off my cars so unfortunately I had to use this once to show "Snow White, and the 8 dwarfs" covers. And plus it's 5* outside, Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck that, my turbo dreams can wait 3 months. Anyways, I really don't have much I can do on the vehicle as I am still in the process of building my turbo manifold. I am in the process of buying a welder and getting it running with my dad's or friends dad's shop voltage. Anyways, I will be starting to ramp up my build again once the holidays are over and I get this F'ing welder running. Until then cheers and happy holidays, and like always, feel free to comment, critique, mention, or ask questions... I love it, the more post, the more views, the better. Take care guys and girls.

Last edited by 3UZFTE; 12-30-09 at 08:37 AM.
Old 01-29-10, 05:24 PM
3UZFTE
Instructor

Hey CL'ers, how is life treating you guys..? Life is going good for me, I know you guys don't care, but here is why it's going good. I got my welder going, finally!!! It all started about a month, maybe 2 now, ago. I was scouring the internet, asking friends, etc, for a TIG welder, nothing reasonable and I was looking for a deal. Found a Lincoln Squarewave 175 on eBay for $800, I emailed him a sob story, explaining I only had $700 and the money to get there in gas and back, as he was in Milwaukee, WI. and I am in Minneapolis, MN. about 5 hours or so on a good day. He agreed, and explained it was a 480v welder, I agreed and was out there the next day. Picked up the welder, and stayed at a friends to make the trip home in the morning.
When I got home, I realized that I couldn't just wire/rig some thing up to run the 480v it would require. The only thing that I really could do is have my dad's shop wired for 480v, yeah right... or buy a transformer, would be easily over 50lbs. for the size that I needed. After sitting on the damn welder for about 2 weeks, I found a electrical step-down transformer in Eau Claire, WI. Made the trip there fine, but on the way back the transmission decided it wasn't going any farther in our minivan that my dad bought brand new off the lot in 93'. My sister came and picked me up about 20 mins outside of Eau Claire, and we ended up scraping the van. Again, I wait another 2 weeks until I decide to crack into it, once I start cracking heads and asking questions, I find out what I need to do from one of my dad's former students as he was a grade school teacher in the Minneapolis public school system. The student owns an electrical company now, and has a few kids so he has a father mentality, he ended up not only basically drawing everything up for me, but he gave me a 6' foot cord, 50 amp circuit breaker, 8awg wire, and a bunch of electrical connectors and grounding junk for free!! After a few days of blowing the breaker a few times, I realized that because I was using the step-down transformer as a step-up, I had the ground on the other side, like it would be if it were a step-down.
Got it fixed, power up the welder, and i'll be damned, the SOB is on.. So I rushed out and bought a mid-sized bottle, auto-tinting mask, 1lb #308 rod, kidskin tig gloves. I happened to go to a smaller welding supply shop, and the guy was suuuuper nice, gave me everything I needed to know, and even gave me about 15 mins of seat time as he first demonstrated and then helped my form and technique, I seriously have never tig'd before and the guy was impressed, however he said I have along way to go, but he said I can come in anytime and get pointers and whatever, as he said most of his customer do after they start tigging. I went home, and instead of practicing my tig skills tonight, I figured I would get the cart to be perfect so I can just wheel the cart out and start to weld. This is what I have.
Lincoln Electric Squarewave 175 Tig welder (2007 model, pedal, arc clamp/torch, grounding clamp, argon gas regulator, and cart). $700
240x480 Step-down transformer. $110
6' 240v plug, 8awg wire, 50 amp circuit breaker, clamps and grounding accessories. $Free
48" bottle filled w/ argon, 1 lb. #308 rod, miller auto-tint mask, kidskin tig gloves, tig welding for dummies. $400
Total: $1,210 of course it doesn't include gas to pick up the equipment, but add another $100 if you want, either way it's a bargain, considering I wouldn't let this thing go for even $1,500...
Being able to weld what I want to, when I want to, how I want to... Priceless..

What else could a man ask for....? Possibly a mandrel tube bender..?

Last edited by 3UZFTE; 01-29-10 at 05:29 PM.
Old 01-29-10, 06:26 PM
Thermactor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congratulations my frozen brother! By the way, time spent welding is referred to as "helmet time" by those who do it for a living.

Here's a great video with some pointers on welding and how to weld:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Us7VDZT-NcQ
Old 02-01-10, 03:09 PM
3UZFTE
Instructor

Originally Posted by Thermactor
Congratulations my frozen brother! By the way, time spent welding is referred to as "helmet time" by those who do it for a living.

Here's a great video with some pointers on welding and how to weld:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Us7VDZT-NcQ
Hahaha, the video is pretty funny, I continued to find how (not) to weld videos, and most of them were pretty funny. This might be a little off topic, but the Kentucky b-ball team is something else, too bad they couldn't hold down the #1 spot.

Anyways, back to the cars... I have put in a few hours of helmet time, and I am definitely getting better, however I haven't yet welded anything together other than some tube endings. I am going to start getting into it sometime in the next week or two... I am just a terrible procrastinator when it comes to school, and unfortunately I need a few days doing homework to catch up... again, I am terrible as procrastinating.....

Quick Reply: Hello LS forum, 92' LS4 on craiglist and I bought it.