LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

90 LS400 Transmission issue!! :/

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-09, 04:24 AM
Christian
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

i am sure there is something else wrong, but checking the ATF level is always the way to start!
So did you check it right or not?
Wrong level and oil can cause numerous faults!
Checking codes might be the next option and take a look under the car. Check the mounts or for any other abnormal signs.

Christian
Old 05-03-09, 03:42 PM
glenmore
Driver School Candidate

SlammedCell,

You need to understand that too much fluid is not good either. If you have too much fluid, as your checking seems to indicate, you MUST DRAIN fluid to the proper level. No one seems to be certain as to what happens when you run a car with too much engine oil or too much ATF. That is because NO ONE does it other than by accident. So drain ATF until you have the proper level. Check from when it was last serviced so you can determine if the proper fluid was used.

The misfiring seems to be a separate issue. That it stumbles in N and worse in D or R seems like it is an idle issue. I'd start with checking plugs and wires.

glenmore
1990 LS400
1991 300CE
2000 C280
Old 05-04-09, 02:47 PM
donthes
Driver School Candidate

Start small, check or replace things that are reasonable first, then go bigger from there. Flush the trans, fill it with the correct fluid. Also check the spark plugs. I had a friend who took his car to the wash, sprayed the engine and got water into the plug holes, jerked like a ***** until he cleaned the water out.
Old 05-04-09, 03:30 PM
SlammedCel
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Christian
Hi,

i am sure there is something else wrong, but checking the ATF level is always the way to start!
So did you check it right or not?
Wrong level and oil can cause numerous faults!
Checking codes might be the next option and take a look under the car. Check the mounts or for any other abnormal signs.

Christian
I have drained the trans fluid to the appropriate level but the symptoms are still there. The fluid is still a nice clearish red but I am unsure if it is the right type IV fluid.

Originally Posted by glenmore
SlammedCell,

You need to understand that too much fluid is not good either. If you have too much fluid, as your checking seems to indicate, you MUST DRAIN fluid to the proper level. No one seems to be certain as to what happens when you run a car with too much engine oil or too much ATF. That is because NO ONE does it other than by accident. So drain ATF until you have the proper level. Check from when it was last serviced so you can determine if the proper fluid was used.

The misfiring seems to be a separate issue. That it stumbles in N and worse in D or R seems like it is an idle issue. I'd start with checking plugs and wires.

glenmore
1990 LS400
1991 300CE
2000 C280
I have drained the fluid glemore but still no change. I disconnected my MAF last night but all it did was start up and stall. I know that my plugs and leads haven't been replaced. Also there is a strong fuel smell like it is running extremely rich. I let the car idle for 5 mins and the smell of fuel is unbearable. It looks like from the tailpipes it is burning raw fuel or a mixture of water. Could it be MAF related?

I think I may have multipule issues!! uggggh!

Originally Posted by donthes
Start small, check or replace things that are reasonable first, then go bigger from there. Flush the trans, fill it with the correct fluid. Also check the spark plugs. I had a friend who took his car to the wash, sprayed the engine and got water into the plug holes, jerked like a ***** until he cleaned the water out.
I am going to book the car in today for a full trans flush and refill with the right fluid. Would ignition or fuel issues be picked up by a diagnostic?

I just want the car running right but without getting stung $1000s at a dealership.

Thanks for everyones help! Much appreciated.
Old 05-07-09, 01:52 PM
Vdog15
Driver School Candidate

Im having the same problem. Just changed my filter and Toyota Type IV Trans fluid at 5.23 a qt. Still I bought it changed the filter, the first day it was fine, now in the morning its slips until the car is warm I guess then it works fine. I know I need a trans mount, but thats not causing the slippage. Also, on my Trans Dipstick, it shows Type II trans fluid, not type IV.
So why 4 if its not on the stick?
Old 05-09-09, 01:01 AM
SlammedCel
Driver School Candidate

Hi everyone, update the car is working fine finally! Went into the dealer today and had a full trans flush and fill with the toyota atf type IV fluid and the mis firing was caused by water in the spark plug seat, the blew it out and dried it with air along with the rest of the spark plugs and it is now running great. My leads and plugs are next on the list to replace.

My transmission now shifts smoother and the drive is extremely quiet! My trans mount is worn but not in need of replacing as yet.

Thankyou for everyone that helped and gave me information or things to try it really helped!

Vdog, im not sure what your problem is but your transmission may be on its way out but someone on here may help, it is a great source of info!

Old 05-09-09, 04:56 PM
Bali26
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Vdog15
Im having the same problem. Just changed my filter and Toyota Type IV Trans fluid at 5.23 a qt. Still I bought it changed the filter, the first day it was fine, now in the morning its slips until the car is warm I guess then it works fine. I know I need a trans mount, but thats not causing the slippage. Also, on my Trans Dipstick, it shows Type II trans fluid, not type IV.
So why 4 if its not on the stick?
Your fluid is low. Sometimes it needs more than it says on dipstick. Try 1/2 liter.

Type 4 includes type 2.