LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Radius Arms and Sturt rod -Same thing?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-09, 04:46 PM
oarnura
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radius Arms and Sturt rod -Same thing?

Are the radius arms and struts rods the same thing?

I need bushings for those and was wonder if they are the same things. The diagram on most of the lexus parts sites say strut rod but my mechanics software calls them radius arms.

Just wanted to clarify.
Old 04-10-09, 04:57 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 254 Likes on 201 Posts

In the following explanation they are called radius rods ... based on the photo, they are in the same location as the "strut rods" I had replaced on my 2000 LS400 by my local Lexus dealer: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radius_rod
Old 04-10-09, 06:03 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

IIRC, the radius arm is also known as the lower control arm. The strut rod is connected to this as well, which would explain it's location as Kansas pointed out, and goes from the lower control arm to the front of the car.
Old 04-10-09, 06:28 PM
oarnura
Driver School Candidate

I am trying to diagnose a clunk and the mechanic claimed the front and rear bushings were shot. He called them control arms but pointed to what looks like the Number 10 part in image 1 which was labled radius arm.

The All data software he had called Number 10 in the image 1 the radius rod. But he claimed the real part on the car has a bushing in the end like the second picture. Both are called Strut Rod on the Carson and Pembroke parts sites.

Number 10 in this image:
http://www.trademotion.com/schematic...al/F880080.gif

Number 12 in this one:

http://www.trademotion.com/schematics/8/8906175.gif

To confuse things more. Carson (trademotion site) has two Suspension Components links under front suspension.
One of those links has the same image as Pembroke Pines the other one has the first image:
http://www.trademotion.com/schematics/8/8906175.gif

That's why I am confused..
Old 04-10-09, 07:10 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

OK,, using the first diagram,,,

Number 10 is the strut rod itself.
Number 4 is the lower control arm
Number 5 is the ball joint.

10 and 5 both connect to the lower control arm itself (number 4)

Clunk can be due to worn bushings on the control arms and/or on the strut bar. If your mechanic told you the control arms are worn, then it is number 4 on the image. In most cases with the LS, the clunk comes from the strut bars tho. Replacing the bushings on the control arms won't hurt anything either since they probably need to be changed anyway.

Last edited by trukn1; 04-10-09 at 07:24 PM.
Old 04-12-09, 11:44 AM
oarnura
Driver School Candidate

Thanks. Any Idea why there are two diagrams with two different looking rods (Number 12 in image 2)?

Is the first image (the where the strut rod is number 10) for the air suspension?
Old 04-12-09, 03:14 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

The first diagram is more the accurate for the first gen LS (89-94). The second one you have listed may be for a later model year; I really don't know. I do not know what year LS you have,as you did not list the year and it is not in your profile info. In future, please list year of your car so that others may be able to help to diagnose and point you in the right direction more quickly.
Old 04-12-09, 06:08 PM
oarnura
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by trukn1
The first diagram is more the accurate for the first gen LS (89-94). The second one you have listed may be for a later model year; I really don't know. I do not know what year LS you have,as you did not list the year and it is not in your profile info. In future, please list year of your car so that others may be able to help to diagnose and point you in the right direction more quickly.
Sorry! I have a 1998 LS. I updated my profile too.

Makes sense. Looks like the second diagram is closer to what people post pictures of for 95 onwards.
Old 04-13-09, 08:57 AM
tyncobb
Driver

Default 94' LS400 Strut Rod Bushing Reponse and Question

Onara,

I have a 1994 LS400 and have been told that my strut rod bushings are bad too.

I have only seen the 1st diagram that you have in your post and it shows number 10 as being the Strut Rod in the Park Place Plano Lexus online parts.

But when I looked at your other two diagrams, that same part is shown in a different profile and it looks like the BUSHINGS for the Strut Rod are actually separate parts numbers 13 & 14. Can you tell me what those part numbers are labeled on those sites that you have posted?

I need to replace my lower ball joints and was going to do the Strut Rods at the same time, assuming that they were one part, that included the BUSHINGS.

Can anyone confirm that the Strut Rod does or doesnt come with the BUSHINGS, as one part, similar to the Upper Control Arms coming as one part with the Upper Ball Joints?

Thanks to all for any information
Old 04-13-09, 09:40 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

The very first diagram is gonna be more accurate for the 94LS, as I have a 92 myself and have been under my car doing suspension work for the last 2 weeks. You actually can replace just the bushing, provided you can find someplace to sell it to you, but it is a real PITA to do. When ordering a new strut rod, the bushing comes with it and is just a matter of disassembly and replacement.

The piece above, with the 2 bolts on top going towards the front of the car is the strut rod. If you follow this rod to the front of the car, you will see where the bushing is at the end.
Old 04-13-09, 10:13 AM
tyncobb
Driver

Talking Strut Rod Pictures

Trukn,

This picture and explanation is AWESOME, really explains a lot and makes looking at those diagrams much easier to order from, thanks.

I just replaced my Upper Control Arms and decided that I am now, going to replace the Lower Ball Joints and could see the Strut Rod clearly. Now I see the other end of the bar and where the bushing actually is near the frame.

You said all that is needed is disassembly and installation after you have bought the strut rod? How difficult is it to get the Bushing out of the frame and put the new one back in? Are there any additional tools needed? I saw where the rod connects near the ball joint and that looks pretty easy to disassemble, but I dont know about the other end...easy or hard?

Thanks for the pictures and advice. Excellent help.
Old 04-13-09, 03:00 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

www.lexls.com is your friend. LOL!!
Old 11-09-10, 05:36 AM
Max Power

Originally Posted by trukn1
The very first diagram is gonna be more accurate for the 94LS, as I have a 92 myself and have been under my car doing suspension work for the last 2 weeks. You actually can replace just the bushing, provided you can find someplace to sell it to you, but it is a real PITA to do. When ordering a new strut rod, the bushing comes with it and is just a matter of disassembly and replacement.

The piece above, with the 2 bolts on top going towards the front of the car is the strut rod. If you follow this rod to the front of the car, you will see where the bushing is at the end.
How come it's so hard to just replace the bushings?

In this thread it seems extremely easy!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...y-for-1ls.html
Old 11-09-10, 08:43 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 173 Likes on 130 Posts

NOTE: the two diagrams are DIFFERENT, because of different year models
#10 first dia is 90-94
#12 second dia is 95-2000
the photo below is the strut rods from my 1999.
also showing the bushings from an earlier repair.
Attached Thumbnails Radius Arms and Sturt rod -Same thing?-srb-dots2.jpg  
Old 11-09-10, 11:40 AM
Max Power

Yeah but I am referring to the 90-94 models such as in the link I posted.

Quick Reply: Radius Arms and Sturt rod -Same thing?