LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Hello LS forum, 92' LS4 on craiglist and I bought it.

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-09, 10:05 AM
3UZFTE
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well no luck with the seat belt as the spring it self has just lost most of it's tension, even with it twisted tighter, it only pulls the belt in when helped. But anyways, I am waiting for few things, as well as you guy know I have multiple other cars that need my time and resources. Anyways, this is what I was up to yesterday.

Pass. seat out, and yep... That's power steering fluid, the 3rd bottom that came with car, and half of it's in the carpet.

With all the debris removed, you can see some nasty spills and stains, well I used to detail cars, and I have the remedy for this.

Here it is after some TLC, shampooing, and a little extra attention.

I am actually not quite done yet, I am going for round 2 today. Once I finished with that, I will do the trunk, and then I should have my new driver seat to reassemble.

Thanks for coming by, gotta run.
Old 07-01-09, 10:06 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

nice job man!
Old 07-02-09, 04:48 PM
Kingsoup
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lookin good!
Old 07-07-09, 10:40 AM
3UZFTE
Instructor

Update,
Well boys and girls, if you all remeber where I last left off, I am in search of some cash to finish my project, to make some cash. Well that being said, the LS4 seemed to be an eye-sore in the driveway. I knew I had to do something, but what? Well here's what I did, I found a few sets of wheels, MKIV Supra TT wheels, $600; MKIV Supra N/A, $325; and a decent set of 1st Gen IS OEM 17's with tires for $200, which I bought. Needless to say they are not perfect, One tire NEEDs replacing, and another could be replaced. Also, as the person pointed out to me as he handed them over, one wheel is actually a polished finish, where as the rest are all painted from the factory. I haven't really thought of the best way to approach this, but I do want them all similar, however it is obvious which one it is, however with a little closer look I'm sure you'll be able to tell which one is polished. Anyways, here as a couple of pictures of the wheels, I will be puttin them on the LS4 later today.

Like I said, I will be mounting them onto the LS4 just to get a feel for the look, I be sure to flick some pictures. Thanks for coming by.
Old 07-07-09, 10:45 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

nice. paint them all silver! they look like they need refinishing anyways.
Old 07-07-09, 11:20 AM
3UZFTE
Instructor

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
nice. paint them all silver! they look like they need refinishing anyways.
Yeah, that was the plan. It's nice to know someone else is thinking along the same lines. I actually going to dismount 2 of them from the tires and spray them, one a hair darker than the OEM silver, and ther other I want to go with a lighter gunmetal. I want to match the silver on the lower 2-tone. I have always liked darker wheels, however I don't like the look of black OEM 17's on a 92' white/grey LS4.... My 2 cents. Let me know what you guys think, I will post later of what I come up with. Input is much appreciate and approved.
Old 07-07-09, 11:57 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

if u change the tires then yea dismount them but u can go the cheap way and replace the one bad tire. you can use the index card method to paint the wheels. the index card method is lining up index cards between the lip of the wheel and the bead of the tire so it makes a complete circle. google it, thats the way i painted my supras.
Old 07-07-09, 12:03 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

index card method never really leaves GREAT results at the lip....

your local wal-mart will mount/dismount cheaply for you

most will stop working with <40-45series aspect ratio tires.
Old 07-07-09, 10:21 PM
3UZFTE
Instructor

Hey thanks for the help guys, but I do some work on the side for a guy who owns a few local shops. So it doesn't cost me a penny to mount/balance/etc., So I went ahead and just dismounted 2 of them, this way I can check color schemes because I know they'll fit. Since they'll also need tires, I'll just wait until I finish painting the set to see what they look like on there, and I can do 30-40 series tires no problem. I am not a big believer in that type of method of painting just because I want to paint pretty much the whole rim, except between the beads, waste of paint and since the tires are going bye-bye, why not... Anyways, enough chit chat....

Sorry, I was too in the zone to take a picture before I sprayed the polished rim. However, once I got a chance to sit, I took a few flicks with my iPhone. Anyways, teh Greenish grey rim is the polished rim, sanded with 400 then 1000 grit like a ****... At least 2 hours of sanding on that wheel. The other is obviously the OEM wheel prior to sanding, which took much less time and work.

2nd coat on the polished (left) 1st coat on the other, after being sanded for 400 and 1000 grit like the polished one, but was less energy and time consuming.

Both wheels after 2 coats of etching primer, I need to sand just a few things down but for spray paint it ain't bad.

Tomorrow or the next day I will lay the base coat after taking care of some finishing touches prior to laying the first coat. What do you guys think....
1. Base coat, like black or gunmetal, then silver, and obviously clear them.
2. Silver flake base coat, then use gunmetal to tint it darker.
My thoughts... Since it is a 1st gen LS4, it's a 2-tone. White and silver, if you haven't been following. I do not want to go too dark as I don't want to make them black, or an "un-OEM" look. However, I don't want to have my rims match the silver that accents the lower trim of the car, I want a little something!

I have also acquired some tires that will consequently go on my GS430, however I thought I'd post them here as my tires on my GS will now be coming over to the LS4. Anyways, I picked them up for $75 from a follow twin city GS4 driver.

The lowest tread, I didn't have my gauge handy, but i'm guessing 6 to 7/32's, a good year or two....

Well clearly I have much more work to do, but I posted this tonight so hopefully I can get some input as to what color to paint them. That being said, it's getting late, I hopefully I will get some reponses, otherwise you can bet as impatient as I am, they will be finished in a few days. However, I have a few jobs lined up tha might take away from my anti-drug, but we'll see. Later guys, and as always, comments are more than appreciated.
Old 07-08-09, 05:22 AM
Schnitz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

"1. Base coat, like black or gunmetal, then silver, and obviously clear them."

I like this idea best.

Great work! The diary is very informative as well. Thanks.
Old 07-08-09, 07:09 AM
Yotarip
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe that spacers will be a must if you want to mount them on your ls400. I bought a set of those IS300 wheels for my 96 camry and the offset way too high. They looked like crap on the camry. I think the offset on those wheels are around +45/+50?
Old 07-08-09, 09:18 AM
3UZFTE
Instructor

Originally Posted by Yotarip
I believe that spacers will be a must if you want to mount them on your ls400. I bought a set of those IS300 wheels for my 96 camry and the offset way too high. They looked like crap on the camry. I think the offset on those wheels are around +45/+50?
Yeah, your right as far as putting IS3 wheels on an ES/Camry because those cars are FWD, and the IS3/LS4 are RWD so the offsets are slightly different. However, I do have 1/2" spacers lying around if needed. But from my research and what I've come across, they should bolt us with no issues. I have also seen an LS4 with GS4 wheels, and they are almost identical to the IS3.
Old 07-08-09, 11:27 AM
Yotarip
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=3UZFTE;4661487]Yeah, your right as far as putting IS3 wheels on an ES/Camry because those cars are FWD, and the IS3/LS4 are RWD so the offsets are slightly different.QUOTE]

Exactly why it's funny that the factory wheel offset for a rwd is300 was so high that the wheels looked akward on a camry. You would think that the wheels would stick out past the fenders but it was the exact opposite. They where swallowed by the wheel wells. I think I would have needed a 1 inch spacer to make the wheels look good on the camry.
Old 07-08-09, 11:50 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

you don't "need" spacers, though you may want them to be a little more flush.
Old 08-11-09, 02:27 PM
3UZFTE
Instructor

Well after having to search for my thread, it seems that it hasn't been updated or commented on in a little over a month. I hope all is well with you guys, I have been on the forums, however I do have other cars and other interest that seems to occupy my time now more than the LS does. However the time has come to sell the LS400 soon, so I have a few more updates to come, but once sold, the thread shall be updated no more.

As of today, if you remember, last time I was painting wheels. I have since completed sanding, priming, painting, and clearing the rims. Once I finished, I was quite worn out, so I let them sit for a few weeks to let the paint dry. I have mounted and balance them as well. Since I had a few extra tires laying around, I decided to go 245/35/R17 (IS300 rim/GS430 tire) out back and 215/35/R17 (IS300 rim/tire) in the front. The rears are slightly bigger, length/width/height, but that is for the next owner to take care of, in the mean time they can enjoy the wider tires in the rear. P.S. No spacers needed, fit fine, no rubbing, and miles of brake clearance, their not flush, but they look OEM, fine with me.

Terrible picture by my girlfriend, ... I look like a douche.

See the purple van next to "Snow White", it happened to be parked out in the street the night before, and during a wild storm

Pretty sure it's going to be totaled... Just another day here.

Updates to come, the exhaust needs to be fixed.. STILL... and the interior needs to be reassembled now that it's been given the royal treatment.

Last edited by 3UZFTE; 08-12-09 at 12:10 PM.

Quick Reply: Hello LS forum, 92' LS4 on craiglist and I bought it.