LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

90 LS400 Transmission issue!! :/

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-09, 12:33 AM
SlammedCel
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 90 LS400 Transmission issue!! :/

Hi everyone,

Now before anyone says anything, I have searched and spent the last couple of hours reading alot of posts relating to my problem but now I thought it was time to let everyone know what is happening and get some feedback.

I own a 1990 ls400 and of late I have spent a fortune on repairs, timing belt, all new brakes, machined rotors, trailing arm bushes, new ac compressor and gas and most of all JIC coilovers. My transmission has a tendency to slip within 10 mins of start up I would be at a stop sign and the car wouldnt go forward unless I gave it some rev then it would engage gear and also it sometimes wont hold on a incline if I am in drive and gradually roll back.

On my way home today I put my foot down to overtake a car and I heard a clunk as it downchanged, I backed off then put my foot down again same thing, clunk then downchange and accelerate. Thought this was quite strange so after 5 - 10 mins more of driving I was going around a corner then the car started to vibrate quite severely as i accelerated. It would slowly vibrate through the steering wheel, transmission, and car without the foot on the pedal but once I accelerated it was very bad! I pulled over checked everything and even in drive with my foot on the brake in the carpark the car vibrated very bad! I got the car home luckily but even on the highway the revs would die down and pick up and it felt as if the trans was slipping?

Once home I jumped on here to check out possible causes. Everything seems to be pointing to the transmission mount and the fluid as well, I reversed back and forth to see if the engine flexed etc but it seems to be fine. Am I on the right track?

I called toyota and the have a trans mount but before I go replacing the mount or get taken for a ride by a workshop, I want to know if possible there could be something wrong with my transmission.

The car has 180 000+km. Attached is a photo.

Thankyou for any help anyone can give!

Attached Thumbnails 90 LS400 Transmission issue!! :/-cel.jpg  
Old 05-01-09, 12:40 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

sounds like you have random generic dexron/mercon spec trans fluid in it instead of toyota t-iv like you should...
Old 05-01-09, 12:57 AM
SlammedCel
Driver School Candidate

hi pure drifter. would I also have a issue with the trans mount, just seems strange a of sudden as I put my foot down etc the vibration started, could I possibly stuffed the mount completely if it was already worn and on its way out?
Old 05-01-09, 01:16 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

possibly, but it would have nothing to do with with slipping you are experiencing.
Old 05-01-09, 02:18 AM
donthes
Driver School Candidate

Any changes to the trans oil, pan or gaskets lately? Have you noticed any leaks or smoke?
Old 05-01-09, 04:56 AM
SlammedCel
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
possibly, but it would have nothing to do with with slipping you are experiencing.
thanks, so more than likely it will need a auto flush etc, i will check the fluid level/condition tomorrow.

Originally Posted by donthes
Any changes to the trans oil, pan or gaskets lately? Have you noticed any leaks or smoke?
no leaks or smoke and the last time anything was touched near the auto trans would be over a year ago when I had the speedo drive replaced.
Old 05-01-09, 08:01 AM
glenmore
Driver School Candidate

First thing to check is the ATF level and the condition of the fluid. If you are lucky, it is just low on fluid. If you aren't, they'll be crap in the fluid. Toyota Type-IV ATF is mandatory. A new tranny mount is not going to solve the slipping and vibration. Whatever is wrong, it is much more serious than that. If it were my car, I'd be praying that my tranny wasn't toast.

glenmore
1990 LS400
1991 300CE
2000 C280
Old 05-01-09, 02:48 PM
SlammedCel
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by glenmore
First thing to check is the ATF level and the condition of the fluid. If you are lucky, it is just low on fluid. If you aren't, they'll be crap in the fluid. Toyota Type-IV ATF is mandatory. A new tranny mount is not going to solve the slipping and vibration. Whatever is wrong, it is much more serious than that. If it were my car, I'd be praying that my tranny wasn't toast.

glenmore
1990 LS400
1991 300CE
2000 C280
Hi Glen, I am going to check the trans fluid level this morning and see if it is low and what it looks like. The only reason I suspect a busted trans mount is that once I heard the clunking from putting my foot down within 5 - 10 mins the car had a sudden vibration on acceleration etc, its either that or a stuffed tranny!
Old 05-01-09, 11:30 PM
SlammedCel
Driver School Candidate

UPDATE: I have checked the trans fluid level cold and it was showing full/hot, cleaned it, dipped it in again and showed the same thing totally full as if the car has been running.

I started the car up and let it idle in N, gave it a rev and it stuttered until 1500rpm then sounded fine also shuddered the car slightly.

If I put it in D or R it will shudder very severely! If i rest my foot on the brake in either D or R it will vibrate and sort of sound like it is mis firing. When I let it idle in P it is blowing sort of grey light smoke out of the tailpipes with a misfiring sound

Is it possible out of coincidence that I have done a spark plug or something? I am stumped and I would like to get a good idea of possible things wrong before I take it to a dealer on tuesday.

Thanks for everyones help! much appreciated!!
Old 05-01-09, 11:39 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

its overfilled and overfilled most likely with the wrong type of fluid.
Old 05-01-09, 11:47 PM
SlammedCel
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
its overfilled and overfilled most likely with the wrong type of fluid.
Would that cause all the symptoms I am talking about?
Old 05-02-09, 12:23 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

very likely.
Old 05-02-09, 02:22 AM
SlammedCel
Driver School Candidate

hmmm, if it is overfilled and with the wrong fluid wouldn't the symptoms shown up sooner being at least a year since any fluid was put into the transmission?

I am going to take a audio of it tomorrow so ppl can hear what my car sounds like etc. I really appreciate the help!
Old 05-02-09, 04:08 PM
Christian
Pole Position

Hello,

did you check the level while the engine was running?
It sounds like you did not and that means you did not do it right!
Checking the ATF level:
Start engine and put the lever into each gear for about 10 seconds, than check the level while the engine is running! Level should be at cold/max when the engine is cold.
I am guessing that you do have multiple issues!

Christian
Old 05-02-09, 04:36 PM
SlammedCel
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Christian
Hello,

did you check the level while the engine was running?
It sounds like you did not and that means you did not do it right!
Checking the ATF level:
Start engine and put the lever into each gear for about 10 seconds, than check the level while the engine is running! Level should be at cold/max when the engine is cold.
I am guessing that you do have multiple issues!

Christian
Hi Christian, I have checked the fluid level numerous times and it is always showing full. I don't understand how all my issues I have described would happen all of a sudden if it has the wrong fluid and is overfull in the trans.

It could be a part of the problem but I thought that it maybe more to do with a busted trans mount or something as it happened immediately the vibrations and shuddering.

Quick Reply: 90 LS400 Transmission issue!! :/