LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Hello LS forum, 92' LS4 on craiglist and I bought it.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-09, 12:09 AM
3UZFTE
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Budget...
Not Done:
24’ x 2.5” Aluminum $96.30 (or $90 eBay w/ clamps and bands)
Air filter $25.00
30” x 11” x 2.5” Intercooler $90.00
(2)20’ x 2.5” Stainless steel $241.35
(5)3” V-band $125.00
LC-1 wideband $159.00
Turbo oil drain/feed line $50.00
PS relocation $10.00

Done:
Abs removal ($20) fittings/unions/ ($25) tools $45.00 (6) 3/16" brake line fittings (2) 3/16" "t"-unions (1) brake line flaring kit (Carquest/Harbor Freight)
Mock-up cylinder head $45.00 (Highway 101 Salvage)
T3/T4 turbo $170.00 (eBay)
38mm wastegate 4-7psi $63.00 (eBay)
7’ x 3.0” 16g Stainless steel $15.00 downpipe and exhaust manifold (Discount Steel)
2’ x 1.5” sch40 Stainless steel $10.00 exhaust port tubing (Discount Steel)
3.0" x 1/2" x 2’ Stainless steel $15.52 header and T3 flange (Discount Steel)

Forgot:
Walbro 255lph fuel pump $99.00
Rising rate fuel pressure regulator $50.00
AN fittings and lines $25.00
(8) 315cc fuel injectors... $130
Apexi SAFC $200

$363.55 (Spent) + $1,059 (Left) = $1,422.55 (Total)

Anybody see anything I'm missing? (Thanks Och) Got any questions? Comments? Concerns?

Last edited by 3UZFTE; 12-05-09 at 07:58 PM.
Old 12-03-09, 10:52 AM
lexondubs
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very nice man makes me want to rip into mine next year lol question what did you use to get ur carpet 2 sparkle ? id like to rip my seats out and do mine aswell
Old 12-03-09, 03:22 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 3UZFTE
My Budget...
Not Done:
5’ x 3.0” Stainless steel $87.52
2’ x 1.5” Stainless steel $13.13
½” x 3.0 x 2’ Stainless steel $30.30
24’ x 2.5” Aluminum $96.30 (or $90 eBay w/ clamps and bands)
Air filter $25.00
30” x 11” x 2.5” Intercooler $90.00
T3 flange $15.00
(2)20’ x 2.5” Stainless steel $241.35
(5)3” V-band $125.00
LC-1 wideband $159.00
Turbo oil drain/feed line $50.00
PS relocation $10.00

Done:
Abs removal ($20) fittings/unions/ ($25) tools $45.00
Mock-up cylinder head $45.00
T3/T4 turbo $170.00
38mm wastegate 4-7psi $63.00

Forgot:
Walbro 255lph fuel pump $99.00
Rising rate fuel pressure regulator $50.00
AN fittings and lines $25.00

Total: 1,439.60

Anybody see anything I'm missing? Got any questions? What's up?
Injectors? ECU?
Old 12-03-09, 03:45 PM
3UZFTE
Instructor

Originally Posted by lexondubs
very nice man makes me want to rip into mine next year lol question what did you use to get ur carpet 2 sparkle ? id like to rip my seats out and do mine aswell
Well sir, I can say that your car will probably not be as bad as mine, but I used a carpet shampooer that we own. I used to detail cars for one of the large dealer chains around here so that's how I used to make some good money, so I have most of the supplied and know how laying around... Why wait for next year, you can start tonight, tomorrow, next week or the following weekend... Just kidding, it has been a lot of work, but worth it.

Originally Posted by Och
Injectors? ECU?
Good call.... I have clearly added those to my mental budget, but when doing the breakdown, it's easy to forget the small things... As far as the ECU, I will be running the stock ECU, with larger injectors, and a rising rate fuel pressure regulator... I think I will have to invest in a SAFC to be safe, but in reality I would want to have someone who knows how to tune cars... Aka Full Blown Motorsports, as they do all the turbo IS3's around here.
Old 12-03-09, 05:46 PM
Thermactor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great thread dude. Your thread is like FedEx, it delivers.
Old 12-03-09, 07:12 PM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Outstanding job man period!
Old 12-03-09, 08:02 PM
stvincent
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

great read.. props to your work.. gl w project.
Old 12-04-09, 07:01 AM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good car to ride around in for errands and work etc.! Also, the first generation LS' will be classics if not already. Fixing it up will be worth it being you only paid $400. People at times spend that on fast food and Starbucks in a month or two! Should be fun putting the car back in good running condition also, all the best sir!!! L.G.N.M
Old 12-04-09, 10:32 AM
Vpanin
Pole Position

YOU ARE THE MAN!!! And for 400$ I would just get that car just to sit there because i love it so much. I wish I had the skills to do what you did though.
Old 12-05-09, 07:05 PM
3UZFTE
Instructor

Hey guys, can't thank you enough for the kind words, it clearly makes me feel just a little bit better bout myself, I do appreciate it. The whole reason why I am posting this thread is because of you guys. Once I've seen it, I've learned it, and I have learned so much from you guys and the other folks around here, I fell as it is my duty to do this. Hope everyone is having a good holiday season, and stay warm and safe.

So, now that I have a little cash flow, I went out and purchased the materials I needed to have in order to make my manifold. So I went Discount Steel, they have a website, but they are local to me so I went to the yard because I am familiar with it. I happened to get 2' of 4" x 1/2" bar stock for the flange material, 2' of 1-1/2 SCH 40 for the individual exhaust ports and wastegate (The reason why I chose piping instead tubing is because the measurement is different. The 1-1/2" was about 1-5/8" ID, inside diameter. The 1-1/2" tubing was slightly less than 1-1/2" ID, and since I needed it to be 1-1/2" for the exhaust ports one the head, that was my reasoning), and 7' of 3" 16 gauge for the exhaust mani and downtube, all 304 Stainless, however I think the bar stock was mild steel, but it's 1/2" thick, and I think I'm ceramic coating it anyways... so, for a grand total of $40, I got easily a hundred dollars for a fraction of that. A word of advice, if you have one in your area, or live in the Twin Cities, if you ever go to Discount Steel, have cash on you cause you will find out why when your in the right situation... Nice guys those steel yard workers are, the guy asked me what I was doing, explained everything to him, and we started bull****ting as usual.. Anyways, I got really bored last night, and instead of going out with my buds to the bars, I decided that I would make an appearance at my buddies sheet metal shop, finished up late and put in about 5 hours today just fabing stuff up, mocking it up, and just messing around... and here's what I have. I am sorry that I don't have all they pictures that we took, it's because my girlfriend used her camera and I forgot the memory card before she went out this evening.. Anyways, I hope you enjoy...

Good artist copy, great artist steal... I guess I am just good for the moment..

Got some work to do obviously, however 1-1/2" drill bit makes work a lot easier with a pilot hole.

Flange vs. 1/2" bar stock

Notice the polished ban saw cuts?

Just grinding and deburring after the 1-1/2" bit.

Everything is just tacked for now, I will have my buddy do the real welding. I am saving up for my TIG, but for now my buddies dads MIG with no gas works fine.

What you see took me most of friday night, and the piping took me most of today, as I don't have a milling machine. I am not doing the welding, my buddy is, hes good with the tig, I am not. I picked up the metal for dirt cheap by pure luck, so If I have to make another, I have the know how and would save a few hours with some prep work. I will not make anything final until I get the existing exhaust manifold on the LS off, and mock this one up, if it fits, it's being welded. What do you guys think? As always leave some feedback, I don't mind some constructive criticism...

Last edited by 3UZFTE; 12-06-09 at 03:51 PM.
Old 12-05-09, 07:49 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

props for having the ***** to do it but i really really think you need to read up on exhaust theory, specifically scavenging (port length) and velocity conservation before a turbocharger......

not a fan of "pipe" style manifolds. when you said you were going turbo i was thinking you would do the logical thing (given you're making a manifold from scratch) and make a proper tubular manifold. (you basically made a log style)
Old 12-06-09, 04:44 PM
3UZFTE
Instructor

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
props for having the ***** to do it but i really really think you need to read up on exhaust theory, specifically scavenging (port length) and velocity conservation before a turbocharger......

not a fan of "pipe" style manifolds. when you said you were going turbo i was thinking you would do the logical thing (given you're making a manifold from scratch) and make a proper tubular manifold. (you basically made a log style)
Well first let me start by saying thank you for the appreciation and the comments as I truly appreciate a little criticism, so don't take this as argumentative as it's only me defending my thoughts. I think as far as theories and what not, I have mostly what I need, I have a two year in automotive, worked at Toyota for 2 years, independently for a year, and have been around cars since I was a boy. But here's the reason why I am sticking with the "pipe" manifold, it's the easiest, and it's been tried and proven. As far as the scavenging effect, yeah I think the turbo header will reduce the scavenging slightly but I think the addition of the exhaust from the other manifold coming by will add to it, and once the turbo spools, it's a constant flow, so we shall see. The vehicle can actually run with no headers as I did when I rebuilt it, so if I need to adjust my manifold, I would simply just tweak the log manifold, the problem is getting it to fit and testing it on the vehicle, neither are just that easy. Yes, I could spend countless hours and money fabricating this one off manifold, but in reality, that doesn't really match the theme of the entire build. Everything has been about the overall budget, and what good is building the car if you can't drive it. One thing I will say is this manifold has been tried and tested to make a good 300 rwhp, 334rwhp and 378rwtq to be exact. But depending on the given turbo size and boost levels, will vary the amount of power, I'm looking for good, CHEAP, horsepower, that's home built.

I would agree the manifold needs some tweaking as I am truly not a fan of the 1" exhaust feeds and think they need to be extended to about 2-1/2" but in reality the amount of time and money that I could pour into it, I just don't see it being worth is given that it's not my daily, I'm looking to build everything myself and if I decide that I need to remake the manifold at a later date, I have a template to modify the existing setup where as now. Since it is snowing, I do not have access to a lift or anything, so I have to fabricate everything in a warm shop and I will only be able to pull my vehicle in on the weekends and it needs to be pulled back out by Monday and not sit in the lot. I am literally creating everything you see off measurements, photos, and guessing and checking, also with a little help from a few key internet sources. A big thanks to SteveChumo, Lextreme, and a few others, but a special thanks to Adam for the pictures and know how to actually get it done. I am literally copying his build, and a few minor exceptions, and I must say I cant thank him enough for giving me the must needed support and information that I so desperately need. I mean, yes logically it would be awesome to dump everything I had into it, but I am a full-time student, I have a part-time job, and I have an addicting hobby with multiple vehicles that need my attention. I want to get it done, drive it, and say I am not happy enough. If I was really trying to make some one off manifolds, they would be going on my GS430, no questions asked. Do you know how hard and time consuming it is to build this thing from scratch? Keep in mind overall, I am projecting me spending a grand total of $3,800... For this entire build, car, parts, tools, materials, etc...
Old 12-06-09, 09:11 PM
Garage7RP
Lead Lap

Keep us updated. Did you remove the power steering too?
Old 12-06-09, 09:21 PM
Garage7RP
Lead Lap

Oh check out this thread. He also did a log style turbo manifold.

http://forums.club4ag.com/zerothread?id=56226
Old 12-07-09, 09:53 AM
3UZFTE
Instructor

Originally Posted by Garage7RP
Keep us updated. Did you remove the power steering too?
I haven't removed power steering in general, I just need the room that the PS resv. takes up. I will be modifying an external resv and having it feed into the pump as they do on an SC400. Only the LS has that style of resv.

Originally Posted by Garage7RP
Oh check out this thread. He also did a log style turbo manifold.

http://forums.club4ag.com/zerothread?id=56226
Hey thanks for the link, I have actually been following most of these builds for quite some time, I actually have been watching this guys for quite sometime. I know that the "log" style is probably the least efficient but given the amount of room between the frame rail and cylinder head, I just don't feel like doing anything out of the ordinary as this has been tried and tested.

Quick Reply: Hello LS forum, 92' LS4 on craiglist and I bought it.