LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

About to significantly modify 1997 LS400. Thoughts/opinions? What am I missing?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-09, 11:00 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

please buy good tires, my last set of 20s cost me less than my last set of 18s because there is less rubber used in the sidewall from a 245/45-18 than a 245/35-20

which is why i can run staggered and not ***** about tire prices
Old 05-05-09, 11:45 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

its ok man, i'm sure it will look good anyway. you're not building a vip car so you don't have to follow the same standards as i do. post pics when you're done!
Old 05-05-09, 09:24 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

no worries , it is hard to sell an existing car to start a new one , but when you want to spends more thand $3000 on mods you get the most bang for your buck with this one upgrade than anything wheels and suspension could give you.

Good luck it is a nice platform either way.
Old 05-05-09, 09:45 PM
Matador
Racer

If you're concerned with road conditions and tire prices you might be better off with a reasonably aggressive 18" wheel. Some may say they are a tad small on the big body, but a good offset + stance will solve that. Stock body on 20s just always throws me off a bit. If you dont have it juuuust right it doesnt work at all. Dont worry too much about having to roll your fenders, its not a big deal. The shop will just heat up the fender so the paint can flex and use a fender roller to roll the lip flat. You may get some minor cracks on the underside, but you can seal them with touch up paint.
Old 05-06-09, 04:14 PM
Mugen_1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I keep hearing people talk about "aggressive" 18" wheels. What are some of these aggressive wheels?

I like 20sburning's 20"s on his LS. He had it dropped on Tanabes in the pic I saw, but it looked very nice. I'm also a fan of the LS headmotion was looking to get that had 20" MRR GT1s already on it.

I'm planning on getting the rims+tires first ($550 for 245/35 R20 Yokohamas from a local dealer; mounted, balanced, tax, the whole nine yards), mounting them up and then see where I stand with the default offset. From there, I'll see about fender rolling (it'll prob get done anyway) and spacers to push the rears to +20 from default +45.

The only thing I perceive as being a problem is the Megans. The fronts won't be hard at all from what I've gathered, but removing the back seat and drilling into the parcel shelf to fit the extension ***** is something one shop I've already talked to doesn't feel comfortable doing.

Perhaps, then, a stupid question: If the **** extensions are flexible, why can't they be re-routed through the trunk? Just a thought.

Anyway, I'm going to the bank in a couple days to see about this loan. Hopefully this works out and all this discussion hasn't been in vain
Old 05-06-09, 04:31 PM
Vincent123
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

aggressive =

Old 05-06-09, 05:39 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by Mugen_1
I keep hearing people talk about "aggressive" 18" wheels. What are some of these aggressive wheels?

I like 20sburning's 20"s on his LS. He had it dropped on Tanabes in the pic I saw, but it looked very nice. I'm also a fan of the LS headmotion was looking to get that had 20" MRR GT1s already on it.

I'm planning on getting the rims+tires first ($550 for 245/35 R20 Yokohamas from a local dealer; mounted, balanced, tax, the whole nine yards), mounting them up and then see where I stand with the default offset. From there, I'll see about fender rolling (it'll prob get done anyway) and spacers to push the rears to +20 from default +45.

The only thing I perceive as being a problem is the Megans. The fronts won't be hard at all from what I've gathered, but removing the back seat and drilling into the parcel shelf to fit the extension ***** is something one shop I've already talked to doesn't feel comfortable doing.

Perhaps, then, a stupid question: If the **** extensions are flexible, why can't they be re-routed through the trunk? Just a thought.

Anyway, I'm going to the bank in a couple days to see about this loan. Hopefully this works out and all this discussion hasn't been in vain
tire price is reasonable, not GREAT but a decent price. if the shop doesnt feel comfortable FIND ANOTHER SHOP. you can't route it to the trunk because the shock mounts to the parcel shelf. you CANT CHANGE THE SHOCKS WITHOUT REMOVING THE REAR SEAT.

and the **** extensions arent THAT flexible anyways. you don't need to drill anything, i just cat a 1/2inch slit in the parcel shelf with a razor and the extension went through fine after taking one **** off.
Old 05-07-09, 06:23 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

yeah you dont' need big holes drilled. a small slit like puredrifter said and you'll be fine. do it yourself after you get the coils installed.

i love the vip LS that vincent123 posted but that is a super aggressive fitment, obviously more than you want. i dont' have a problem with 18's on an LS, i think they look fine if the offset if really spot on and the wheel design is good.

why not consider 19's.... a little bigger for that visual impact you're after, but also less expensive for tires and wheels and you could use a little more sidewall than with teh 20.
i love my 19's... the second set of 19's i've put on an LS. my current ones definitely need some spacers int eh rear though.

first (actually 2nd LS i had but no pics of the first one):
19x9.5 all the way around, spacers used to get the offset right. cnat' remember the specs though.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

and my current LS
19x8.5 front, 19x9.5 rear
spacers in front, stock rear now, my 35mm spacers were just a little too big. gong to try some 25mm's next.

Last edited by 19psi; 05-07-09 at 06:28 AM.
Old 05-07-09, 06:26 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

gdamn that is sexy.
Old 05-07-09, 02:13 PM
Mugen_1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sick car 19psi

I went to a body shop today to get an estimate for rolling my fenders. If I run a +35 up front, do I need the fronts rolled? Anyway, he was most concerned about the rears...he told me that he could try, but that the part of the fender closest to the door was structurally integral and couldn't be rolled. He also said I'd end up having to repaint my entire car just to have that done.

Now, reading back on all of yours advice, I know painting isn't necessary. I also know that I should avoid any shop that will "try" to do something.

So as of now it looks like it'll be default +35 front and +45 rears until I can find somewhere who knows what they're doing.

You guys out in Cali and the major cities seem to have this so much easier :P

Po dunk Southern Illinois is hardly a customizing stronghold. Unless, of course, you have a beat up truck that you want jacked 10' up in the air with an exhaust system louder than a supernova explosion.
Old 05-07-09, 05:09 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

find another shop, when you roll the fenders you just need the top half or so rolled, in the rear.
Old 05-07-09, 06:38 PM
Matador
Racer

Like PD said, its mostly the top half of the arc that rubs. Shop around for a better shop or find a local member with some DIY experience. My car wouldnt be much without some DIY buddies.
Old 05-08-09, 05:33 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mugen_1
Sick car 19psi

I went to a body shop today to get an estimate for rolling my fenders. If I run a +35 up front, do I need the fronts rolled? Anyway, he was most concerned about the rears...he told me that he could try, but that the part of the fender closest to the door was structurally integral and couldn't be rolled. He also said I'd end up having to repaint my entire car just to have that done.

Now, reading back on all of yours advice, I know painting isn't necessary. I also know that I should avoid any shop that will "try" to do something.

So as of now it looks like it'll be default +35 front and +45 rears until I can find somewhere who knows what they're doing.

You guys out in Cali and the major cities seem to have this so much easier :P

Po dunk Southern Illinois is hardly a customizing stronghold. Unless, of course, you have a beat up truck that you want jacked 10' up in the air with an exhaust system louder than a supernova explosion.

thanks... i liked my fitment on my first gen in the links i posted much better though.

try to hook up with some guys locally who are into drifting...look for a local street racing/car enthusiast board. they do a lot of fender rollling as well and maybe one of them has a fender rolller. yes, there is actually a device for rolling fenders. www.tirerack.com sells them.
there's a guy locally who's into 240sx's who actually bought one and rents it out to people.
and hey watch what you say about trucks buddy! i love my jacked up trucks!
Old 05-14-09, 10:09 PM
jbracefan1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow!! looking forward to those mods mugen_1. cars gonna be awesome. you see, I have the magnaflow 14225 too and I just cant get enough of it , they were cheaper on ebay but I wanted a warranty (the salt on the roads here in winter kills an exhaust) so I got it here magnaflow 14225 , or you can try one of the vendors here, they are always running sales/specials. either way its a great system and very easy to install. good luck. and when you're done, pics!!!!

Last edited by jbracefan1; 03-24-10 at 09:49 AM.