LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Hello LS forum, 92' LS4 on craiglist and I bought it.

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-10, 09:01 PM
Legionofon
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

God I must see more of this, I know this is a bit off subject but has anyone ever used the super small displacement of this V8 to crank some serious revs? I mean hell if a LS3 can rev 10k (the engine shop I work for has built them!) why cant this TINY (in a good way) v8...
Old 03-13-10, 09:25 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 96 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Legionofon
God I must see more of this, I know this is a bit off subject but has anyone ever used the super small displacement of this V8 to crank some serious revs? I mean hell if a LS3 can rev 10k (the engine shop I work for has built them!) why cant this TINY (in a good way) v8...
you can if you build the motor properly and use a specific combo of valvetrain and cams.

there's a guy using a 1uz in his supra pushing about 9000rpm, but that's dry sump and got ridiculous amounts of work done to it.
Old 03-13-10, 09:38 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

theres a couple race built 1UZs pushing that HP also..
Old 03-13-10, 09:43 PM
Legionofon
Rookie

I can easily see this engine revving 10k, maybe de-stroked a bit and brought down to a 3.5L with light weight internals.

This thing has 360 modena potential...
check out the engine specs on the 2 cars...

LS400
Valves/Valve Configuration 32/DOHC
Displacement (cc) 3995
Bore X Stroke (in.) 3.43 X 3.31
Compression Ratio 10.3:1

360 Modena
Valves/Valve Configuration 40/2-DOHC
Displacement (cc) 3586
Bore X Stroke (in.) 3.35 X 3.11
Compression Ratio 11.0:1

I wonder what this engine with 11:1 CR and reving to 8500 RPM would make I bet it would out class that 360

My dads tahoe revs to 6k RPM and its a damn pushrod v8, I have a peice of art under my hood, 4.0L DOHC 6 bolt mains short stroke small bore and I can only rev 6.5? bahh!

Thermactor this car runs a mix of 1uz and 3uz parts...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dyhn0bSZbuo
Old 03-16-10, 04:07 PM
3UZFTE
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Header Vol. 2.1

It's taking some time and a lot of patience, but it will be done.

Hey thanks for checking out my build, I like the interest. It doesn't bother me a bit to ask some questions. There isn't a a factory LS300, but a couple people have put a 2JZ in an LS400 body. With that being said, V8s usually don't spin as fast as an inline or straight motor. However, our friend, Ed over at www.v-eight.com is a genius and also a UZ freak. He has his 1UZ turning at 9,500 rpms, but like it was mentioned up top, he is using a dry-sump oil system, total custom rotating assembly, and most of his engine is one off CNC'd stuff, which is awesome stuff. Anyways, feel free to poke around there and ask some questions, they are the performance guys when it comes to the UZ. As far as peak horsepower I think HKS holds the record with their 4.0TT. The real problem I see if that if you are really looking to make a reliable 1UZ over 500rwhp and 9000+ rpms, you will be a broke S.O.B. The problem is, is that it is a Toyota, not a Ferrari, so the valve springs, cams, connecting rods, etc., weren't meant to spin at 9000rpm, they were designed to go 300,000 miles with no adjustments or issues.... If it were me, and I had to do it all over again, I would have put a GM LSx motor in their, beef it up, and go from there. The reason being that there is no replacement for displacement. RPMs are great, but if your not making much power at the range, what's the point? The goal is to widen the range, and make it affective over all the range, not just expand it on the top. The problem with them small displacement motors is that they have no torque on the bottom end, where you need it. If you watching Supra videos on youtube you will see that they almost always will get jumped on by a larger displacement motor, but as soon as the turbo comes in, it's goodbye. However there are a few out there that even a boosted Supra won't even come close to. IIRC there was a comparison of the ford 302 (5.0) V8 and 300 (4.9) I6, the 4.9 made more torque because of the design. Besides what's wrong with pushrod motors? NASCAR uses them every weekend turning over 9000 rpms, and over 800hp and thats through a carb. Man, I love fuel consumption. Check out Ed @ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fm5k1...eature=related

Last edited by 3UZFTE; 03-16-10 at 04:29 PM. Reason: always can add more info....
Old 03-16-10, 04:36 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 96 Likes on 88 Posts

I can easily see this engine revving 10k, maybe de-stroked a bit and brought down to a 3.5L with light weight internals.

This thing has 360 modena potential...
check out the engine specs on the 2 cars...

I wonder what this engine with 11:1 CR and reving to 8500 RPM would make I bet it would out class that 360
engine specs like those alone dont make an engine. you failed to mentioned the 360's flat plane crank, unobtainium internals, and the fact that you will drop an EASY $15-20k to get it to rev to 10k rpm and still make power.
Old 03-17-10, 07:16 PM
3UZFTE
Instructor

I've never been called pretty, my work isn't much of an exception. It literally took me 4-5x the amount of time it took to fabricate it as it did to weld it. I could have taken my time, but my window of time is small and I would rather spend the time adjusting and fitting the exhaust piping. Anyways, the picture is the end of the day, the 3" pipe is being held by my hand, the lower part is completely welded. I dealt with a little warping issue, but I managed to get it figured out, I might have the face of the flange machined down to be completely flat, but for now it's fine. Tomorrow, I will grind the insides of the tubing where there is the metal slag. Once I have that crud out, and the runners all looking nice, I will tack, then weld it up.

Sorry for the crappy pictures, but I needed to jack my thread back... Anyways, Thanks for coming by, looking to be boosted in about a month or so...
Old 03-18-10, 07:42 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 201 Likes on 149 Posts

I just found this thread....WOW, nice find and really, really nice work. I have a 430 but, wow, I wish I had your skills,I would attempt to find a 400 to do this with.
Old 03-18-10, 07:44 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 201 Likes on 149 Posts

Double post...sorry
Old 03-21-10, 07:58 PM
3UZFTE
Instructor

Originally Posted by DavidinCT
I just found this thread....WOW, nice find and really, really nice work. I have a 430 but, wow, I wish I had your skills,I would attempt to find a 400 to do this with.
Hey David, thanks for coming by and checking out my thread. I wish I had a 430, then I wouldn't need to turbocharge it, well maybe that's not entirely true, but you get the point. My skills are something that it took me a while to learn, but they are still young and I would very much like to put them to use somewhere in NASCAR, does anyone know anyone(social networking)...? The good thing about the older LS's is that you can start to find them for pretty damn cheap these days provided you can give it a little TLC. If you do end up getting an LS, I would be happy to give you a few tips or give you some advice about your build or not.
Anyways, life is good besides yesterday, I was roaming the local salvage yard and ended up dropping my keys somewhere in the yard. I lost my house key, parents house key, sister house key, my GS430 key, and my girls friends Accord key/fob. Needless to say I wasn't happy, I literally had a melt down, but thankfully my girlfriend was there within about 15 mins and I made it home. Thankfully I didn't lose my iPhone or wallet, although I would have rather lost a $100 bill than my keys. Anyways, enough of the ranting, I should have more work done some time this week. I am in my first week of my last semester, does anyone have a job for me?
Old 03-22-10, 02:06 AM
fastegg
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default there is no such thing as a cheap car

especially a cheap lexus....
Old 03-23-10, 06:02 PM
3UZFTE
Instructor

I figured out my power steering feed from the resevoir. Started welding the manifold tonight, will finish tomorrow.
Old 05-03-10, 06:45 PM
e57820
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nothing in over a month, what's the deal?
Old 05-03-10, 06:50 PM
Thermactor
Lexus Test Driver

brother's busy with life!
Old 07-05-10, 02:00 PM
masboy
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

wow 3UZFTE......this is really inspire me....too bad i have no background in mechanic at all. but this really make me wanna to work on my LS400 as much as u did. can't wait to see how's urs coming along so far..

Quick Reply: Hello LS forum, 92' LS4 on craiglist and I bought it.